British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Totally stuffed up with the ATO (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/totally-stuffed-up-ato-906115/)

moneypenny20 Dec 7th 2017 3:43 am

Re: Totally stuffed up with the ATO

Originally Posted by astera (Post 12394584)
Really? What if someone doesn't live in Oz but just opened an account there - surely the w/h takes care of matters and annual returns aren't expected from all foreign account holders? That would be a bureaucratic nightmare...

Yeah, I've heard of a similar one from the UK where you need to inform them that you are departing permanently. I believe the one in the UK actually makes you certify that you are leaving for a REAL JOB, so that you cannot just cut yourself loose by going on a permanent vacation... :)

Polly mentioned a while back I believe that the landing/departure cards are simply collecting general/statistical data from passengers. As for the electoral roll I got shafted by not receiving any letters concerning a fine for not voting... even though I was overseas at the time. The fine was posted, but the family thought they shouldn't interfere with my personal correspondence. :)

They've stopped the Leaving Australia cards now. No longer interested apparently.

Amazulu Dec 9th 2017 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12386897)
For reasons I can't recall (insanity, probably) I thought that when I left Australia, I wouldn't need to fill in any more tax returns. The only money I'd be getting was bank interest, I'd given my bank my overseas address, and the amount of the interest would be under the tax free threshold each year.

What a wally. The interest was subject to withholding tax as I was no longer a tax resident of Australia. The tax free threshold doesn't apply because I'm not an Oz tax resident. The bank didn't withhold the tax, I didn't keep on top of it by checking at the end of each financial year - so a few days ago I received an email from my.gov telling me to check my messages.

$1,800 penalty from the ATO for 3 years non-lodgement of tax returns, and a very strong warning to get my tax affairs up to date as interest is accruing daily on the penalty.

Have just got off the phone to my former Australian accountant - it took 2 hours to sort out. I owe about a grand in tax and I'll probably still have to pay the $1,800, although he's requesting remission of all or part of the penalty.

That'll teach me :o

Relax. I've been fined by the ATG (Australian Taxation Gestapo) before and eventually got it rescinded. Plead mental stress and anxiety - it worked for me

the troubadour Dec 10th 2017 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12396704)
Relax. I've been fined by the ATG (Australian Taxation Gestapo) before and eventually got it rescinded. Plead mental stress and anxiety - it worked for me

A spell behind bars usually sees the slate wiped clean though.

Amazulu Dec 10th 2017 5:27 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12396960)
A spell behind bars usually sees the slate wiped clean though.

What's jail got to do with a fine from the ATO?

spouse of scouse Dec 10th 2017 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12396704)

:thumbup: