British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The trades in ozz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/trades-ozz-497201/)

marksm3 Nov 30th 2007 10:01 pm

The trades in ozz

Hi all i have had a look and can not find a thread that may help anyone who is in process of immigrating or has actually been lucky enough to get there and is a tradesman, I thought it would be good if everyone could help each other out as in info on what earnings are for each trade and is there plenty of work for us tradesmen like they say there is, for example i am in process of a skilled migration 175 as a general plumber, obviously its different in uk as i am a plumber heating and gas engineer. is there anyone either in ozz or who knows alot about work over there that may have some usefull info, i have been told by an aquaintance that when he was in brisbane working as a plumber, he was earning around $1500 a week, this seems to be true info also from an online paper from ozz i was reading. anyway this thread can be for all trades, hey maybe people over there could let the ones who are on there way there know of any places looking for tradesmen.

mark

Hutch Nov 30th 2007 10:16 pm

Re: The trades in ozz

There's a special section of this site just for plumbers mate - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119 - you're far better off asking specific questions like that in there. :)

Timber Floor Au Nov 30th 2007 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by marksm3 (Post 5619586)
Hi all i have had a look and can not find a thread that may help anyone who is in process of immigrating or has actually been lucky enough to get there and is a tradesman, I thought it would be good if everyone could help each other out as in info on what earnings are for each trade and is there plenty of work for us tradesmen like they say there is, for example i am in process of a skilled migration 175 as a general plumber, obviously its different in uk as i am a plumber heating and gas engineer. is there anyone either in ozz or who knows alot about work over there that may have some usefull info, i have been told by an aquaintance that when he was in brisbane working as a plumber, he was earning around $1500 a week, this seems to be true info also from an online paper from ozz i was reading. anyway this thread can be for all trades, hey maybe people over there could let the ones who are on there way there know of any places looking for tradesmen.

mark

Gday Mark.

theres shit loads of threads on here about tradies, and wages...

Basically in a nut shell... dollar to pound will give you equivalent lifestyle to what you have now...

so if you earn 500 quid a week in uk.. that goes about as far as 500 bucks a week in oz..

Thats a very general generalization.. but most plumbers are on between.. $35-$60 bucks an hr.

So reckon you could be bang on the mark for earnings.

marksm3 Dec 2nd 2007 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5619634)
Gday Mark.

Basically in a nut shell... dollar to pound will give you equivalent lifestyle to what you have now...

so if you earn 500 quid a week in uk.. that goes about as far as 500 bucks a week in oz..

Thats a very general generalization.. but most plumbers are on between.. $35-$60 bucks an hr.

thanks for the reply mate, good info. notice you are in air con, thats something i want to learn when i get there too if possible.

cheers

Sheff_Sparky Dec 2nd 2007 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5619634)
Gday Mark.

that will do me, that's all i wanted to know. happy now. thanks for that