Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Totally shocked at grocery prices!

Wikiposts

Totally shocked at grocery prices!

Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Totally shocked at grocery prices!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It was just a colgate. Or maybe a crest. One of those high street ones beginning with a c anyway. I might have picked up one with extra special "whitening" powers but definitely a normal brand.
I take it you now have "Simon Cowell" teeth.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:48 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Mmmmmm honeydew melons for 99c each, WOW! But tell me this, why are the mangoes so expensive? Nearly $4 each!?
I have never understand why mangoes cost so much when they taste so revolting and have no real use except to provide food for clusters of disease infested bats.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I have never understand why mangoes cost so much when they taste so revolting and have no real use except to provide food for clusters of disease infested bats.
at last someone else who hates them
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:49 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
at last someone else who hates them
Make that three...I feel an anti-mango thread coming on.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Make that three...I feel an anti-mango thread coming on.
Four

Although I am the odd one out in this household...

Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:41 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Four

Although I am the odd one out in this household...
Yay! Mango haters of the World unite. Anyone want to second that with a hatred of paw paw as well?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:36 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! Mango haters of the World unite. Anyone want to second that with a hatred of paw paw as well?
Urrgggg paw paw it tastes like vomit!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:01 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

When we first arrived in Perth 11 years ago I bought all the fruit and veg from Coles. The quality was so bad it had almost rotted before I got it home (!), so I soon learned to go to the local fruit market which was much better if a bit more expensive.
The problem came when my oh went to buy some fruit one Saturday and I told him to go to the market instead of the supermarket. He came home looking a bit pale.... He'd fancied some cherries, so picked up a bag full, taken it to the checkout and handed over $46 for them!!! He was too embarrassed to put them back! He never really notices the price of things, but he was much more careful after that.
They were nice cherries though
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEM
When we first arrived in Perth 11 years ago I bought all the fruit and veg from Coles. The quality was so bad it had almost rotted before I got it home (!), so I soon learned to go to the local fruit market which was much better if a bit more expensive.
The problem came when my oh went to buy some fruit one Saturday and I told him to go to the market instead of the supermarket. He came home looking a bit pale.... He'd fancied some cherries, so picked up a bag full, taken it to the checkout and handed over $46 for them!!! He was too embarrassed to put them back! He never really notices the price of things, but he was much more careful after that.
They were nice cherries though
Did he buy like 10 kilos of them?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:40 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Did he buy like 10 kilos of them?

Not quite. My daughter said they were something like $16 a kilo. Obviously not in season - you live and learn!

He's always had an aversion to fruit - do you think he was making a point??
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:52 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEM
Not quite. My daughter said they were something like $16 a kilo. Obviously not in season - you live and learn!

He's always had an aversion to fruit - do you think he was making a point??
Have you asked him to do any further shopping for you?

If not, his cunning plan worked
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:55 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I can drink mango juice but I cannot eat fresh mango, it reminds me of sliced goldfish, not that I have ever eaten them but that is how I would imagine sliced goldfish to taste like.

Avocado - thats another one, looks like the products of a chest infection.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I can drink mango juice but I cannot eat fresh mango, it reminds me of sliced goldfish, not that I have ever eaten them but that is how I would imagine sliced goldfish to taste like.

Avocado is food of the gods.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

I'm with you on Avocado. There's not much I don't like to eat but that's one of them.
I love the taste of bananas but hate eating them - the texture makes me gag.
Other things I can't stomach:
Asparagus
Brussel sprouts - what kind of sadist invented these?
Coffee
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:36 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Mango
Paw Paw
Avocado

All slimy unpleasant things... Unfortunately the inlaws grow Paw Paw in their garden and we have a mango tree (complete with disease-ridden corrosive acid-shitting bats).

In-laws have a habit of picking the mangos before they ripen, eating them green & hard with a bit of salt... <weirdos>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.