Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying a 4wd (Prado?)

Thinking of buying a 4wd (Prado?)

Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:49 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of buying a 4wd (Prado?)

We've currently got a Mazda 3 sedan, which is totally fine, but obviously we can't go off-road in it. We regularly get 2 fishing kayaks on the roof, or 2 bikes, and manage to fit plenty of fishing rods, camping gear etc in it, but since the in-laws have bought a place on Bribie Island, we like to go up there and drive along the beach to fish etc (we tend to go with his parents or brothers or one of his sisters, all of whom have 4wds).

So now the husband wants us to get a 4wd so we can go on the beach ourselves, and go camping/fishing etc up to Fraser etc as well, and generally do some off-reading ourselves. We've been various places doing things like that, but have gone with or borrowed his mates or one of his brother's cars.

I have been a bit reluctant up till now because we don't use our car very often (we both cycle to work every day, so only really use it to go to Coles on a Sunday, and then to visit family/friends and go fishing/kayaking/cycling etc). Most of the week it sits in the garage!

I don't particularly like the look of most 4wds because they look like enormous boxes, but quite like some of the 'soft-roaders' like the new Subaru XV, but think the husband is probably right that if we want to actually take it on the beach etc we should get a proper 4wd. So I guess we'll have to get a big box!

There's only the 2 of us, no kids, so really don't need (or want) anything enormous, so I'm thinking maybe the Prado short wheel base 3 door? The SWB Prado SX or ZR. It seems stupid to get one of the really giant ones, so thought this might be good.

Any thoughts? Any other recommendations for our situation? Thanks
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of buying a 4wd (Prado?)

Pajero, they have SWB models too. They go very well off road, have a 5 year warranty and have much more "fruit" than the Prado for the price.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:39 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Pajero, they have SWB models too. They go very well off road, have a 5 year warranty and have much more "fruit" than the Prado for the price.
What is this 'fruit' you speak of?

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Pajero as well.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
What is this 'fruit' you speak of?

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Pajero as well.
Stuff like traction control, ABS, aircon. You need to get a fairly top range Prado before you get that stuff. The Paj gets it all from the povo model up.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Go and test drive both. I had my heart set on a Pajero (hated the Prado with a passion) when we were in the market for a 4x4 and after test driving it and test driving the Prado we bought the Prado. Whilst the Mitsubishi has a lot more fruit as Renth calls it on the basic model we didn't like the drive or or the feel of it inside.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:11 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by renth
Stuff like traction control, ABS, aircon. You need to get a fairly top range Prado before you get that stuff. The Paj gets it all from the povo model up.
Originally Posted by northernbird
Go and test drive both. I had my heart set on a Pajero (hated the Prado with a passion) when we were in the market for a 4x4 and after test driving it and test driving the Prado we bought the Prado. Whilst the Mitsubishi has a lot more fruit as Renth calls it on the basic model we didn't like the drive or or the feel of it inside.
Ah, I see, thanks Renth

Thanks NB. Just had a look and it doesn't look they make a 3 door (smaller) Pajero anymore, and I'm pretty keen on not getting anything too big. So that might rule out the Pajero (although might go and have a look at them anyway).

We're booked in to test drive the Prado SWB 3 door, so we'll see how that goes.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:06 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Ah, I see, thanks Renth

Thanks NB. Just had a look and it doesn't look they make a 3 door (smaller) Pajero anymore, and I'm pretty keen on not getting anything too big. So that might rule out the Pajero (although might go and have a look at them anyway).

We're booked in to test drive the Prado SWB 3 door, so we'll see how that goes.
My Paj is AWESOME - especially after I installed the suspension upgrade.

Get a diesel BTW...
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:21 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

...or there is the VW Tiguan.

I love the latest range of VWs. Lovely to drive and extremely fuel economic in their range
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
...or there is the VW Tiguan.

I love the latest range of VWs. Lovely to drive and extremely fuel economic in their range
I really like the Amarok but it is way overpriced for what it is.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:28 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I really like the Amarok but it is way overpriced for what it is.
as is the Touareg I think. But the build quality in the entire VW series is second to nothing!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

as is the Touareg I think. But the build quality in the entire VW series is second to nothing!
Yep, I'm really happy with mine.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

But in know way compares to a Prado for it's off road capabilities, Go with the Landcruiser and make sure it's a diesel. Those things go forever.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 7:43 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by papilon
But in know way compares to a Prado for it's off road capabilities, Go with the Landcruiser and make sure it's a diesel. Those things go forever.
Landcruiser Diesel is my dream car. Of course, I would never be able to justify the price (too expensive to pay cash) and practicality (never leave the comfort of the cities) to OH.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Or the colour
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

si.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud of

Love my Prado, bought it when we arrived 6 years ago, used and abused it and its still going strong. Been on the beach over on Straddie, traveled between Sydney and Brisbane 3 times. Great car, but thats just my op.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.