Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Toddler won't stop banging............

Wikiposts

Toddler won't stop banging............

Old Feb 25th 2006, 5:10 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Toddler won't stop banging............

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
........his door every morning!!!

OK I know this is probably not quite the right forum...........but there are wise people on here!

Littlen 2yrs and 5 months sleeps well and always has. But, the novelty of his bed has worn off and he gets out in the morning and sits against his door banging it with his back. He usually sleeps til 7am so that's fine, but more and more he's waking early and the banging starts

I'm thinking that he needs proper blackout in his room (which he had back in UK), not just black out blinds which still let in a sliver of light at 4.45am.

Not going to threaten him about the banging but it's getting a bit too early (especially at the weekend).

Cheers if anyone has any advice

Mrs J

PS He might just be competing with the builders who started at sparrows ***** this morning (saturday).
Yeh blackouts keep em sleeping....before blackouts mine started waking at 6am!!! Got blackouts and he's now still there at 8!!!
Old Feb 25th 2006, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie
Yeh blackouts keep em sleeping....before blackouts mine started waking at 6am!!! Got blackouts and he's now still there at 8!!!
I think that's what we'll do. Thanks very much
Old Feb 25th 2006, 6:52 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

........his door every morning!!!

OK I know this is probably not quite the right forum...........but there are wise people on here!

Littlen 2yrs and 5 months sleeps well and always has. But, the novelty of his bed has worn off and he gets out in the morning and sits against his door banging it with his back. He usually sleeps til 7am so that's fine, but more and more he's waking early and the banging starts

I'm thinking that he needs proper blackout in his room (which he had back in UK), not just black out blinds which still let in a sliver of light at 4.45am.

Not going to threaten him about the banging but it's getting a bit too early (especially at the weekend).

Cheers if anyone has any advice

Mrs J

PS He might just be competing with the builders who started at sparrows ***** this morning (saturday).
Our lad has figured out how to open his door now, so gets up at stupid o clock and jumps on our bed. Its impossible to get him to bed as he just gets up and comes down stairs. We have had to resort to a little underhanded trickery. Vaseline on the door handle He gets bored and gets back into bed
Old Feb 25th 2006, 10:18 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes we have taken away bears and other 'favourite' things, but we're not getting any stronger than that as both of us had hugely strict families and were brought up being terrified of our parents. No thanks in this house.

Littlen is a delight, rarely pushes boundaries, is bright, cheerful and happy. Maybe he'll just grow out of it.....
kick his erse then lol sorry xx
Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:50 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
So I know I shouldn't but I bring her in our bed
Yes I know I have to break this habit and I am trying I keep putting her back but its very tiring.
Ang
Why shouldn't you, Ang? Go with what feels right. Our dd co-slept until she was about 4½ then moved into her own room. She was happy, woke at reasonable times, slept well when she should, and neither dh or I ever lost a night's sleep to her crying because she didn't cry. People used to say to us "you've got to break that habit - she'll get dependent on it and won't go to sleep in her own room" - but when she was ready she simply moved. She's now one of the most confident, independent kids I know.

At two she's still a baby...don't beat yourself up over mothering her. And don't let anyone tell you that you *shouldn't* be having her in bed with you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sue

Sue
Old Feb 26th 2006, 10:02 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Why shouldn't you, Ang? Go with what feels right. Our dd co-slept until she was about 4½ then moved into her own room. She was happy, woke at reasonable times, slept well when she should, and neither dh or I ever lost a night's sleep to her crying because she didn't cry. People used to say to us "you've got to break that habit - she'll get dependent on it and won't go to sleep in her own room" - but when she was ready she simply moved. She's now one of the most confident, independent kids I know.

At two she's still a baby...don't beat yourself up over mothering her. And don't let anyone tell you that you *shouldn't* be having her in bed with you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sue

Sue
Thanks for that. The thing is she likes to feel close to me, she puts her hands over me and feels bits of me, i.e. mouth, ears etc. She is also such a restless sleeper moves ablout alot poor Rich gets her feet in his back.
Not only that would be nice to get back to cuddling up to Rich rather than my 2 yr old once she has woken up
Cheers
Ang
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Thanks for that. The thing is she likes to feel close to me, she puts her hands over me and feels bits of me, i.e. mouth, ears etc. She is also such a restless sleeper moves ablout alot poor Rich gets her feet in his back.
Not only that would be nice to get back to cuddling up to Rich rather than my 2 yr old once she has woken up
Cheers
Ang

It's really a personal decision made by the parents - as someone said - "whatever you feel comfortable with".

Jim and I wanted and needed our privacy so were determined that our kids sleep in their own beds once I finished breastfeeding them. We sit with them at nite and read to them and play with them until they fall asleep. Every one in a while in the early morning they may come in and jump in bed with us.

I have enough problems trying to compete for some of the bed with our lab reilly....can you imagine having two kids sleeping with us as well?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:12 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Cover the door with cushions and fit your son with a crash helmet?

Or more seriously we started the whole naughty step thing at a very early age and it worked. He may do it for a few more days, but if you consistently make him know it's not acceptable, then hoepfully he'll come round. If it carries on for more than a month see my first suggestion.

BTW, mine are now 4 and the naughty step has stopped working coz it's no big deal anymore.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Our lad has figured out how to open his door now, so gets up at stupid o clock and jumps on our bed. Its impossible to get him to bed as he just gets up and comes down stairs. We have had to resort to a little underhanded trickery. Vaseline on the door handle He gets bored and gets back into bed
Aha, here's a tip. We have changed from handles to knobs!!
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by diddy
Cover the door with cushions and fit your son with a crash helmet?

Or more seriously we started the whole naughty step thing at a very early age and it worked. He may do it for a few more days, but if you consistently make him know it's not acceptable, then hoepfully he'll come round. If it carries on for more than a month see my first suggestion.

BTW, mine are now 4 and the naughty step has stopped working coz it's no big deal anymore.
Yes we found the naughty step worked well from when he was quite little, but now it's now big deal. If he knows he's done something wrong he goes off there himself.

We have an empty room downstairs so tried the 'naughty room' but all the downstairs bedrooms face the front so he goes and has a nosy out the window