Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying a 4wd (Prado?)

Thinking of buying a 4wd (Prado?)

Old May 1st 2012, 10:38 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of buying a 4wd (Prado?)

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
errr the Jeep is more capable off road than the Vitara which is really a "soft roader" and it is only $28k new at the moment.

BB
We ruled out 'soft roaders' that were AWD with no low range. But the Grand Vitara didn't fall in to that category (it is 4WD with low range, unlike the other soft readers we looked at). I think it would prob be enough for driving on the beach (which is what we're looking to do).

It's not flashy inside but is less basic than the Jeep which we didn't like purely on its internal basic-ness (it'll be our only car so needs to be a nice comfy drive on a 2 hour drive to visit rellies etc).

Yeah you can get the basic model for $28 but we'd want some extras, so it'd be a few $k more than that. Which would be fine.

Still not totally sold on it though. A bit less basic would be good, but it's still worth considering due to our needs and the cost of this option.
Old May 2nd 2012, 2:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Thanks for all your suggestions. Here's where we are ATM.

Ruled out the Prados and Pajeros - Pajero don't make a 3 door SWB anymore (they stopped making them in 2009 and although we liked the 2009 one we test drove, we don't really want to buy a 3 year old car) and the 3 door Prado is v nice but very expensive ($60-75k)! The 5 door versions are just too big for us.

Ruled out all AWD's (even though there are some very nice options). We need a proper 4WD with low range option for proper off roading.

Suzuki Grand Vitara - definitely an option. Small enough for us, basic but nice enough inside, proper 4wd (low range), good price (pretty cheap compared to lots of others). Prob looking at $35k.

Toyota FJ Cruiser - didn't like it from the pictures (it's definitely a bit different looking!) but liked it a lot more in the flesh. Drives like a dream (Prado engine) and very smooth drive around town and would be awesome off road. It's funky and a bit alternative, but I think I like it. Looking at $50k.

So at the moment it's between the Grand Vitara and the FJ Cruiser (although we might change our minds again tomorrow!)
I like the Cruiser but no diesel engine - which for me is crucial in a 4WD.
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:12 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Would you consider a Toyota Hilux Or a Isuzu Dmax?

A lot more basic than the Prado and FJ but after having a 4wd SUV (Holden)that spent a lot of time off the road (as in the Mechanic). I loved the Hilux as it just gave me no trouble ever.

A Prado or a 2008+ Hilux in white would be my car of choice if money was not a huge factor.

Oh and if you do buy one dont skimp on tyres
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:16 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Would you consider a Toyota Hilux Or a Isuzu Dmax?

A lot more basic than the Prado and FJ but after having a 4wd SUV (Holden)that spent a lot of time off the road (as in the Mechanic). I loved the Hilux as it just gave me no trouble ever.

A Prado or a 2008+ Hilux in white would be my car of choice if money was not a huge factor.

Oh and if you do buy one dont skimp on tyres
I just don't want (or need) anything as long as a ute. Otherwise I'd definitely look at the Hilux as BiL has got one and loves his.
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:29 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

It's not flashy inside but is less basic than the Jeep which we didn't like purely on its internal basic-ness (it'll be our only car so needs to be a nice comfy drive on a 2 hour drive to visit rellies etc).
Sorry Buzzy, I think we only saw a base model Jeep and it was a couple of years old, so we hadn't actually seen a newer/nicer one. I actually think in hindsight that it might be an option for us, so we'll go and test drive one. If the inside isn't as basic as I thought, it would be great. (I don't really get the soft/hard roof thing though, but I guess that'll be obvious when we go and have a look!).

Thanks for the suggestion
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Buzzy, I think we only saw a base model Jeep and it was a couple of years old, so we hadn't actually seen a newer/nicer one. I actually think in hindsight that it might be an option for us, so we'll go and test drive one. If the inside isn't as basic as I thought, it would be great. (I don't really get the soft/hard roof thing though, but I guess that'll be obvious when we go and have a look!).

Thanks for the suggestion
There actually is only one interior, unless you get the 70th anniversary edition which is leather. However the 2011 onward models have a very nice cabin indeed. There are 2 specs, the base and the Rubicon. The Rubicon is about 9k more and has diff lockers and auto disconnecting sway bars so it is much more capable off road. But even stock, the Jeep will wipe the floor with almost anything else off road. On road it is the most fun car to drive I have ever driven. I took the hard top off on day 1 and just use the soft top, I even run with no doors in nice weather. Love it!

BB
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:26 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I like the Cruiser but no diesel engine - which for me is crucial in a 4WD.
Yep that rules it out for me too.

Looks like the Evoque it is for me then!
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:53 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

There actually is only one interior, unless you get the 70th anniversary edition which is leather. However the 2011 onward models have a very nice cabin indeed. There are 2 specs, the base and the Rubicon. The Rubicon is about 9k more and has diff lockers and auto disconnecting sway bars so it is much more capable off road. But even stock, the Jeep will wipe the floor with almost anything else off road. On road it is the most fun car to drive I have ever driven. I took the hard top off on day 1 and just use the soft top, I even run with no doors in nice weather. Love it!

BB
Definitely sounds like an option for us then. It's on the list and I'm looking forward to test driving it. Thanks BB
Old May 5th 2012, 2:42 am
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

FJ Cruiser .
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:35 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Just a little update.

After ruling out all soft roaders, rejecting the (very nice) 3 door Prado on price (and they don't make a 3 door Pajero anymore), finding the Suzuki Grand Vitara fine but a bit too 'beige' it came down to the Toyota FJ Cruiser or the Jeep Wrangler.

I really liked the FJ, but the husband loved the Jeep and the Jeep ticks all the boxes we had, plus it looks a lot of fun. And is $10k cheaper than the FJ, which helps. It's v nice to drive, a lot nicer inside than they used to be, love the hard top/soft top/no roof options, and it'll shit all over what we need to do with it off road. I think for our needs it's perfect.

So thanks Buzzy, you may now step forward and collect your commission from Jeep
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:44 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

As you have no kids to run over I would say go for it.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

There really was only one outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlKHX9et73w

BB
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:50 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by DeadVim
As you have no kids to run over I would say go for it.

BB
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Pajero over a Prado.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 2:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

BB
O. M. G. I hate that ad! We all end up screaming at the tv 'yes she bought a fricking jeep, get over it'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.