British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Think we MAY have decided on Peregian Beach, Queensland! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/think-we-may-have-decided-peregian-beach-queensland-564599/)

emelems Oct 1st 2008 8:41 am

Think we MAY have decided on Peregian Beach, Queensland!

After travelling since beginning of May doing countless kilometres, from Perth all the way over the top... well, from Broome across NT (we nipped up to Darwin when we got to Katherine) and then onto Queensland and into Cairns and then headed downwards on Highway 1 all the way to Sydney (and quickly into the Blue Mountains for a cheeky visit) we have stopped to visit some fantastic and inspiring places.. I think that we may have found "our place"...

It was a toss us between Byron Bay and Peregian Beach (nr Noosa) as the places that we could see us settling, and now we are back in Byron Bay (which we do love... has a bit of a city atmosphere!) we are thinking that perhaps Peregian Beach will be the one... we are going back there in the next few days to see if that is so! Byron Bay is still in the running until we finally decide... However, we both think Peregian beach might be better to raise our children in .. (I say raise.. they are 10 and 12 so we only have the teenage years left, god help us! LOL!)..

Its getting very real now! After a 9 month holiday (we toured Europe and backpacked around Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore on the way! :rofl:) we are nearing our destination! We'll then be selling our Winnebago :( and going back to real life but this time in AUSTRALIA!

Ah... challenges challenges! LOL!

Em x

Grayling Oct 1st 2008 8:58 am

Re: Think we MAY have decided on Peregian Beach, Queensland!

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 6835107)
It was a toss us between Byron Bay and Peregian Beach (nr Noosa) as the places that we could see us settling, and now we are back in Byron Bay (which we do love... has a bit of a city atmosphere!) we are thinking that perhaps Peregian Beach will be the one... we are going back there in the next few days to see if that is so! Byron Bay is still in the running until we finally decide... However, we both think Peregian beach might be better to raise our children in .. (I say raise.. they are 10 and 12 so we only have the teenage years left, god help us! LOL!)..

I would think that Peregian beach (I was there this afternoon) is a far safer place than Byron Bay to bring up teenagers.

G

bcworld Oct 1st 2008 9:06 am

Not that I have seen the before and after I am told that Byron Bay has lost a lot of the charm that it once had. A friend of mine has just left there after only a few months to live in Mullumbimby. Apparently many former Byron Bay locals have done the same, as well as to other places like Brunswick Heads, Bangalow etc.

The population in Byron is very transient and there is no longer a real sense of community there. The town is gridlocked in the Summer months as well, not sure when you visited OP?

There are so many gorgeous little towns in NSW, I'd probably live in one close to Byron, but not the town itself.

emelems Oct 1st 2008 9:12 am

Yeah, we think the same... we both love the buzz of Byron Bay but the gridlock is awful (we were stuck in traffic today getting in) and it probably would be OK for kids, but it does have a bit of a reputation now... The Old Bloke lived here 17 years ago and when we arrived last month, his jaw was on the ground! LOL! He couldnt believe how busy it was!

If it were just me and The Old Bloke then I think we would probably pick Byron as we love the Railway pub for music and atmosphere and the shops are great...well the beach? fantastic! the views? fantastic...

But the crowds and trouble makers? hmmm... not great... we were in the sushi restaurant the other day and they had had their windows smashed and it was becoming a bit of a habit...

Peregian Beach had a wonderful feel to it... when we were there, it was market day and suddenly all the families came out with picnics and sat at the park... you could hardly move for friendly people!

Think it is going to be Peregian... I can feel it in my bones!

Em x

egghead4 Oct 2nd 2008 5:31 am

oooh luck you. we loved peregian beach, but it was out of our price range. I went to byron bay when I was backpacking, that was about 12 years ago, must say it was beautiful and sleepy, its a shame how places change.
anyway, best of luck with your decision, i know which one i'd choose:p
bec

melaniee Oct 2nd 2008 10:37 am

I've heard the same about BB. The sunshine coast is great and offers a lot for children.

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 6835166)
Not that I have seen the before and after I am told that Byron Bay has lost a lot of the charm that it once had. A friend of mine has just left there after only a few months to live in Mullumbimby. Apparently many former Byron Bay locals have done the same, as well as to other places like Brunswick Heads, Bangalow etc.

The population in Byron is very transient and there is no longer a real sense of community there. The town is gridlocked in the Summer months as well, not sure when you visited OP?

There are so many gorgeous little towns in NSW, I'd probably live in one close to Byron, but not the town itself.

helen/andy Oct 5th 2008 10:34 pm

Was there this afternoon we live close by, the markets were on then live music from 1 til 5pm lots of families everyone enjoying the sun and music an idilyic way to spend a sunday arvo:)
Peregian is a friendly place dont think you eill regret the choice at all

emelems Oct 6th 2008 5:43 am

oooh! us too! we were there! great music and chilled atmosphere... loved the way that everyone bought a gazebo with them for shade!

We are def moving here - just looking at rentals now and trying to get the kids into a school!

Em x