Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Top 5 places NOT to stay in WA

Wikiposts

Top 5 places NOT to stay in WA

Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 5 places NOT to stay in WA

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a f**king crazy city - but in a cool kind of way. So much going on, so many people, so busy. The commies built some insanely big buildings - and today's capitalist-commies are continuing the trend! We were in Tiananmen square today - so much history, so much significance. The food is awesome. Sat in a street cafe round the corner from the hotel last night, drinking $1.50 beers and chatting with the locals - fantastic. Everything seems so normal, but then you go online and cannot get onto Facebook or YouTube (BE no problem though!). It's bizarre.

Shanghai on Friday.
She is going on the overnight train to Xian tonight , then also flying to Shanghai on Friday !
Not had much chance to talk to her as yet , but her last text says she is loving it there !
Old Jul 9th 2012, 6:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
She is going on the overnight train to Xian tonight , then also flying to Shanghai on Friday !
Not had much chance to talk to her as yet , but her last text says she is loving it there !
We were in Xian (flew there from HK) and got the overnight sleeper train here (not bad in soft sleeper class). Xian Station is bedlam on an epic scale, not a bad city though, we stayed in a fantastic hotel (Grand Mecure).

It's goddamned hot here!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 8:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
This thread is bringing back nightmares for me...

Accommodation nightmare #1 Hideous tropical town in Summer, no air-conditioner, bald chenile bedspread on rusty metal framed bed. Dirty wicker lounge-suite, candle in jar on rusty fridge, bits of chipboard falling off bathroom vanity, cockroaches so hungry they drag cigarette butts from ashtray!

Accomodation nightmare #2 Turn up very late at pre-booked motel, just me and toddler... book in and told to drive around the back to get to room. Notice car park is full of very expensive cars and lots of motorbikes. Get into room and it is so dirty I am afraid to let toddler sit anywhere. Attempt to make coffee but teaspoons appear to have residue on them so unuseable. Attempt to lock door but it doesn't lock. Sleep fully clothed on top of scary bedding and hope don't catch disease or have intruder. Wake up next morning and all the cars and motorbikes outside have changed into vehicles other than those parked the night before. Am thinking was motel brothel.

Both Queensland btw.
I stayed in a backpackers in central Melbourne a few years back, last minute booking on Grand Prix weekend so I didn't expect much, but.....the cockroaches were the size of small mice, the showers were so grime encrusted that they were unusable, and all the windows were barred and fire escapes locked (this was the year AFTER the fire at the backpackers place in Childers, by the way). The rooms had bunk beds, and just enough space to walk between them, but to get more people in for that weekend the owners had stacked another bed on top! Making them three deep Not surprisingly the people from the top slept on the floor - next to the people who had been sold a "cheap sleeping space"- on the floor
That resulted in a room about 12 feet square having 10 people sleeping in it

It was an experience, I'll say that for it. Strangely enough the environmental health people closed the place down a week later until "extensive safety modifications" had been made
I don't think I've ever seen accommodation so disgraceful, not before or since.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We were in Xian (flew there from HK) and got the overnight sleeper train here (not bad in soft sleeper class). Xian Station is bedlam on an epic scale, not a bad city though, we stayed in a fantastic hotel (Grand Mecure).

It's goddamned hot here!
Well she will be on the train now , staying at the Grand new world hotel in Xian , not quite as posh as the Grand Mecure looks , but still not to bad !

Was looking at reviews from where she stayed at the Rainbow hotel in Beiiging ! made me laugh that apparently they display in the bathrooms extra things you can buy like condoms , lube & vibrating rings haha

Very common also for a hotel 4 stars or over that has a sauna to offer " extras " seems quite the norm there !

The weather here is crap at the moment so enjoy the hot climate while you can !

Nicky

BTW ! what is the legal age to drink there ? my daughter was sure it was 14 , but looking on websites here it seems to be 18 !

Last edited by nickyjohnt; Jul 10th 2012 at 1:15 am. Reason: xtra info !
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well she will be on the train now , staying at the Grand new world hotel in Xian , not quite as posh as the Grand Mecure looks , but still not to bad !

Was looking at reviews from where she stayed at the Rainbow hotel in Beiiging ! made me laugh that apparently they display in the bathrooms extra things you can buy like condoms , lube & vibrating rings haha

Very common also for a hotel 4 stars or over that has a sauna to offer " extras " seems quite the norm there !

Nicky

BTW ! what is the legal age to drink there ? my daughter was sure it was 14 , but looking on websites here it seems to be 18 !
Could I hazzard a guess as to how old she is?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Could I hazzard a guess as to how old she is?
Haha ! yes she is nearly 16 ! not a chance on a school trip ! but i think some of the boys she was going with might of been hoping for a sneaky drink if it was legal !
Old Jul 10th 2012, 2:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky

I would say it's 18. Not seen many 14 year olds knocking back Tsing Tao!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 2:32 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I stayed in a backpackers in central Melbourne a few years back, last minute booking on Grand Prix weekend so I didn't expect much, but.....the cockroaches were the size of small mice, the showers were so grime encrusted that they were unusable, and all the windows were barred and fire escapes locked (this was the year AFTER the fire at the backpackers place in Childers, by the way). The rooms had bunk beds, and just enough space to walk between them, but to get more people in for that weekend the owners had stacked another bed on top! Making them three deep Not surprisingly the people from the top slept on the floor - next to the people who had been sold a "cheap sleeping space"- on the floor
That resulted in a room about 12 feet square having 10 people sleeping in it

It was an experience, I'll say that for it. Strangely enough the environmental health people closed the place down a week later until "extensive safety modifications" had been made
I don't think I've ever seen accommodation so disgraceful, not before or since.
Home from home eh
Old Jul 10th 2012, 2:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Home from home eh
Even in my sickest days back home I could never have lived in a pit like that, I'd rather have been on the streets. I wish I'd taken photos, I still can't believe to this day how bad it was.
The worst bit was the fire danger though, so soon after Childers (less than a year) and every fire escape we saw was padlocked. Five storey building, doesn't bear thinking about.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:10 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'll nominate the main street in Perth. Not that the hotel was bad, it's just there's absolutely nothing to do outside work hours. I'm sure the locals will tell me that you've got to go to Subiaco or something.
Originally Posted by Dorothy
Nope. The old man and I were in the city yesterday and I couldn't believe how dead the place was. I wanted to take him to a coffee shop that I go to during the week but it was closed at noon on a Saturday.

My sister's coming over in November for 3 weeks and I'm struggling to think of things for her to do to stay occupied while she's here.
These 2 posts made me laugh...I remember when we were living in Perth one of my Italian rellies visited, she is from Southern Italy where most people go out to eat about 9.30pm, she couldn't believe that most restaurants were closing about this time.

In terms of places not to stay in WA, we were recommended by one of my work colleagues to visit York as, and I quote, 'seeing as you are English you will appreciate somewhere steeped in history.' Well after the 2 hour journey all I can recall from our visit was a dodgy high street with some rickety buildings, not a soul about, other than a couple of teenagers sitting on the road drinking booze out of a brown paper bag, presumably because there was eff all else to do! Bloody awful place.

Isn't Northbridge still rocking at night?