Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

For those of you still in the UK...Why....

For those of you still in the UK...Why....

Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all
Default Re: For those of you still in the UK...Why....

with regards to exchange rates

yes they are crap but just do what we and a lot of other people are doing and just leave the money in the u.k until the right time

might be a year might be another 5

just bring the bare minimum to set yourself up and once you are earning $$$ the exchange rate doesnt matter
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are finally getting to make the move Kapri! I remember your posts from way back but sounds like it's something you need to do, bit like us really it was a "what if we don't" situation, would we be always wondering.

Would I come now, mmmm....actually the exchange rate situation might be easier to handle as it's been bad for so long, you would lower your expectations with your UK equity, knowing it's not going to go as far. Our problem was not selling when we moved out and then when we did sell the pound was on the slide but of course with past history we thought it would be a blip and bounce up again...nope! So that in itself was a major disappointment and a big impact on everything, smaller house, bigger mortgage etc.

Looking back, I'd probably still have come when we did but would have done a few things differently, good old hindsight! Coming now, guess it would depend on the situation a few years on, maybe not if I was comfy in the UK especially now at the age we are. Probably would be best to just come here on hols and enjoy it without the hassle of trying to live here. I saw more of Oz before I lived here which was the whole point of coming to live here!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We came over mid July 2010, which was much the same as today, in that house prices in UK were depressed and the exchange rate was bad (although not as bad as today) at 1.7, but it was certainly as bad as anyone had seen it for a while.

It was a very different deal to those that moved a few years earlier than us, who were perhaps able to cash in and come over with a lot of AUD to get set up with. If somebody was able to do that, it might be hard to imagine how different things would be if it had not been the case, but we don't dwell on the might have been.

We have left money and house in UK and perhaps one day we will move it over, or maybe we will leave it there until retirement even. It has meant we are starting over here financially, but we have good jobs and it is fine. No regrets.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We came on a whim. Were we in that position today, the house prices in both places plus the exchange rates would prevent us having a 'whim'.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

yup still coming

still happy about it - we'll find out when we get there if we've done enough research, we'll find out if it's possible to make new friends, we'll find out if we really like the lifestyle like we suspect we will, we'll find out if we can get jobs that pay as well as our research shows.

Our only rules are a) we make our minds up if we're staying before our boy is at school and b) the bulk of our money stays in the UK until we've decided so if we go back to the UK we've only lost the price of an expensive extended holiday rather than everything we'd need to settle back in.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:25 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31
yup still coming

still happy about it - we'll find out when we get there if we've done enough research, we'll find out if it's possible to make new friends, we'll find out if we really like the lifestyle like we suspect we will, we'll find out if we can get jobs that pay as well as our research shows.

Our only rules are a) we make our minds up if we're staying before our boy is at school and b) the bulk of our money stays in the UK until we've decided so if we go back to the UK we've only lost the price of an expensive extended holiday rather than everything we'd need to settle back in.
Yer too bright for OZ,you'll be home for crimbo
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We would still have come, but that is because job wise it is a lot better for me here than the UK and that was the sole reason we came and are still here. We very nearly moved back at the beginning of the year but we both knew me working long swings away in Africa wasn't for us.

But, in a few years time my career will be in a place that would allow a much more office based role back in the UK or somewhere else - we are very keen on Vancouver. Then we may well leave.

Me and the wife have lived in several countries and realized before we came that Oz would offer some pluses but also negatives. We didn't have a big draw to Oz, it just offers more / better options for my career at the moment.

Personally, if I was in a job that I could do in the UK we wouldn't even consider Oz or we had, would have already left as after two sudden deaths in close family in the last 12 months, it drives it home that thisnis a very long way from friends and family. Add in the isolation of Perth compared to the ease of an easy jet flight to Europe and we can't understand the draw of it. If you just want sunshine, save the visa, move, setting up costs and buy a bolt hole in Spain.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:48 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Some people on here may know my experiences.

Had the visa and a job offer in 2008.

At exactly the same time, my Dad died and our house sale fell through. It was also the start of the GFC, so house prices dropped rapidly and other buyers disappeared.
There was no way I could leave the UK when my mum had just had a major bereavement.
At the time I hated my job and couldn't wait to leave it far behind. In the wake of what had happened I got a new job that came with a great training opportunity. We settled back down into UK life and really made a go of it.
We now have a fairly good life - good friends, secure jobs, the kids are in great schools.

However, we are still coming to Australia later this year
I have just sent off my registration docs to AHPRA and we are in the process of painting the house ready for sale.

Mad? Yes, totally

Houses do seem to be selling round here so we will put it on at a realistic price and hope the exchange rate goes more in our favour by the time we want to buy in Aus.
Good luck hun Ems x
Old Apr 27th 2012, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kapri
Some people on here may know my experiences.

However, we are still coming to Australia later this year
I have just sent off my registration docs to AHPRA and we are in the process of painting the house ready for sale.

Mad? Yes, totally

Houses do seem to be selling round here so we will put it on at a realistic price and hope the exchange rate goes more in our favour by the time we want to buy in Aus.
Mad, No.......You will be fine
Old Apr 28th 2012, 8:11 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Mad, No.......You will be fine
Back at ya
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:20 pm
a long way from home

lindseymac is an unknown quantity at this point

We started our process almost 2 years ago now and just waiting for our house to sell. I got a job last April and visa ENS granted in Jan 12 so good to go. I now regret getting cold feet last summer when we were going to put the house on market, but stopped until the visa came through.
Of course now we are desperate to get going with the move and stuck in limbo.
We,re of to Perth and well aware of the price of houses etc, so different from our first visit 10 years ago when everything was cheap as chips.

I dont expect to move to paradise with a huge newbuild and 2 4x4 for the first few years anyway! but having the biggest house/car etc is not important to us. We are viewing the move as an opportunity and if it does'nt work then we will just come back to UK and start again,
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindseymac
We started our process almost 2 years ago now and just waiting for our house to sell. I got a job last April and visa ENS granted in Jan 12 so good to go. I now regret getting cold feet last summer when we were going to put the house on market, but stopped until the visa came through.
Of course now we are desperate to get going with the move and stuck in limbo.
We,re of to Perth and well aware of the price of houses etc, so different from our first visit 10 years ago when everything was cheap as chips.

I dont expect to move to paradise with a huge newbuild and 2 4x4 for the first few years anyway! but having the biggest house/car etc is not important to us. We are viewing the move as an opportunity and if it does'nt work then we will just come back to UK and start again,
I'm thinking that if we had come out as a "we'll give it a go, but if it doesnt work we'll go back" experience we may have ping ponged already... I suppose I'm lucky as its a one way move for us... Makes it easier to suck it up... Its doesnt prolong the should we stay should we go debate... Getting my head down and getting on with it ... For better or worse, til death us do part

I dream of going back for a visit... But as HE and the kids are happy I would never demand to go "home" to live.... That and the grey nomads arrive in 4 weeks forever too.... Think they might be a bit pissed off if i turned round and said we're going back
Old May 1st 2012, 6:46 pm
a long way from home

lindseymac is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I did'nt mean it as we would give up easily. Just meant that if we struggled being away from family it would'nt be the end of the world if we had to go back to UK. My husband has a disability which is helped by heat which is very much in short supply in Scotland so we very much see the move as for life.
Given that most of our families are a pain in the backside at the best of times, dont really expect it to be a problem. We have been over 4 times on extended holidays so dont have rose tinted sunnies on.