Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

top ten (or can it stretch to 20) list of things to do in Canberra

Wikiposts

top ten (or can it stretch to 20) list of things to do in Canberra

Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:10 pm
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice
Default top ten (or can it stretch to 20) list of things to do in Canberra

I'll start

Questacon
War Memorial
Parliament House

What can you add that's worth having a look at over the bank holdiay weekend?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: top ten (or can it stretch to 20) list of things to do in Canberra

Originally Posted by Hoola
I'll start

Questacon
War Memorial
Parliament House

You can double up on Parliament House. I think it's worth seeing the old one and the new one.

There's a model village out by Gold Creek.
There's also a Dinosaur Museum at Gold Creek (but don't expect great things).

Mt Ainsley (sp?) is worth a visit.
I liked the Australian National Museum but some folks seem to slag it off for being too Australian which is a bit of a problem for a museum about Australia.

I liked the deep space centre but you may have to be into spacey things to enjoy it.

The tower (Telstra?) is another tourist place. Not the best (Mt Ainsley is better if you have to choose).
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Mt Ainsley (sp?) is worth a visit.
There isn't a plank at the top talking about Percy Pepper and Sally Salt is there
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

There's a gorgous old colonial house on the banks of the Murrumbidgee called Lanyon which is worth a visit if you're around that way. Run by the National Trust and open to the public. When I first went there it was about 20k from Canberra but I think it's on the outskirts of the southern-most suburbs nowadays.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

High Court building - see where justice is supposed to happen and admire the exceptional wood panelling

National Gallery - I think it has Degas at the moment

National Portrait Gallery - newly opened

The Mint - not sure if it is open over a long weekend but it is fascinating to see our money being made

Take a trip on the lake - either in a tourist boat from the Yarralumla Yacht Club or get a padddleo and paddle your way into the main basin and under the fountain (ideal if hot)

National Library if genealogy is your scene - books on anything and they can be brought up from the stacks. Also a free wifi spot and a very nice restaurant.

Canberra Zoo and Aquarium - hmmmm not my scene but I know of others who delight in it

Hire a bike from Mr Spokes and ride around the Lake

Weekend markets at the Old Canberra Bus depot - some nice crafty type stuff or if trash and treasure is your bag, then Jamieson Market very early Sunday morning.

Have a picnic in Nara park on the side of the lake in Yarralumla

The mountain is Mt Ainslie actually and I concur - the view is better for seeing the city than is Black Mt. However Black Mt gives you a good view of the lake, the Gov Gen house etc. Not to forget Red Hill which is up behind Parliament House and where you can get very nice meals and drinks.

This weekend there is a fair bit of entertainment in Commonwealth Park (I think, but look in the paper for the concert details)

Walk up Anzac Pde to the War Memorial (or down it) and see all the war memorials to different services and different conflicts. Ignore the roadworks, they are being a bit of a nuisance at the moment.

Tidbinbilla Nature reserve, out by the Deep Space tracking centre, now sort of rejuvenated from the fires which wiped it out 5 years ago.

Just outside Canberra we have a nice selection of wineries either out towards Lake George where you also have a lovely little village with some outstanding woodwork craft shops. Or there are wineries on the way to Yass, not that there is much in Yass to delight and inspire

Edited to say - who said Canberra was boring???
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There isn't a plank at the top talking about Percy Pepper and Sally Salt is there
Are you talking about this Ainsley?

Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Top tip for Canberra. Bring cash. Last time I was there some of the touristy things (e.g. the boat trip on the lake) didn't take cards.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoola
I'll start

Questacon
War Memorial
Parliament House

Join the expats picnic in the park
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:41 pm
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
High Court building - see where justice is supposed to happen and admire the exceptional wood panelling

National Gallery - I think it has Degas at the moment

National Portrait Gallery - newly opened

The Mint - not sure if it is open over a long weekend but it is fascinating to see our money being made

Take a trip on the lake - either in a tourist boat from the Yarralumla Yacht Club or get a padddleo and paddle your way into the main basin and under the fountain (ideal if hot)

National Library if genealogy is your scene - books on anything and they can be brought up from the stacks. Also a free wifi spot and a very nice restaurant.

Canberra Zoo and Aquarium - hmmmm not my scene but I know of others who delight in it

Hire a bike from Mr Spokes and ride around the Lake

Weekend markets at the Old Canberra Bus depot - some nice crafty type stuff or if trash and treasure is your bag, then Jamieson Market very early Sunday morning.

Have a picnic in Nara park on the side of the lake in Yarralumla

The mountain is Mt Ainslie actually and I concur - the view is better for seeing the city than is Black Mt. However Black Mt gives you a good view of the lake, the Gov Gen house etc. Not to forget Red Hill which is up behind Parliament House and where you can get very nice meals and drinks.

This weekend there is a fair bit of entertainment in Commonwealth Park (I think, but look in the paper for the concert details)

Walk up Anzac Pde to the War Memorial (or down it) and see all the war memorials to different services and different conflicts. Ignore the roadworks, they are being a bit of a nuisance at the moment.

Tidbinbilla Nature reserve, out by the Deep Space tracking centre, now sort of rejuvenated from the fires which wiped it out 5 years ago.

Just outside Canberra we have a nice selection of wineries either out towards Lake George where you also have a lovely little village with some outstanding woodwork craft shops. Or there are wineries on the way to Yass, not that there is much in Yass to delight and inspire

Edited to say - who said Canberra was boring???
Very nice, entertainment sounds great for this weekend, some excellent ideas thanks
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:41 pm
Mermaid

Top tip for Canberra. Bring cash. Last time I was there some of the touristy things (e.g. the boat trip on the lake) didn't take cards.
Point taken thanks
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:43 pm
Mermaid

Originally Posted by sasbear
Join the expats picnic in the park
Yes I am thinking about it still, depends on time we set off from Sydney.. I'll have 3 in tow so will be looking to have them let off some steam after 3 hours in the car
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:51 pm
Mermaid

Originally Posted by NickyC
There's a gorgous old colonial house on the banks of the Murrumbidgee called Lanyon which is worth a visit if you're around that way. Run by the National Trust and open to the public. When I first went there it was about 20k from Canberra but I think it's on the outskirts of the southern-most suburbs nowadays.
Great, should be close by as we are staying in Greenway
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:24 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the Australian National Museum but some folks seem to slag it off for being too Australian which is a bit of a problem for a museum about Australia.

We loved that place actually, though the war memorial just blew us away. What an amazing place.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:09 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

..go to the pub, have a few drinkies with your mates, and try and forget that you are in Canberra !.. Works for quite a few hours !
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:58 am
Mermaid

Originally Posted by MacScot
..go to the pub, have a few drinkies with your mates, and try and forget that you are in Canberra !.. Works for quite a few hours !
will be one of the things we'll be doing no doubt at some point but as visitors we don't have any mates to join, which pubs (which allow kids in) would you recommend then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.