Ticks Uuurrrghhhhh

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice
Default Re: Ticks Uuurrrghhhhh

Originally Posted by paulainspain
Actually could be wrong, that might be worming tablets, bloody hell the things we give our animals, how did they survive before all this nonsense!!!
http://www.petshed.com/articles/all-...ic-collar.html Ok so I'm getting a little obsessed with the post but thought this might help...
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to read:

'Owning a dog in Australia' thread

Ticks can be a problem, but one on the nose is not an infestation. My dog's had one on her in a year.
Frontline kills them within a day of attaching, which is what you want to happen, because otherwise, the paralysis tick may end up paralysing your dog. They start to put out the paralysis chemicals within 3 days of attachment.
You have to check your dog over here once a day - not good to have a long haired breed here.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:59 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulainspain
http://www.petshed.com/articles/all-...ic-collar.html Ok so I'm getting a little obsessed with the post but thought this might help...

So are you still using it?

It seems the owning of pets has become a more and more serious thing doesn't it.
I can't remember having to do anything except feed our other dogs, now though, you go the vet and the posters are enough to give you nightmares hope they don't do that in oz
Old Apr 24th 2007, 5:03 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
You might want to read:

'Owning a dog in Australia' thread

Ticks can be a problem, but one on the nose is not an infestation. My dog's had one on her in a year.
Frontline kills them within a day of attaching, which is what you want to happen, because otherwise, the paralysis tick may end up paralysing your dog. They start to put out the paralysis chemicals within 3 days of attachment.
You have to check your dog over here once a day - not good to have a long haired breed here.

I know that one isn't an infestation. The reason why i was asking is because i think it is better to avoid it in the first place.
We live over the back of railway lines so have loads of foxes, they even come into the garden when we are sitting there and watch you
The vet said that they are having probs with the foxes carrying ticks, so, if any bloody garden is going to get them it's sods law it will be mine. I have a very full garden, loads of bushes and trees (which harvey adores) so it 'could' be a problem for us this summer.

Harvey is having all his fur shaved in the summer. he will look like a barrel with four legs
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Our dog has the perfect coat for picking up every single little bur and twig, oh and he's white (well, tricolour, but therefore predominantly white) - good job he's very sweet and will patiently sit in the bath so be cleaned off

I think we'll likely have to trim him as he gets older to keep him fairly tidy (well as tidy as an English Setter possibly can be).
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:34 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louise4
I know that one isn't an infestation. The reason why i was asking is because i think it is better to avoid it in the first place.
We live over the back of railway lines so have loads of foxes, they even come into the garden when we are sitting there and watch you
The vet said that they are having probs with the foxes carrying ticks, so, if any bloody garden is going to get them it's sods law it will be mine. I have a very full garden, loads of bushes and trees (which harvey adores) so it 'could' be a problem for us this summer.
Ticks don't just hang around on foxes... they're everywhere. We live in a high bush area. We keep to the paths, on lead (off leash is against the law) and we check the dog over each night. I don't think it's something you can avoid unless you keep your dog inside all the time.