Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Things you don't know about the UK but DO know about Australia

Things you don't know about the UK but DO know about Australia

Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you don't know about the UK but DO know about Australia

You always get the questions (even silly) asking if you can get Cheesits or something in Australia.

I am finding after more than 8 years away from the UK that I know far less about the UK than I ever did and more about Australia or Europe. Having got married, had kids here and bought a proper house here, I feel that I am more equipped to deal with Australia than the UK.

My questions:

i) Can I get colorbond in the UK? What is the local name? (I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a backward, cheap nasty Strayan thing and that the Uk is so far advanced it is not called for).
ii) What wood do I buy? What is the grading system used. Here it is F5/F7/F17 etc?
iii) What are the building spans used? Are they similar? (But see i)
iv) What make is a decent chainsaw?
v) If I want to buy a new cheapo power tool, what is the local equivalent of GMC or Ryobi?
vi) Do UK retained firefighters have decent gear? What size is all their hose fittings and diameters? What sort of Breathing Apparatus are they on? Vehicles? SoPs?
vii) Where do I buy all the various cement mixes and toppings? Do they have similar stuff.
viii) Can I buy a cypress pine post in Great Mills? Or ripple iron?
xi) Does the UK have BPay?
x) What's the UK Met Office website like - is it as good as the Australian one? Haven't got the time to check.:-(
Funny. I know nothing (in the detail I know about Strayan weather) about the UK weather - NEVER checked it - or complained about it either. What I got, I got.
xi) Do they have child maternity nurses for each village or town with monthly or weekly house vists?
xii) Do you get free community creches?

It doesn't stop!

Answers please - and more if you can think of them...
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:34 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice
Default Re: Things you don't know about the UK but DO know about Australia

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What's the UK Met Office website like - is it as good as the Australian one? Haven't got the time to check.:-(
The time it took to write this thread you coul have
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Things you don't know about the UK but DO know about Australia

You always get the questions (even silly) asking if you can get Cheesits or something in Australia.

I am finding after more than 8 years away from the UK that I know far less about the UK than I ever did and more about Australia or Europe. Having got married, had kids here and bought a proper house here, I feel that I am more equipped to deal with Australia than the UK.

My questions:

i) Can I get colorbond in the UK?
Not as far as I'm aware. Poms just haven't heard of the stuff; mention it and you get blank faces all round. I think the most sophisticated alternative you can get over here is corrugated iron.

Pretty much the same as Down Under. Most leading brands are international anyway.

v) If I want to buy a new cheapo power tool, what is the local equivalent of GMC or Ryobi?
Ryobi!

No, unfortunately. You have to pay the old fashioned way - by phone or post. Drives me up the wall. And there's no pre-paid envelopes, either. It's like living in the 50s.

x) What's the UK Met Office website like - is it as good as the Australian one? Haven't got the time to check.:-(
Here.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No, unfortunately. You have to pay the old fashioned way - by phone or post. Drives me up the wall. And there's no pre-paid envelopes, either.
No you don't. The equivalent of BPay is Direct Debit - or a standing order in some cases. Both piss easy to set up - details at the bottom of all your utility bills.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
No you don't. The equivalent of BPay is Direct Debit - or a standing order in some cases. Both piss easy to set up - details at the bottom of all your utility bills.
I don't like Direct Debits, they can go out when you forget, on different dates and often you stop them and they miracously get reinstated.

My impression is that you give the bank permission to set up the first DD but once you cancel it, its between you and the organisation- it can't be reinstated by either them or the bank.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jib
The time it took to write this thread you coul have
smart bastard. Will check....infact...

It's prettier, but the data - stats not quite so readily available or in a format you can grap quickly.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 19th 2006 at 6:29 am.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:29 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Lawn shears; you know the ones on a long handle that trim the edge of the lawn? Can't get them here.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Lawn shears; you know the ones on a long handle that trim the edge of the lawn? Can't get them here.
Can't get in the uk? If you can, then you are off-topic
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:38 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hungry so...

1. Can you get calamari rings in the fish and chips shop?

2. Are smoothies popular in the UK?

3. Can you get gelato ice cream stuff?

4. Do they have non-stop sales in the UK?

5. Can you get turkish bread / pide?

6. What are yabbies called outside of Australia?

7. Can you get basil / rocket / aubergine / artichoke dips in the UK or is Australia just dip-mad?

8. What's the equivalent of hard jubes (fruit pastilles come close, but jubes are harder)?

9. Is there an equivalent to Mersey Valley crumbly vintage cheese with pickled onion?

10. Cheese kranskys - an Aussie invention?

must go and eat something before I begin eating keyboard...
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:39 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

No, unfortunately. You have to pay the old fashioned way - by phone or post. Drives me up the wall. And there's no pre-paid envelopes, either. It's like living in the 50s.

I can transfer any amount to anyone at any time through my First Direct account. It's easy and most banks do it through internet banking.

Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
my husband spent hours looking for those, he doesn't want to buy one of those nasty petrol edgers. if you find them let me know.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

My questions:

i) Can I get colorbond in the UK? What is the local name? (I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a backward, cheap nasty Strayan thing and that the Uk is so far advanced it is not called for).
ii) What wood do I buy? What is the grading system used. Here it is F5/F7/F17 etc?
iii) What are the building spans used? Are they similar? (But see i)
vi) Do UK retained firefighters have decent gear? What size is all their hose fittings and diameters? What sort of Breathing Apparatus are they on? Vehicles? SoPs?
vii) Where do I buy all the various cement mixes and toppings? Do they have similar stuff.
Funny. I know nothing (in the detail I know about Strayan weather) about the UK weather - NEVER checked it - or complained about it either. What I got, I got.
xi) Do they have child maternity nurses for each village or town with monthly or weekly house vists?
xii) Do you get free community creches?

It doesn't stop!

Don't know about those things, but I always struggled to get a nice flat white or a decent fruit smoothie that wasn't just ice and cordial.

S
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I can transfer any amount to anyone at any time through my First Direct account. It's easy and most banks do it through internet banking.

Really? Try doing it to NTL. Watch as your money simply disappears into the dark void between your account and theirs!

Then watch as they come along and cancel your services because you didn't pay, despite the fact that you have the transaction receipts and that your bank says they transferred the money.

NTL=NTHELL

One thing I certainly don't miss!

S
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:32 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

I'm hungry so...

1. Can you get calamari rings in the fish and chips shop? Probably in London!

2. Are smoothies popular in the UK? Yup!

3. Can you get gelato ice cream stuff? eerr no!

4. Do they have non-stop sales in the UK? Yup

5. Can you get turkish bread / pide? No - but I'm looking forward to it in Oz

6. What are yabbies called outside of Australia? crayfish?!

7. Can you get basil / rocket / aubergine / artichoke dips in the UK or is Australia just dip-mad? no and yes

8. What's the equivalent of hard jubes (fruit pastilles come close, but jubes are harder)? American hard gums?

9. Is there an equivalent to Mersey Valley crumbly vintage cheese with pickled onion? are you mad?

10. Cheese kranskys - an Aussie invention? we've got the Krankies? are they the same?

must go and eat something before I begin eating keyboard
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Great Mills exist any more, think they changed over to focus - could be wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.