Ticks Uuurrrghhhhh

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:07 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ticks Uuurrrghhhhh

I need some advice from all those already in oz.

Never really had a problem with tick in UK before, had dogs for years, never seen one.

Got our Westie last year and when we took him to the vets he mentioned about ticks, didn't take much notice.

Well after his walk last night (where he was as usual in the bushes) he came home with the biggest ugliest tick that should be on the planet.
He has now had the offender removed from the end of his poor nose (vet had to wrap him in a towel and lay on him because he wouldn't stay still) and is sleeping after his ordeal. poor sod.

The thing is, i asked what i could spray in our garden to kill any we might have there (foxes are a pain in the rear) and he told me there wasn't anything

When we lived in Sydney, that year was a tick infestation and i saw the trucks spraying the trees.
Do any of you spray anything to prevent ticks or was the vet right.
Any advice would be great.

thanks

Louise
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:05 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ticks Uuurrrghhhhh

We put Frontline on the dog which goes on the back of his neck and lasts for a month. Its spose to kill the ticks when they bite. Weve had quite a number of ticks lately and just pull the buggers off.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:33 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Frontline.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:07 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Already us fronline, only applied it on the 11th april so was under the impression it would prevent them. apparently it doesn't prevent them from attatching it just kills them after a few days.

basically wanted to know if you spray your gardens if you have an infestation
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
Already us fronline, only applied it on the 11th april so was under the impression it would prevent them. apparently it doesn't prevent them from attatching it just kills them after a few days.

basically wanted to know if you spray your gardens if you have an infestation
Fairly sure you can't. And they get them from other animals so Frontline is it as far as I know. They are part of my excuse to the girls for not having a dog - we have too much wildlife around us.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:56 pm
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Fairly sure you can't. And they get them from other animals so Frontline is it as far as I know. They are part of my excuse to the girls for not having a dog - we have too much wildlife around us.
It was grose. looked like an aneamic pea attatched to his nose (shudder)

oh well, worth a thought. pretty sure he got it from a bush he ran into. came out covered in baby spiders, git, i had to knock them off him. forgot about his face so the nose got it :curse:
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

We get the odd tick on the cats in the UK (not sure how relevant this is for Australia), however, thyme essential oil is apparently good at getting them to detach themselves (because pulling them off is a bad thing).

You can also try a lit cigarette held to it (that can make the buggers drop off) but this really depends on the patience of your dog. Our daft cat lay there with all four legs in the air purring as my husband really gingerly tried to burn one off on his throat - he succeeded in singe-ing the cat's fur (whilst the stupid thing still carried on purring), but didn't get any closer - however, the tick was gone the next day.

Probably not much good for a dog's nose though.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:28 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Really good info ... especially on how to remove a tick

http://lowchensaustralia.com/pests/bites.htm
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:55 pm
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by sel
Really good info ... especially on how to remove a tick

http://lowchensaustralia.com/pests/bites.htm

Great website thanks.

Best of all, according to the map, ticks aren't prevelant in adelaide (where we are hopefully going ) yey
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:00 pm
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by dottyspots
You can also try a lit cigarette held to it (that can make the buggers drop off)
Probably not much good for a dog's nose though.

think i might give that one a miss

Harvey went mad when the vet tried to get it off. Because it was on his nose he could see the tweezers coming and wasn't impressed at all.

If he does get another one hopefully it will be on the top of his head so he can't see whats going on.

The reason i asked on the aussie forum was because when we lived in sydney i remember them spraying, we had a massive infestation and they used to come round on those cherry pickers and spray the trees and scrub.

Aparently (according to the website given) you can make up your own spray with chilli vinagar and garlic. let it ferment for a few days and then spray round your garden. You have to do it regularly. But hey if you do get and infestation of ticks it might be worth it.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

I need some advice from all those already in oz.

Never really had a problem with tick in UK before, had dogs for years, never seen one.

Got our Westie last year and when we took him to the vets he mentioned about ticks, didn't take much notice.

Well after his walk last night (where he was as usual in the bushes) he came home with the biggest ugliest tick that should be on the planet.
He has now had the offender removed from the end of his poor nose (vet had to wrap him in a towel and lay on him because he wouldn't stay still) and is sleeping after his ordeal. poor sod.

The thing is, i asked what i could spray in our garden to kill any we might have there (foxes are a pain in the rear) and he told me there wasn't anything

When we lived in Sydney, that year was a tick infestation and i saw the trucks spraying the trees.
Do any of you spray anything to prevent ticks or was the vet right.
Any advice would be great.

thanks

Louise
We get loads of the buggers in Spain, but they sell a collar here called Prevencion (prevention in English ) it lasts for 3 months and our dog is tick free, ask your vet about them. Otherwise I can see an opening here for a business venture
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Ticks will also attatch themselves to humans and can carry some very unpleasant diseases.

G
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:11 pm
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by paulainspain
We get loads of the buggers in Spain, but they sell a collar here called Prevencion (prevention in English ) it lasts for 3 months and our dog is tick free, ask your vet about them. Otherwise I can see an opening here for a business venture

Look into it but i don't think they can get a licence here because apparently if the dog eats any part of it or it comes off and a child puts it in there mouth it is poisonous.

Can't say for sure but it isn't available yet anyway.
If you could get a licence for it it could be good cause according to my vet ticks are fast approaching a nuisance here now.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Look into it but i don't think they can get a licence here because apparently if the dog eats any part of it or it comes off and a child puts it in there mouth it is poisonous.

Can't say for sure but it isn't available yet anyway.
If you could get a licence for it it could be good cause according to my vet ticks are fast approaching a nuisance here now.
Blimey the vet hasn't mentioned it being a problem to dogs or children and I have 2 young boys!! It is sold by Drontal if I remember correctly, I'm sure it cant be too serious, then again we are in Spain and its basically who give a $%&£!!! Excuse my French!! I will ask him the next time I visit.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulainspain
Blimey the vet hasn't mentioned it being a problem to dogs or children and I have 2 young boys!! It is sold by Drontal if I remember correctly, I'm sure it cant be too serious, then again we are in Spain and its basically who give a $%&£!!! Excuse my French!! I will ask him the next time I visit.
Actually could be wrong, that might be worming tablets, bloody hell the things we give our animals, how did they survive before all this nonsense!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.