Too hot

Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot

Originally Posted by Teabag
It may not seem it at the time, but a cup of Tea will do more to refresh you than alcohol will. I can't drink alcohol on a hot day as it makes my core temperature boil.
I am drinking lots of iced water at the moment as the water chiller is still working. I do enjoy a cold beer though.
Nicky
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:02 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Portable refrigerated aircons cost about 600 bucks, probably too late for you at this stage, they only cool a small area, but possibly enough so that you could all sleep comfortably, or not dread the looming night. Probably be able to sell it once you were set up. They may have them cheap in Shep or Bendigo (ooh I forgot Albury maybe a better option for you)

Best of luck.

People in the UK dont realise what this is like eh ?

On a side note last time I was hot like this, without aircon, was on a my last trip back to the UK, when I took a week out in Spain. Very hot nights in Spain, I couldnt beleive that the Villa I rented didn't have aircon. Then I realised, as a holiday renter most UK people wouldn't mind that heat, in fact they would probably think, they are paying to feel this heat..... Wouldn't work on us Aussies that mentality eh
Try sleeping on a yacht in 40 degree heat in lanzarote

My car said 47 this afternoon (as I burnt me knees on the leather). But soon cooled down to 44? does this mean Mags house is hotta than hell or is there something I should know about the temp gauge on toyota prado?

Its not just the kids that are enjoying iceblocks today
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:41 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Cool 21 degrees here today.....

In the office..... I can feel the heat radiating from the windows tho..

just hoping for an air conditioned train on the way home and not one of those old green things connex use some of the time...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wet towel in front of the fan - makes a little bit of difference. You can get mobile evap coolers (said she, sitting right in front of ours this afternoon - only 36C outside, I'm a wimp!) quite cheaply - less than an aircon unit anyway. DH wont have aircon because he's a greenie - I'm adding that to the list of things I could divorce him for!

You could always head off to the movies for the afternoon.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Wet towel in front of the fan - makes a little bit of difference. You can get mobile evap coolers (said she, sitting right in front of ours this afternoon - only 36C outside, I'm a wimp!) quite cheaply - less than an aircon unit anyway. DH wont have aircon because he's a greenie - I'm adding that to the list of things I could divorce him for!

You could always head off to the movies for the afternoon.

I've got a mobile evap one - cost $89 from bunnings Not really any use for big rooms though
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

We have no aircon Not even ceiling fans, which help a bit. We have two pedestal fans blasting on us - but 'sleep' time will be grim... never mind, cool change coming in tomorrow
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

still silly temp here and ice and wet towels have limited effect. So we are escaping to the mountains tomorrow when we are due 43+ I am off to Bright with the kids and hiding for the day .
Cold beer and iced water seem to help a little as does icecream .
Nicky
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:35 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

sleeping with a wet but spun out sheet is wonderfully refreshing.....sounds uncomfortable....but it's heavenly!!! or using the same theory keep a bowl of water and a face washer next to the bed and and wipe over regularly all exposed skin....works a treat.

At least it cools off at night here....In Adelaide it would peak at the kids bedtime and stay around 30 all night and fans just moved the hotness around...but here they have a cooling effect?????? strange ....something to do with humidity levels prob.........

Jan (much more at home in a fleece and jeans walking dogs through woods than in thongs and shorts with the dogs inside cos it's too hot )
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:00 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just as well, I turn into a cooling nazi on days like today, so probably saved a lot of tension lol. I

"Cooling Nazi" - sounds just like me!!

BTW - anyone know of a good air con engineer south of Adelaide???
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:02 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Try sleeping on a yacht in 40 degree heat in lanzarote

My car said 47 this afternoon (as I burnt me knees on the leather). But soon cooled down to 44? does this mean Mags house is hotta than hell or is there something I should know about the temp gauge on toyota prado?

Its not just the kids that are enjoying iceblocks today
Funny things those Prado gauges - mine read at 50c on Saturday when it was parked up
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Im saying nothing.......
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:22 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
Im saying nothing.......
You probably won't believe this at the moment but it's faaar more preferable to be really cold and decide to get warmer by adding clothes, sitting by a radiator, hugging a mug of soup etc.. than to be so hot you feel like you may go mad and find there is very little you can do to reverse the situation. You end up a prisoner in your home....curtains drawn sat in the easiest to keep cool in room or go on a forced trip out to an airconditioned mall, cinema etc....

Yes you could sit in the pool all day but it's not a holiday when you emigrate here you still have to function,wear clothes!! go to work (in a hot uniform), do washing (sometimes it's too hot to hang out the washing!!!) let alone consider doing ironing.

Hot sounds nice, but it can be a bit grim too. Honest

Good Luck with your application......seems like you wait forever then all of a sudden it's 'all systems go' and there's not enough time to get everything done in

Jan
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:25 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP
Our aircon has broken leaving us in a very hot house with 40 degrees due today and 43 ish tomorrow . We have lots of fans on and our youngest is playing in the bath at the moment to keep cool. This is an old house and to be honest we were surprised that the unit had held up for this long but the repair people can't get here until Monday as they are so busy (I wonder why ).
Time to break out the alcosluchies that we have left in the freezer and move into the cave cellar . Hope that you are all enjoying a cool day
Nicky
oh come on,,,40 degrees,i thought you said it was hot
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:57 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

When we were in Thailand and it was hot at night, we rubbed Tiger Balm on the backs of our necks, wrists, ankles etc.

It was bliss feeling the cold chill on your skin - very cooling.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

If anyone wants to swap with me here then i will gladly do it...

I have just started a new job in a supermarket and ive been put on fresh food checking the dates!!! its sooo much fun...not. But im thinking of the money.

So i spend mon - wed 7pm - midnight with my head stuck in fridges checking nothing is out of date.

So along with me chillblains on me feet i now have them on me fingers too.

Ooooh im loving the cold. :curse:

Nickie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.