Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Top tips for the Etihad Stadium (Melbourne)?

Top tips for the Etihad Stadium (Melbourne)?

Old Jul 9th 2018, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Top tips for the Etihad Stadium (Melbourne)?

Hey. Taking my 6yo to his first AFL match on Sunday. Going to cheer for the Swans against North Melbourne. We've supported our local team a lot but this is our first trip to see the top flight. Both very excited

Anyway. The Etihad Stadium - it has a roof, doesn't it? Does this mean it'll be warmer? Or still cold? Should we rug up? Top tips for toilets & snacks? (I presume snacks will be pretty junk and overpriced?)

Etc?

Cheers
Old Jul 10th 2018, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top tips for the Etihad Stadium (Melbourne)?

It's very rare that they shut the roof there. I've only seen it shut a couple of times and would have been there at least 50 times watching Melbourne Victory. Never been in Melbournes winter though. If you can hold off from eating at the ground which is a total rip off then I would. Your very close to the CBD there and if you must eat close to game time try up around Southern Cross station where it's at least 33pct cheaper if not more to eat the same fare you would get in the ground. It's fairly well protected in the stadium and the only advantage of the roof being shut is protection from rain. I doubt you'll feel a difference in temperature. Right on the edge of the City much better placed than any stadium I've been too in Sydney so you wont have to go far to find somewhere very decent to eat and do before and after the game. Have fun.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Ozzie. Our hotel is a very short walk from The Etihad and also Southern Cross station - and not especially far from the big food court in Myers on Bourke Street too - so for sure I think I'll fill our bellies before we go in to the stadium. If the little monkey with his bottomless pit of a stomach gets hungry during the match he can wait, then we'll fill our bellies again after the match!

Cheers
Old Jul 14th 2018, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Cheers Ozzie. Our hotel is a very short walk from The Etihad and also Southern Cross station - and not especially far from the big food court in Myers on Bourke Street too - so for sure I think I'll fill our bellies before we go in to the stadium. If the little monkey with his bottomless pit of a stomach gets hungry during the match he can wait, then we'll fill our bellies again after the match!

Cheers
The little laneways are the "Melbourne" way to eat, see if you can find a comfortable place with outside heating down there. Then you've done it the locals way Even inside....Breakfast in a cafe is a big tradition in Melbourne these days. They do great Yum Cha in lots of places in Chinatown, around Little Bourke if you and your little one are into that. Enjoy yourselves.