Reload this Page >

where should I travel to in OZ

where should I travel to in OZ

Old Jul 12th 2018, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

sammy89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where should I travel to in OZ

Hello everybody,
Im coming to OZ alone to do a years working holiday. Im registered with a nursing agency so I should be able to travel freely every few months with work but cant decide where to start, Im heading over around October time. I know that Im most likely to get shifts in the bigger cities like Sydney, Brisbane ect but Id quiet like to go to a few more smaller coastal towns has anybody any advice on places close to a beach I can look into for a few months at a time. Over the year I do want to see both the east and west and will probably move locations around every three months. Ive been a few places along the east coast this year whilst on holiday and fell in love with Byron bay. places similar or slightly bigger would be perfect. Anything smaller wont have much chance for work for me with the agency as the hospitals would be tiny.
thanks guys
Old Jul 13th 2018, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where should I travel to in OZ

First question - are you registered to practise in Australia? Being registered with a nursing agency, and being registered to be a nurse in Australia, are two different things.

Second, registered nurse or enrolled nurse?

Not sure how nurses are doing on the East Coast, but in Perth there is an oversupply at the moment - the idea that nurses from overseas can just walk in and land a position, while true for a long time, is no longer the case out here (registered with a nursing agency or not). So if the East Coast is like the West Coast - I wouldn't assume you are going to be loaded with shifts.

The nursing agency you are registered with, I am assuming does not have much experience outside the big cities, because otherwise they would know that small hospital size is by no means an indicator of stable staffing. Move inland a bit and there is plenty of staff turnover and opportunities for new entrants. Even towns with only 3,000 or 4,000 people in them will have a hospital and several nurses, and turnover can be high. I don't know if there would be any interest in a WHV staffer but could be for casual work?

Try Aged Care facilities. Even the smallest towns generally have one, and they usually still have some need - if not for a registered nurse, then for a carer, which doesn't require professional registration. They do have positions that come open pretty frequently, even in nice coastal towns, so you may find some casual shifts that way.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

sammy89 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello, yes 'Im registered as a first division nurse with AHPRA now
I don't want to really land a position I just want to pick up shifts for a few weeks at a time I don't really have any ideas on where to look to stay and get accommodation or how the agency works yet. Id be happy to go inland for a few months but would like to see some of the coastal areas whilst I'm only there a year.
I'm going to be working in emergency care with health care Australia to start. I know a few private hospitals will employ overseas nurses for woarking holiday visas but ideally dont want a year in the same place if I can help it. but thanks for the advice and giving me more things to look into
my mission for the weekend is to decide where to start my year. Just never loved big cities as I grew up in a small ish town and find the cities a bit much sometimes, so I think I would see the cities around working for a few days at a time.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t forget the National Capital as so many seem to want to do. Several hospitals in Canberra, public and private. It’s a nice cross between big city (not as noxious as Sydney or Melbourne) and big country town. You could do worse for a few weeks.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I've not a clue about nursing - but why not explore inland a bit too? Where I am (Albury, NSW) is a big town on the border with Victoria so you have Wodonga available to you too, plus Melbourne is about 3h south, Canberra is about 3h a different direction, and we're only 1-2 hours away from snow too. Not a boring pace of life, but definitely easier than the big smokes. e.g. big city rush hour - totally non-existent here. Maybe an extra 5 mins, 10 mins, if you really need to go right into the centre of town, at worst. Still lots to see and do in a place like this. Lots of history, culture, music, arts, etc.

Other country towns can be quite rewarding too. We spent 5 months in Griffith, NSW (my wife's home town) when we emigrated here. Great Italian food, great wineries, but far inland (approx. 7h west of Sydney, 5-6h north of Melbourne). I can't speak for other inland/rural towns but don't write them off!