Reload this Page >

Thyroid Thread - Part Deux

Thyroid Thread - Part Deux

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Thyroid Thread - Part Deux

Thanks Tiddly Pom.

Yeh ! She display all the signs of dementia but from what is written here I think it's related to her not taking her meds. She doesn't really understand what the tablet does for her & what not taking it does to her.

Both her brothers and her son, my husband, have thyroid problems. The brother that lives with her takes his meds & goes for his blood tests, but is unable to encourage or remind her to take hers without getting an earful.

She was prescribed iron tablets a while ago when forced to the doctors but she doesn't take those either. Says they make her dizzy.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:19 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
After a while you get a return to the old symptoms... backache, brain fog etc.

This sounds more adrenal to me PP. Thyroid failure is considered by many to be the end result of adrenal stress. Check out Dr Lam's adrenal site.
I've heard of Addisons disease if you stop taking steroids, is that a similar thing as I haven't been in preds for about a year now.

My eyes are so dry and feel like there is sand in them whic doesn't fit in with being knackered, I have so much to do I so do not have time to be tired like this. I did laugh when the doctor felt my throat and asked me 'can you swallow?' I wanted to laugh and nearly replied 'not if I can help it'

Oh well, no news is good news so looks like I'm not in the Thyroid Club yet which is good as being on inhalers is enough. My money is on the fact that I am not only burning my candle at both ends but I'm burning everything else as well.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I've heard of Addisons disease if you stop taking steroids, is that a similar thing as I haven't been in preds for about a year now.

My eyes are so dry and feel like there is sand in them whic doesn't fit in with being knackered, I have so much to do I so do not have time to be tired like this. I did laugh when the doctor felt my throat and asked me 'can you swallow?' I wanted to laugh and nearly replied 'not if I can help it' pmsl

Oh well, no news is good news so looks like I'm not in the Thyroid Club yet which is good as being on inhalers is enough. My money is on the fact that I am not only burning my candle at both ends but I'm burning everything else as well.
Very funny
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:22 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

My eyes are so dry and feel like there is sand in them whic doesn't fit in with being knackered, I have so much to do I so do not have time to be tired like this. I did laugh when the doctor felt my throat and asked me 'can you swallow?' I wanted to laugh and nearly replied 'not if I can help it'

Not just Addinson's disease... adrenal fatigue... check it out. If you are burning the candle then it's to be expected, plus high levels of stress, which you've had, plus perhaps bereavement... so, y'know. You can treat your adrenals quite well yourself. Google for Dr Lam adrenal fatigue.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Went to get my results this morning and the doctor said it is pointing to 'Lupus' and has done a referral for more detailed tests. Arthritis, kidneys, thyroid, liver all OK just some other things that are raised and point to that.

I thought it was all in my head I really did but its not, but to be honest, I almost wish it had been thyroid. He has done an urgent referral to an immunologist, and given me letters/results to give to him.

I have heard of Lupus, my friend (elderly) has it in the UK and she is seriously ill with it, I am not like that but I dont understand if it is that, how I got it - in fact I dont understand much about it at all, he said something about my auto immune system or something - I cant remember exactly.

I have hidden this from my Dad as he will worry, the referral letter is in the boot of my car and Dad thinks I have a sinus infection

Oh well, I have lost more weight, my knickers are falling off my bum and I have an excuse for my fatigue.

And of course, it might not be that - Doctor reckoned there is no definite test for it only certain blood results and things that can give a strong indication.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that PP. Good luck with your referral & next round of investigations
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:19 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to bump this thread back up, but I have had some more blood tests, having been tested for thyroid trouble about six months ago (and having been found to be fine). I had to go for ante-natal blood screening tests a couple of weeks ago (unfortunately I have since lost the pregnancy), but my GP phoned me and asked me to go in today. It seems that my TSH is slightly elevated (I think she said it was about 0.5 higher than 'normal') so I have to go back in about 6 weeks for a TSH, T4 and T3 blood test.

As far as I understand, TSH is secreted by the pituitary, so the fact that there are elevated levels means that the thyroid isn't responding to the effect of the TSH, and so more is released to try and stimulate it in to action. So I guess that it could mean that my thyroid is indeed packing up, as suspected six months ago.

Interestingly, the vitamins etc that I was short of six months ago (B's, Vit D and Iron) are all back to normal now, and liver/kidney function still normal, but despite watching my diet and so on, I am still feeling the same.
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:59 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Is there anyone else on the thread who has had a total thyroidectomy for cancer?
I just don't know how I should be feeling!
I had two surgeries within 6 days, 3 months ago & had radioactive iodine treatment a few weeks ago. I got the all clear after that which is great.
My thyroxine levels are being run high to suppress the TSH & apparently my blood results are great.
Yet I feel so tired & low. I don't know if my expectations of myself are too high or if I am having symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I wish I could be having the 'run around very active' or the 'weight loss' symptoms if nothing else! Is it usual after surgery to have fluctuations, even when I have no thyroid left?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner!! I had a TT in 2006 - not due to cancer but the outcome is the same... a big hole in my neck!! How're you feeling now?
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:06 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
Sorry to bump this thread back up, but I have had some more blood tests, having been tested for thyroid trouble about six months ago (and having been found to be fine). I had to go for ante-natal blood screening tests a couple of weeks ago (unfortunately I have since lost the pregnancy), but my GP phoned me and asked me to go in today. It seems that my TSH is slightly elevated (I think she said it was about 0.5 higher than 'normal') so I have to go back in about 6 weeks for a TSH, T4 and T3 blood test.

As far as I understand, TSH is secreted by the pituitary, so the fact that there are elevated levels means that the thyroid isn't responding to the effect of the TSH, and so more is released to try and stimulate it in to action. So I guess that it could mean that my thyroid is indeed packing up, as suspected six months ago.

Interestingly, the vitamins etc that I was short of six months ago (B's, Vit D and Iron) are all back to normal now, and liver/kidney function still normal, but despite watching my diet and so on, I am still feeling the same.
So sorry to hear that you lost the pregnancy... hope you're managing to get your head around that. Have they mentioned any possible link between the pregnancy loss and a thyroid condition?

Yes you're right about the TSH - if its elevated it would mean (or should mean) that your thyroid bloods are low and its trying to boost them. Having said that, you/they should be going by how you're feeling rather than by your TSH alone (as I'm sure you already know by now from reading this thread). Usually the issue is that the TSH doesn't reach that all important 'out of range' figure and we're told we're 'normal' hoooo humm! If your TSH has hit it, and gone past it, (as in your case) you can be pretty guaranteed that you are Hypo and that your thyroid is playing about with you.

When you go back, ensure they test FT3 & FT4 rather than T4 and T3.

Good luck
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner!! I had a TT in 2006 - not due to cancer but the outcome is the same... a big hole in my neck!! How're you feeling now?
No worries!

Well, until I got a nasty cold last week, I was actually starting to feel much better but this has completely floored me. I guess I don't have my reserves back up yet. I'll get there, definitely feeling much more positive. Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Long time since having to post on this thread! Since i have had good results from all blood tests in the last year or two and felt quite well! until lately!

Shall start at the beginning - Two weeks before last Christmas i went to doctors as gland on right side of neck under the chin was swelling. Was told to keep an eye on it and come back if continues which it did march this year.
Second time back to doctors was referred to the hospital as doctor said could be the adrenal glands being dry due to the other health conditions i have (thyroid, raynaud's, gastric reflux).
Had appointment three weeks ago at the hospital. was examined and had tube put up nose as far as it was comfortable - was told it was all clear. Was told i had to go for scan and have a biopsy if needed during the scan, and was asked to cancel my holiday which i was due to go on the next day as was told every bit of time counts.
No i did not cancel my holiday!
Had appointments booked for as soon as i got back and boy am i glad i did not cancel my holiday as i was due to go this morning to hospital and they phone late yesterday to say it has been cancelled as consultant sick and would get in touch when to come in again.
I exsplained that i am due to go back to consultant for results on the 30th of this month so am now worried i wont get the scan done in time.
I received a letter from the hospital this week saying oropharynx looks normal. The examination of my neck feels tender and there is a 1 x 1 cm swelling on the right submandibular gland which was firm. I also have a small tender mass just below this which is possibly a lymph node.
I have also noticed when looking at my lips it has dropped down on the left side, which made me worry i had had a stroke. But after looking more closely i think it is the right side that has swollen on the chin bone and above therefore making the left side look like that.
I am also getting a lot of acheing ( Which i have done for a long time ) in the back of my neck and round.
I have not lost any weight, but when eating and drinking have to push it down. And tender to touch any where round the thyroid, you can also see swelling down the right side of the thyroid.
I am feeling extremely tired and lethargic.
I am finding it hard to go to sleep at bedtime with worry over this, and will be glad when i can get that scan.
Any one had similar? that could give me some advice as in what to do!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

dont have any advice to give ,but hope all turns out ok x
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Hospital rang this morning and new appointment for scan is for next week.
Just waiting now!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 5:15 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ausi dream
That's fast. Let us know how it goes. Everything X'd for you.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 5:33 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Good luck. Hope all goes well.

I am going for my blood tests tomorrow. The paperwork that the GP gave to me to take to the phlebotomist states ''Px hypothyroid'', so I guess that the GP thinks it is a given.

I have had a gastro bug for five days, hopefully it will still be okay to have them done. Feeling a bit better now, but gosh did it knock me for six! Still a bit shaky, but will hopefully be okay to drive tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.