Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying a block of land ....

Thinking of buying a block of land ....

Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of buying a block of land ....

Well, it looks like we might go for it, putting the deposit on the land tomorrow

I think we are also going to go with Coral. Build time 16 weeks.

Spoke to both the land sales guy and the Coral rep and they answered a long list of questions that I have had time to prepare.

We looked at some other blocks today and non of them compared to ours, really happy with the choice we have made.

I still think that we must be mad, but its soooo exciting
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:53 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I think that there are a couple of other minor issues with corner blocks.... 1 is increased traffic noise. The other is encountered when you wish to renovate / extend. Some councils are very strict on modifications that change the external "street facing" appearance of the house.

To be fair though, these are very minor issues.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Because the house is at the back of an already established estate we would not get much traffic, we will not be on a main road and all there will be behind our street is is acreage and bush.

I have weighed up the pros and cons but to be honest I think that for this block we will have more pros.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:54 am
LAM
Forum Regular

LAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
We have saw a nice block 909m2 and have put it on hold. I have never wanted to build but we just cannot find what we want. It is a corner block which will give us side access as well.

Can anyone offer me some advice on what things I should look out for? We need to go in and pay a deposit this weekend.

I'm actually Sh***ing myself as I have heard it can be quite stressful. Yet, I am also quite excited by the thought of building our own home.
My advice is spend a few days reading some threads on here:

http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.c...hp?showforum=9

We were going to buy before June, but I'd rather risk housing prices increasing by 10% than losing 50% in the next few years!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

We put a deposit on the land contracts drawn up OH delivered them to our solicitor yesterday. She said it was all ok and just added one other clause in. If they agree to that then we can go ahead and sort the house out.

Watch this space.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We put a deposit on the land contracts drawn up OH delivered them to our solicitor yesterday. She said it was all ok and just added one other clause in. If they agree to that then we can go ahead and sort the house out.

Watch this space.

If you still have the contracts check the wording on start date.

Say a contract says build time 12 weeks, 12 weeks from when? approval of plans, within 30 days of approval of plans, whenever it suits them....

Loads of people get caught with this, build time sounds fabby wabby, but that is from when they start, make sure that is clear.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that, we haven't got to that stage yet though.

Our land is due to be registered mid May. The solicitor put in a clause that if it isn't registered by June then we get our deposit back! This is where alot of people fall down, people wait months for land to be registered and although we can wait until May/June we won't wait forever!

It pays to have a solicitor check out your land contract.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=jad n rich;7501382]If you still have the contracts check the wording on start date.

Say a contract says build time 12 weeks, 12 weeks from when? approval of plans, within 30 days of approval of plans, whenever it suits them....

This can be a problem, it took over 5 months for our plans to be approved!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

The work (stress?) starts now <g>.

As others have said, if you're building a standard pre-designed home, go through the specs and DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING! Do thread searches - people have found that things any normal non-Australian would assume are part and parcel of a house are extras, and charged as such. Things like skirting boards! And IIRC someone else found the included carpeting was just stuck down on the slab - no underlay "since they hadn't specified underlay".

Good luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:31 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the plumber
Forget the base price, that's just to get you on the hook........

Extras can add up $50/100 grand more.
My mate who's kind of in the trade says as a rule of thumb, double the base price and the time they say the build will take............
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gawd, has anyone got anything positive to say about building I am starting to get a little nervous. It is daunting to say the least.

If we had decided that we would stay in our comfort zone and not take on new challenges then we would still be in the UK, lol.

Thanks for the advise, it's much appreciated
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:56 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Gawd, has anyone got anything positive to say about building I am starting to get a little nervous. It is daunting to say the least.

If we had decided that we would stay in our comfort zone and not take on new challenges then we would still be in the UK, lol.

I'll swim against the current of all these doomsayers and congratulate you. You will always hit snags, but these are things you just haven't foreseen. When you get to them you'll solve them.

If you worried about snags you'd never get out of bed in the morning.

Look forward to opening the first bottle of wine on your new deck.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:12 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
I'll swim against the current of all these doomsayers and congratulate you. You will always hit snags, but these are things you just haven't foreseen. When you get to them you'll solve them.

If you worried about snags you'd never get out of bed in the morning.

Look forward to opening the first bottle of wine on your new deck.
That's ridiculous!

All those who have been through the process in Australia have had a myriad of hoops to jump through, and problems to overcome. To say that passing on their information to others - hopefully to prepare them and to help - makes them "doomsayers" is less than useful.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:23 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

hello there, here is a thread that you might find useful.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=747230

Last edited by asprilla; Apr 23rd 2009 at 11:31 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:18 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
That's ridiculous!

All those who have been through the process in Australia have had a myriad of hoops to jump through, and problems to overcome. To say that passing on their information to others - hopefully to prepare them and to help - makes them "doomsayers" is less than useful.
Myriad hoops turn up, myriad jumps you make. You still have to jump whether you know about them or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.