Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Time to arm UK patrol cops

Time to arm UK patrol cops

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:28 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Re: Time to arm UK patrol cops

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
So are you still saying that if the police shoot someone, as long as they have a criminal record its okay?
No, not in a million years, what I am saying is, there's more chance that the Krays would suffer this fate, because of their high profile criminal past than say someone with no criminal record.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:35 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
No, not in a million years, what I am saying is, there's more chance that the Krays would suffer this fate, because of their high profile criminal past than say someone with no criminal record.
And before the police kicked my door down I would have probably agreed with you but knowing how they react to their mistakes from a personal view, I am no supporter of the police. I actually getting very afraid if I see police vehicles near my home - they scare me because I know what they can do when they make up their minds of something.

I also want to make it clear that I'm not against the police also - they do do a difficult job, but they are also in part responsible for making things more difficult for themselves. I do still report things to the police but I do not trust them and they are directly responsible for that loss of trust.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

I think more UK cops need to carry guns than presently do, but I don't think every cop needs to carry a gun, there needs to be a balance. Beat cops in metropolitan areas should be armed, but the community officer in your local parish or the design out crime liason officer for example probably doesn't need one...
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:07 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WestLondonWelshman
I think more UK cops need to carry guns than presently do, but I don't think every cop needs to carry a gun, there needs to be a balance. Beat cops in metropolitan areas should be armed, but the community officer in your local parish or the design out crime liason officer for example probably doesn't need one...
You are entitled to your opinion, but whoever has the guns - more guns = more shootings. Lets focus on getting ALL guns off the streets.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

You are entitled to your opinion, but whoever has the guns - more guns = more shootings. Lets focus on getting ALL guns off the streets.
Absolutely. but whilst there are guns on the streets I'd prefer policemen to be carrying them than scumbags like cregan.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:46 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
And part of the coverup attempts often involve spreading innuendo and lies, <<snip>>, the Chief Constable Paul Whitehouse (who claimed Ashley had been wanted for murder), Sherree Bissett (who killed Adam Salter, linked to above) and her supposed investigator have done.
I do apologise - this sentence of my post didn't make any sense and was incorrect. Originally the sentence was one way and then I buggered about with it to bring in the NSW example linked to above, but that mashed up two sentences and didn't make any sense and was incorrect. Apologies for any suggestion that the person I named was spreading lies, which wasn't my intention, and is completely incorrect.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Sep 23rd 2012 at 10:25 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 6:21 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this list was interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_line_of_duty

reorganize by date of death and you have police being shot as far back as 1900.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:37 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Would Cregan have killed them anyway if they were armed?

Originally Posted by WestLondonWelshman
Absolutely. but whilst there are guns on the streets I'd prefer policemen to be carrying them than scumbags like cregan.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:49 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
My feeling is that if you arm police you'll get shoot outs on the street, which are currently very rare in UK. UK is a very big population in a small place which makes it worse. And of course the number of illegal guns will go up as the criminals try to match the newly armed police force.
there are a lot of sterotypes floated around about arming the police that don't hold up to closer scrutiny.

i've been an armed cop here (vancouver) for 15 years, around policing for close to 20.

Number of poilce shootouts in Vancouver last 15: 1
Number of bystanders killed in police shootout in Canada last 15: 1
Number of police officers shot in Canada the last 3 years: 0 (average is around 1 a year)

The UK police currently only have 5 percent firearm trained. The current response set up is of limited use as when you need a shooter you need it right away. NZ and Norway's cops are all firearms trained and have access to a fire arm at all times in their cars. Still not ideal but at least a compromise.

Lets not forget the shooting in the Lakes. Three unarmed police officers tried to stop the shooter after he shot 2 people. They let him go after he pointed a firearm at them. He then shot 10 more people.

In comparison. A gun man went postal here at Dawson College in Montreal and there just happened to be a an armed cop there. He was able to shoot him and seriously injure him. He then shot himself. One student died. Had he not been there god knows how many students would have died.

Last edited by Boy d; Sep 23rd 2012 at 10:54 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:50 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

that always has been the focus but it's near on impossible.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kapri
This would be my concern too.

There are highly trained armed response units in every force, for the occasions when they are needed. I don't think all police need to be armed routinely.
peak violence is typically over in a matter of seconds....this is why front line coppers who are often going into unknowns need em.