Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Topping up your National Insurance Contributions

Topping up your National Insurance Contributions

Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Topping up your National Insurance Contributions

For me this was the best financial deal i ever got ! Eternal Glory to those who introduced National Insurance ! Lloyd George take a bow !
Old Sep 13th 2020, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I checked my National Insurance contributions lately and found out, to my surprise, that I had 21 years of contributions (£94.86 per week) . I was surprised because I opted out in about 1988. However I was in the Territorial Army for 18 years and they paid my stamp every month. What a result, well worth the mild arthritis after so many sodden night on Otterburn moors. My wife also qualifies for 19 years.

We going through an agent to sort out our extra contributions. We emigrated in 2003 and I have work almost continuously over that time so I should qualify for part 2 contributions (£158.60 per year) . My wife was looking after the children and only returned to work 3 years ago so most of her years will be at Class 3 (£795.60 per year).

At the moment I'm not sure if we will pay all her missing years. We'll have to crunch the numbers in a month or 2 when we find out the cost.

This pension thing is all new to us and seems quite confusing. Can anyone help with my queries below?

If we both qualify for the full contributions pension of £168.80 ( $295) per week do we get £168.80 x 2 = £337.6 ($593) per week or is it less because we are a couple?

I believe we we will qualify for an Australian Pension as well.

Old Sep 29th 2020, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Zig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
I believe we we will qualify for an Australian Pension as well.
Yeahbut...

They take 50c off for every $1 over your allowance. I believe that is $87 a week currently.

UK pension is also frozen for Australian residents, so you don't get index linked increases.

Personally, I'll be claiming it in the UK and telling them I live in Italy, because EU residents do get the increases. I won't be eligible for the oz age pension as i saved too much of my own money

As far as I am aware you do not get less as a couple unlike the oz age pension.

Originally Posted by scot47
For me this was the best financial deal i ever got ! Eternal Glory to those who introduced National Insurance ! Lloyd George take a bow !
Yeah, it's great, isn't it?

I believe that only expatriates are even allowed to top up they NI contributions at the ridiculous low Class 2 rate as well.

See my note above about it reducing your oz age pension, and being frozen, though.

Originally Posted by paulry
Just a thought: According to my record I only need to contribute for three more years to be eligible for full state pension. Does this mean my direct debit arrangement will automatically cease in three years time or will I have to stop it?
They will keep taking it, you need to stop it yourself.

I make payments manually.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 29th 2020 at 9:18 am.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zig Zag Wanderer
I believe that only expatriates are even allowed to top up they NI contributions at the ridiculous low Class 2 rate as well.
Nope. Self employed are too.

Personally, I'll be claiming it in the UK and telling them I live in Italy, because EU residents do get the increases.
Excellent plan to commit fraud. And it's not as though they can easily check where you're resident or just see which country the bank account they're sending it to is in after all………oh, wait………

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 29th 2020 at 9:40 am.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Zig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Excellent plan to commit fraud. And it's not as though they can easily check where you're resident or just see which country the bank account they're sending it to is in after all………oh, wait………
It will be paid into my uk bank account.

It's not fraud. They are committing fraud by freezing our legitimate uk pension.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

And it's not as though they can easily check where you're resident or just see which country the bank account they're sending it to is in after all………oh, wait………
They cannot check if I'm resident in Italy, no.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Nope. Self employed are too.
From what I've read recently, self employed can no longer pay class 2, only class 3. At least the HMRC website only allows you to select class 3.

If you know a way to pay class 2, please share... (you know, actually contributing as opposed to snark)

Last edited by Zig Zag Wanderer; Sep 29th 2020 at 12:17 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They cannot check if I'm resident in Italy, no.
Of course they can! They can ask you to prove it if they wish, and you using a UK bank account will certainly raise red flags and be more likely that they'll ask you to prove EU residency.

And yes, it is fraud. You're proposing to lie about where you are resident to claim something that you're not entitled to.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Of course they can! They can ask you to prove it if they wish, and you using a UK bank account will certainly raise red flags and be more likely that they'll ask you to prove EU residency.

And yes, it is fraud. You're proposing to lie about where you are resident to claim something that you're not entitled to.
I have property in Italy. I live there as much as anywhere else.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I have property in Italy. I live there as much as anywhere else.
Ah, see you didn't mention that. So as long as you live in Italy more of the year and pay taxes there, use their health system (rather than the NHS etc), then you're all good to claim your pension there too as you'll be a genuine resident.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

From what I've read recently, self employed can no longer pay class 2, only class 3. At least the HMRC website only allows you to select class 3.

If you know a way to pay class 2, please share... (you know, actually contributing as opposed to snark)
It's easily found via Google. But here you go - https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

HTH.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting position.

I've been expat for 20 years. HMRC have never asked me to prove any domicile. I have all my HMRC payments from, and to, a UK bank account that I've maintained for nearly 40 years, and nobody has ever considered this a problem.

Can you explain why you think it might be considered as such? I'm truly interested.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

It's easily found via Google. But here you go - https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

HTH.
Ok, if you don't earn over £6k or are of a particular (very restricted) profession.

Thank you for the information.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, see you didn't mention that. So as long as you live in Italy more of the year and pay taxes there, use their health system (rather than the NHS etc), then you're all good to claim your pension there too as you'll be a genuine resident.
I'm not sure why you think I need to pay taxes there or use their health care to be considered a resident. Neither are true.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 12:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Interesting position.

I've been expat for 20 years. HMRC have never asked me to prove any domicile. I have all my HMRC payments from, and to, a UK bank account that I've maintained for nearly 40 years, and nobody has ever considered this a problem.

Can you explain why you think it might be considered as such? I'm truly interested.
Considered a problem you mean? Because you're talking about claiming something you're not entitled to - although as above, if you're genuinely going to be living in Italy then that would make it something you are entitled to. When you've been paying your Class 2 contributions, where have you told them you are?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.