Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Totally shocked at grocery prices!

Totally shocked at grocery prices!

Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all
Default Totally shocked at grocery prices!

We are on day 2 of our trip to Aus to activate our visas and to hopefully decide where to live. Whilst everything is great, my Wife and I are horrified at how expensive groceries are compared with the UK.

Here are a few examples

4 Mandarins, which originate from Aus are $7.50/Kg
500g box of Alpen. $11.44

I could go on, but the list would be very long.

Just intrigued as how people manage with such high food prices.

people say that wages are higher, but my salary in london is higher than I would get here in Perth, so from a disposable income side of things I would have a lot less over here.

Yours depressingly.

Justin
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Totally shocked at grocery prices!

Originally Posted by flanagaj
We are on day 2 of our trip to Aus to activate our visas and to hopefully decide where to live. Whilst everything is great, my Wife and I are horrified at how expensive groceries are compared with the UK.

Here are a few examples

people say that wages are higher, but my salary in london is higher than I would get here in Perth, so from a disposable income side of things I would have a lot less over here.

Yours depressingly.

Justin
Alpen from the UK I presume at that price?! Most cereals are around the $5 mark which is still higher but not $11.44! Fruit and veg sourced in Australia is expensive but it's worth shopping around. Unlike the UK, there are still plenty of independent greengrocers and butchers so you don't have to rely on the high priced supermarkets.........

And then just grin and bear it I'm afraid...........
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by itigo
Alpen from the UK I presume at that price?! Most cereals are around the $5 mark which is still higher but not $11.44! Fruit and veg sourced in Australia is expensive but it's worth shopping around. Unlike the UK, there are still plenty of independent greengrocers and butchers so you don't have to rely on the high priced supermarkets.........

And then just grin and bear it I'm afraid...........
Correct me if I am wrong, but from what we have seen food seems to be about 2.5 times higher than the UK ?

Is fruit much cheaper from the green grocers ?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:15 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Alpen is imported pommy food to be found on international shelves and in British shops. Ergo you pay for that. Instead consider the local or global brands.

But overall, I'd agree with you. Our costs of living here are reaching ridiculous and the cost of food is one of them. Wait until you get a power bill in, or your rates.

I know ABC will roll along and point out that he can find Mandarins at Aldi for 99c or something and then buy potatoes from the local shop and bread from a different place. Who can be arsed ? Not I for the main. I'm happy to use the local supplier if near the supermarket I frequent but prices are usually comparable.

I must say in Australia's defence however. Basing my experience on buying fruit and veg from Tescos when I went back last time, the quality here is much better. Not that I am willing to pay double for that but a point none the less.

Now - if there was an M&S food hall near me, I would probably donate an organ to be able to shop there....
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

You can and will get cheaper and better fruit at the markets. I used to head to Wanneroo market on a Sunday to stock up. You need to find the right seller as some do sell substandard fruit and veg but they are cheaper.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:21 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I initially thought the prices were shocking, then I found a brilliant green grocer and an excellent butcher, so now all I get in the supermarket are my basics! And as pointed out, the F&V is soooo much better here, it keeps for so much longer than it did in the UK as it's just so much fresher, or at least I think it is!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few examples

Yours depressingly.

Justin
Groceries are expensive here, but most people can afford them and eat well (if they can't then they are doing something wrong). Other things are cheaper here like fuel, rates and insurance. Other things like consumer electronics cost the same.

Swings and roundabouts. Overall I reckon the COL is similar - with the UK a bit cheaper.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:26 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few examples

Yours depressingly.

Justin
Were they the cheapest fruit and cereal available?

I just bought a 1.3kg box of Weetbix for $4 and a kilo of Granny Smith apples for $1.89. It all depends on your taste as to how much your shopping will cost.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:28 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Groceries are expensive here, but most people can afford them and eat well (if they can't then they are doing something wrong). Other things are cheaper here like fuel, rates and insurance. Other things like consumer electronics cost the same.

Swings and roundabouts. Overall I reckon the COL is similar - with the UK a bit cheaper.
Exactly, I managed to fill our CRV today for $45, which equates to about £28, who could complain about that?!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:32 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Exactly, I managed to fill our CRV today for $45, which equates to about £28, who could complain about that?!
Depends what you filled it with
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Put 55l of B20 bio-diesel in my Jetta yesterday - $65 or GBP41. That will last me just about 3 weeks and I do over 50kms a day commuting.

Not bad at all.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Put 55l of B20 bio-diesel in my Jetta yesterday - $65 or GBP41. That will last me just about 3 weeks and I do over 50kms a day commuting.

Not bad at all.
Indeedykins! I guess it all boils down to, if you want to move to Australia, you need to realise things are gonna be different, and just get on with it! Stop comparing to the UK and get on with it!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Indeedykins! I guess it all boils down to, if you want to move to Australia, you need to realise things are gonna be different, and just get on with it! Stop comparing to the UK and get on with it!
what Jen said

I went to the green grocers yesterday and bought 3 honey murcott oranges, 3 pears, half a watermelon, half a honeydew melon, half a rock melon, 3 kiwi fruits, half a pineapple, a punnet of strawberries, a small pack of green grapes (because they were a 3rd of the normal price), and a pack of cherry tomatoes - cost me $27. I don't think that's too expensive at all.

The trick with fruit and veg is to buy what's in season at the time. If you buy a kilo of grapes out of season expect to pay $20 per kilo, if you wait until they're in season then they'll cost $1 - $2...or better still grow your own like I do
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:29 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Wendy
what Jen said

I went to the green grocers yesterday and bought 3 honey murcott oranges, 3 pears, half a watermelon, half a honeydew melon, half a rock melon, 3 kiwi fruits, half a pineapple, a punnet of strawberries, a small pack of green grapes (because they were a 3rd of the normal price), and a pack of cherry tomatoes - cost me $27. I don't think that's too expensive at all.

The trick with fruit and veg is to buy what's in season at the time. If you buy a kilo of grapes out of season expect to pay $20 per kilo, if you wait until they're in season then they'll cost $1 - $2...or better still grow your own like I do
....but yes, Birkenstocks are expensive here lol
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

....but yes, Birkenstocks are expensive here lol

I bought some sandals yesterday from Big W, cost me $19 and they're comfy as! I love them You can keep your Birkies (yes, I realise they're probably not as comfy, but for $19 I aint complaining )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.