Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tony Abbott new Lib leader

Wikiposts

Tony Abbott new Lib leader

Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:40 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tony Abbott new Lib leader

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
There is only one sure-fire way to cut down emissions in Australia on a large scale - pour some SERIOUS money into tidal, nuclear, geothermal and large-scale solar power generation.....
Agreed - Why the f&&K isnt Australia investing billions and billions into solar energy I have no idea. We have stupid amounts of sun and with a bit of investment could become world leaders in what surely will become a massive growth industry worldwide...
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:41 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Tony Abbott new Lib leader

Nuclear energy. Now. That's the solution.

Oh, and...

Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Agreed - Why the f&&K isnt Australia investing billions and billions into solar energy I have no idea. We have stupid amounts of sun and with a bit of investment could become world leaders in what surely will become a massive growth industry worldwide...
Solar is a good choice for peak power in a country like ours - so is wave, wind and geothermal, but for base load for a modern industrialised country like Australia you need one, or all, of the following:
Coal
Gas (in certain applications)
Hydro-electric
Nuclear

Realistically, only 20-25% max of our energy requirements can be provided by renewables.

Last edited by Amazulu; Nov 30th 2009 at 1:57 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:54 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

My husband sent this link to me a week or two ago from work. It's an interesting although I have no idea how true/untrue the facts and figures our. I imagine it would be fairly biased given the source, but I'd love to hear peoples thoughts.

http://co2isgreen.org/files/DDF2/Cli...esentation.pdf

If I had to choose I would say no to the ETS, but that's just me.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Nuclear energy. Now. That's the solution.

Oh, and...

http://i50.tinypic.com/1izlzb.jpg
I reckon 8 big nukes would do the trick, one for every 2-3m people in densely populated areas (or within 100-150km radius), so:
2 in the Sydney/Newcastle/Wollongong area
2 in the Melbourne area
2 in SE Qld
1 in the Adelaide area
1 in the Perth area

8 nukes with some clean coal, hydro, gas, wind, solar and geothermal and we'd be set for 30 years.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:59 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Tony Abbott new Lib leader

Originally Posted by comet555
My husband sent this link to me a week or two ago from work. It's an interesting although I have no idea how true/untrue the facts and figures our. I imagine it would be fairly biased given the source, but I'd love to hear peoples thoughts.

http://co2isgreen.org/files/DDF2/Cli...esentation.pdf

If I had to choose I would say no to the ETS, but that's just me.
I say no to the ETS, even though I believe humans are a primary cause of global warming. The ETS is simply a bad way to tackle this problem. It'll shuffle a lot of money around without actually addressing the key issues.

That .pdf file contains a lot of junk science, misrepresentations and downright lies, by the way. A classic example is their reference to Spain: "Spain has been moving towards a renewable energy economy
and now has 19% unemployment." LOL! Take two completely unrelated issues and slap them together in the same sentence: bingo! The former must have caused the latter! Yeah, that makes sense.

Interesting that they never address the harmful effects of CO2 on human beings. Last time I checked, it's lethal to us. Not much point in boosting vegetable crops if we can't breath the air.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 30th 2009 at 2:05 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:02 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I reckon 8 big nukes would do the trick, one for every 2-3m people in densely populated areas (or within 100-150km radius), so:
2 in the Sydney/Newcastle/Wollongong area
2 in the Melbourne area
2 in SE Qld
1 in the Adelaide area
1 in the Perth area

8 nukes with some clean coal, hydro, gas, wind, solar and geothermal and we'd be set for 30 years.

Would take us that long to build them!

I'm a big fan of nuclear power - along with it comes a phenomenal knowledge based industry - one that we could really do with, and could potentially lead the world with. I've also never understood why we don't add value to the uranium we dig up by processing it and selling it at a premium, instead of just the raw material.

S
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

I'm a big fan of nuclear power - along with it comes a phenomenal knowledge based industry - one that we could really do with, and could potentially lead the world with. I've also never understood why we don't add value to the uranium we dig up by processing it and selling it at a premium, instead of just the raw material.

S
But that's Australia all over . . .
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
If we decided to go ahead next year it would be 2020-25 before they were operational.
Agree, it would be a big boost for our top end scientific/engineering industry.
It would provide people like me with shitloads of work - with big money.
We should be doing everything we can with our uranium; mining, processing, power generation - even weapons.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:14 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I say no to the ETS, even though I believe humans are a primary cause of global warming. The ETS is simply a bad way to tackle this problem. It'll shuffle a lot of money around without actually addressing the key issues.

That .pdf file contains a lot of junk science, misrepresentations and downright lies, by the way.
Yes, agreed. I think there are far better ways to address the problem without just trying to throw money at it.

I had the same feel when I read that link. It seemed like they said just about everything needed to give a negative impression on the ETS, although that is to be expected from a climate change sceptic website.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We should be doing everything we can with our uranium; mining, processing, power generation - even weapons.
I agree with all except the last.
WTF we need nukes for?

NZ is getting ready to invade?

You can't sell them, costs a fortune to keep them and you will never use them anyway.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
WTF we need nukes for?

You can't sell them, costs a fortune to keep them and you will never use them anyway.
Er - they meant nuclear power stations....
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:25 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
WTF we need nukes for?

Just point them at China and then say "now *****ing take the piss with our businesses...go on I dare ya!! You slag!!"
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Amazulu didn't . . . he wants to bomb the ****as . . .
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:26 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
no......he was referring to the '....and weapons' bit of a previous poster!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.