TRADE UNIONS..hmmm

Old Feb 2nd 2018, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRADE UNIONS..hmmm

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ozzie. They are contractors. They run their own businesses. They pay their own super. If they don't want to contract to Oz Post, then they find another business to run. Oz post is not holding a gun to their head. If its so bad and they all walk away, Oz post will need to find another delivery model.

In addition they get tax breaks by running their own business. Van, fuel, sunscreen, laundry, whatever. They have flexibility, they work their own hours, they can hire.

And as for the students they hire, if they are being forced to work more than the allowable time, then go to the authorities. They are breaking the rules.

Your article does not look at both sides of the coin. It focusses on one side. That is typical of the ABC.
You really don't have a frigging clue.

These people are desperate for work as they are without access to benefits and are easily exploited. The employers love them as it threatens the local workforce. Take your blinkers off for once and have a good look at whats going on.

14 hour days the Parcel Drivers do, For about 200 bucks per day. No super, no holidays, no sick pay, and a free 200K kilometer van, which generally is clapped out.

Not sure how many times I've got to repeat the same message, It's happening in the 100,000's across Australia in all kinds of industries.

As for the drivers, why do you think Amazon turned back to Aus Post Unionised employees.... because the contract drivers are the bottom of the barrel, exploited, desperate, english as a second language, confused as ****, hapless illiterates. The vast majority of Parcel drivers in Melbourne come under this header as the wages are so bloody low across the whole industry, which Aus Post has dictated the wages to the point that Amazon cannot trust the contractors. Couriers please and Toll's are even worse off than the Aus Post contractors, as they have to pay a commission back to the companies.

Never a truer phrase, Pay peanuts and get Monkeys.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 2nd 2018 at 2:05 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go fill your boots....

Fruits of their labour: Investigation into exploitation of migrant fruit picking workers in Australia

It's happening everywhere, including Child Care centers, Factories, Retail, Small Business.

I could probably go up to Campbellfield right now a large industrial park about 15ks north of me and find over 200 of these exploited underpaid workers in one area.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 2nd 2018 at 2:12 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You really don't have a frigging clue.

These people are desperate for work as they are without access to benefits and are easily exploited. The employers love them as it threatens the local workforce. Take your blinkers off for once and have a good look at whats going on.

14 hour days the Parcel Drivers do, For about 200 bucks per day. No super, no holidays, no sick pay, and a free 200K kilometer van, which generally is clapped out.

Not sure how many times I've got to repeat the same message, It's happening in the 100,000's across Australia in all kinds of industries.

As for the drivers, why do you think Amazon turned back to Aus Post Unionised employees.... because the contract drivers are the bottom of the barrel, exploited, desperate, english as a second language, confused as ****, hapless illiterates. The vast majority of Parcel drivers in Melbourne come under this header as the wages are so bloody low across the whole industry, which Aus Post has dictated the wages to the point that Amazon cannot trust the contractors. Couriers please and Toll's are even worse off than the Aus Post contractors, as they have to pay a commission back to the companies.

Never a truer phrase, Pay peanuts and get Monkeys.
Ozzie. You said in post 145 that that these are 457 workers then later said they were imported workers. Firstly a 457 needs employee sponsorship. Secondly there is a minimum wage to 457. If either of those rules a being broken, bring them to account.

But I don't think the two tie in this case. They sound more like students or refugees.

And as you have said before, when their english improves they are off. The beauty of capitalism.

If they are contractors they have benefits employees don't have. If they are employees they have benefits, super and minimum wages. Its pretty simple.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go fill your boots....

Fruits of their labour: Investigation into exploitation of migrant fruit picking workers in Australia

It's happening everywhere, including Child Care centers, Factories, Retail, Small Business.

I could probably go up to Campbellfield right now a large industrial park about 15ks north of me and find over 200 of these exploited underpaid workers in one area.
Ozzie. This is an illegal immigrant. No union or minimum wage is going to sort this guy out or his employers out. He is illegal. His employers are breaking the law employing him in the first place.

What is a union or minimum wage going to do here?
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzie. This is an illegal immigrant. No union or minimum wage is going to sort this guy out or his employers out. He is illegal. His employers are breaking the law employing him in the first place.

What is a union or minimum wage going to do here?

I'm pointing out that there are plenty of unscrupulous employers. That's where the main thrust of the problem lies. Always working on crafty dodgy ways to cut conditions and wages. The exact bottom line reason we need the safety net of Trade unions.

I'm not blaming foreign workers at all. I'm blaming the fact that they are not employed under award conditions.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 5:54 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pointing out that there are plenty of unscrupulous employers. That's where the main thrust of the problem lies. Always working on crafty dodgy ways to cut conditions and wages. The exact bottom line reason we need the safety net of Trade unions.

I'm not blaming foreign workers at all. I'm blaming the fact that they are not employed under award conditions.
I've spent my entire adult life self employed. I briefly worked for a local authority [subcontracting]when I was 22 and just out of my apprenticeship. The shop steward forced me into joining the union then shafted me 5 months later. I'll never join another one. I've never forgotten how he lied to management and blackmailed my apprentice into changing his story. Corruption is just as rife among unions as it ever is among employees. The big difference is that one is supposed to be fighting for the rights of employees, not using the union credit card to pay for prostitutes.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzie. I have just picked massive holes in both your articles. Cresta shot down the other.

I think its time you really dug a little deeper here rather than reading the first paragraph bluster in this left wing trash.

You picked one farmer, employing illegals. Naughty farmer, naughty illegal.

Why does one story, riddled with criminal elements give you the impression all employers are crims?
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

He thinks businesses are using 457's (or whatever its called now) to employ people cheaper than what it would cost to employ someone locally.

But I am also sure he wants to believe businesses are paying 457's (or whatever its called now) less than the award rate. That would sit with his deluded arguments quite nicely.
The delusion sits with you I'm afraid. only I suspect you are fully aware what is going on and applaud it on, making it a worse look for you obviously.

Yes they are in many instances paid under what the original term of agreement was. I have noted this on another thread with rates between the $52,000 to $57,000 bracket.

I'm afraid the neoliberal economic model constantly aired by brainless ideologues is creating irreparable damage to this country.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've spent my entire adult life self employed. I briefly worked for a local authority [subcontracting]when I was 22 and just out of my apprenticeship. The shop steward forced me into joining the union then shafted me 5 months later. I'll never join another one. I've never forgotten how he lied to management and blackmailed my apprentice into changing his story. Corruption is just as rife among unions as it ever is among employees. The big difference is that one is supposed to be fighting for the rights of employees, not using the union credit card to pay for prostitutes.

You may just spare a thought for those attempting to survive in the modern work place, whom are not self employed. I know. Heard your story before and how you hate unions, but at the end of the day the union is the only place many can turn, in time of persecution and worse. They will at least ensure legal steps are followed to the letter of the law. There are far too many 'little tyrants' in positions of power these days that believe almost they have the right over life and death.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzie. I have just picked massive holes in both your articles. Cresta shot down the other.

I think its time you really dug a little deeper here rather than reading the first paragraph bluster in this left wing trash.

You picked one farmer, employing illegals. Naughty farmer, naughty illegal.

Why does one story, riddled with criminal elements give you the impression all employers are crims?

Here you go again. Belittling a perfectly sensible poster. Time you dug a little deeper and stopped with your repetitious ideological crap. It's perfectly acceptable to argue your side, but to continue arguing the neo liberal model by addressing the counter argument as left wing trash, just shows beyond the sound bytes you possess no argument at all.

There are cases galore of foreign workers of all hues, from international students to backpackers (slave labour) to 457's being abused. As you say dig a little deeper, in order to get the Bigger Picture.....
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've only been involved with unions at Aus Post. So since the age of 41. I've never seen a shop steward Lie or cheat. In fact quite the opposite.

The main thrust of our duties as Shop Stewards at Aus Post, is maintaining conditions and health and Safety. Wages are 3rd on the list of importance... Maintaining conditions are by far the top priority. Those conditions are under attack all the time.

Having said that, in Victoria they believe in their hearts that the union movement here is 100pct for the workers and all workers at that, including non union members, and not in self-interest for the individual. They take the "Spirt of Eureka" very seriously here. Sadly elsewhere around the country, especially NSW it's not quite so true.

Having said that about NSW you'll find the main concern for the Sydney Railworkers would have been conditions, Rostering and short notice overtime clause changes in their case I understand. Strikes generally speaking come about over eroded conditions rather than wages, as you'll rarely make up the wages you lose striking over wages.... Whereas conditions are lost forever.

Trouble is people don't want to believe it's not about money....Find a rail worker and ask. You'll find I'm right.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

I do like this idea of cheaper corporate tax where staff paid more
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:56 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been involved with unions at Aus Post. So since the age of 41. I've never seen a shop steward Lie or cheat. In fact quite the opposite.

The main thrust of our duties as Shop Stewards at Aus Post, is maintaining conditions and health and Safety. Wages are 3rd on the list of importance... Maintaining conditions are by far the top priority. Those conditions are under attack all the time.

Having said that, in Victoria they believe in their hearts that the union movement here is 100pct for the workers and all workers at that, including non union members, and not in self-interest for the individual. They take the "Spirt of Eureka" very seriously here. Sadly elsewhere around the country, especially NSW it's not quite so true.

Having said that about NSW you'll find the main concern for the Sydney Railworkers would have been conditions, Rostering and short notice overtime clause changes in their case I understand. Strikes generally speaking come about over eroded conditions rather than wages, as you'll rarely make up the wages you lose striking over wages.... Whereas conditions are lost forever.

Trouble is people don't want to believe it's not about money....Find a rail worker and ask. You'll find I'm right.
Yeah down there in Vic they also believe 100% that it's O.K to use your girlfriend to set up union slush funds, so long as they renovate her house. They believe in extorting $400,000 from building companies & they firmly believe in trying to cover it all up. They believe in using bikie gangs as hired union muscle. They believe in forming close ties with criminal underworld bosses.
The only thing they don't believe in would be "Operation Heracles"
Union corruption is rife in every state, trying to paint Victorian ones as pure as the driven is futile. What irks me most is that the money used to fund their lavish lifestyles is money paid to unions by workers that feel they need protecting, they do, usually from corrupt union officials.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah down there in Vic they also believe 100% that it's O.K to use your girlfriend to set up union slush funds, so long as they renovate her house. They believe in extorting $400,000 from building companies & they firmly believe in trying to cover it all up. They believe in using bikie gangs as hired union muscle. They believe in forming close ties with criminal underworld bosses.
The only thing they don't believe in would be "Operation Heracles"
Union corruption is rife in every state, trying to paint Victorian ones as pure as the driven is futile. What irks me most is that the money used to fund their lavish lifestyles is money paid to unions by workers that feel they need protecting, they do, usually from corrupt union officials.
I guess conversely you think that every boss is pure white as the driven snow and wouldn't exploit a worker at any time.

The few do spoil it for the many..... However it's been proven as in every 7/11 store in Australia that when it comes for an employer to part with wages they will try every trick in the book.

Then there's heritage conservation. Unions have saved all these buildings in Melbourne by blocking development on them.

The union went on to save a number of significant sites around Australia. In Melbourne, among many, these include the City Baths, Regent and Princess Theatres and the Windsor Hotel. The bans also stopped the construction of a car park and all-night restaurant in the Botanic Gardens.

Regent Theatre

Princess Theatre

Windsor Hotel

City Baths

All of the above buildings would have been lost to developers, except the unions stepped forward in front of corrupt city planners and black banned all work on them. In fact the Victorian Unions have saved buildings all over the country. By stepping forward and making things happen.

I can guarantee the vast majority of Melburnians thank them for that. Plus the dozens of others they've saved.

You've only got to look at the sad state of the rest of the capital cities around Australia to see what happens when you don't have very active unions, who engage with the community in saving heritage. Melbournes Cities heritage buildings is 100pct down to the union movement. Look what has happened to Sydney and Brisbane..... ripped and raped.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 3rd 2018 at 10:25 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 10:48 pm

I guess conversely you think that every boss is pure white as the driven snow and wouldn't exploit a worker at any time.

The few do spoil it for the many..... However it's been proven as in every 7/11 store in Australia that when it comes for an employer to part with wages they will try every trick in the book.

Then there's heritage conservation. Unions have saved all these buildings in Melbourne by blocking development on them.

The union went on to save a number of significant sites around Australia. In Melbourne, among many, these include the City Baths, Regent and Princess Theatres and the Windsor Hotel. The bans also stopped the construction of a car park and all-night restaurant in the Botanic Gardens.

Regent Theatre
http://www.visentingiovanni.com/img/...-melbourne.jpg

Princess Theatre
https://whatsonblog.melbourne.vic.go...o-1024x619.jpg

Windsor Hotel

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QgXs1mmJ9D...r_exterior.jpg

City Baths

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Baths_2013.jpg

All of the above buildings would have been lost to developers, except the unions stepped forward in front of corrupt city planners and black banned all work on them. In fact the Victorian Unions have saved buildings all over the country. By stepping forward and making things happen.

I can guarantee the vast majority of Melburnians thank them for that. Plus the dozens of others they've saved.
I expect bosses to exploit workers, if you owned a company you'd want a fair day's work from your employees. I watch all those workers in unions stand around and watch while one bloke digs a hole. I've watched office workers gossip around the water cooler. I've watched plenty of employees use company property for private use etc.etc.
As an employer working "on the tools" I know full well when blokes are taking liberties, for example: I can complete one half of a duplex on my own and they take an extra day with two of them yet want the same pay. Not to mention using twice as much adhesive so they have a couple of bags for a weekend cashie. When employees treat employers with the same courtesy that they demand via unions I'll be a happy man.
Had I worked for Auspost for the last 30 years protected by a union I might well have an entirely different perspective. I haven't had that luxury I've had to negotiate a mutually accepted rate for every job I've done for the last 30 years. You'd be just as cynical in my position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.