Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Things to see on the way

Things to see on the way

Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:35 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things to see on the way

Myself and the wife are relocating to the Gold Coast. The plan was to drive up there on Tuesday morning. But i now have to fly up on Monday for a four day course before we fly back to Sydney on Friday. So we now plan on leaving Saturday morning. But i was hoping to take a few days to drive back to the Gold Coast. So my question is. What would people recommend seeing on the way? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:47 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to see on the way

30 views and not one suggestion! Has no one ever driven from Sydney to the Gold Coast? I have no idea what to see on the way. Hence why i asked here. Anyone?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, can't help as not been down that way either!
Hopefully someone will come along soon who can give you some good advice
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:28 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I've not ever made that trip either, but it is a very common route, especially for backpackers....
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:13 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by SNH
I've not ever made that trip either, but it is a very common route, especially for backpackers....

Maybe thats the problem. Many people live here but havent actually travelled in Oz. I done it years ago. But we did it in one hit as my mate was off to Brissie to see his missus and we had no time. This time i want to enjoy the drive and see as much as we can.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
30 views and not one suggestion! Has no one ever driven from Sydney to the Gold Coast? I have no idea what to see on the way. Hence why i asked here. Anyone?
Paris is beautiful in the spring.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.totaltravel.com I think it has a route planner, accommodation and things to see and do. Sorry can't be of more help as I have never been up that way.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:45 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by Keith&Lol
Try www.totaltravel.com I think it has a route planner, accommodation and things to see and do. Sorry can't be of more help as I have never been up that way.

Thanks. But i was hoping to get some personal experiences. Anyone.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Thanks. But i was hoping to get some personal experiences. Anyone.
Are you able to make the title of your thread more specific which may encourage more folks to read it in the first place?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:58 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

We drove between Sydney and the Gold Coast a few years back, stopping overnight at Port MacQuarie and Byron Bay en route. Both really pretty places to visit. Byron Bay is the eastern most point on mainland Australia.

Julie.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've driven up to Queensland from Sydney quite a bit.

Travelling north, you could spend a day or two in the Hunter Valley. Lots of lovely wine to try and good restaurants too.

Check out Port Stephens and maybe do a dolphin cruise.

There's not a huge amount to see on the Pacific Highway itself as it rarely follows the coast so take any turn-off towards the coast that you like the look of. Myall Lakes are interesting - but it's very quiet around there.

Port Maquarie is worth a quick look, same with Coffs Harbour. Also checkout Bellingen inland from Coffs Harbour. It's a nice little country town with a slight hippy feel.

There are some amazingly scenic and remote roads that will take you across the range at various spots on the trip north. (Gloucester to Walcha, Armidale to Kempsey and Grafton to Glen Innes on the old road) that I'd take if it was me doing the trip but it would add a lot of driving to your trip and probably an extra week .

Sticking to the coast, I think the scenery gets far more interesting when you get to the north of the state. Definitely stop at Byron Bay - the scenery in the whole Byron area is really gorgeous and it's worth staying in that area for a while to also check out the hinterland around there: Mullumbimby, Bangalow, Nimbin etc and the Mount Warning surrounds.

Have fun - I'm jealous
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

We drove last July fm Sydney to the Gold Coast and stopped overnight at Coffs Harbour. The road is not very scenic at all and full of speed cameras. Coffs Harbour was nothing special. We stopped at Byron for lunch which is lovely. We had the dog so did not do it slowly but still a boring journey.
Good Luck
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:55 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney
We drove last July fm Sydney to the Gold Coast and stopped overnight at Coffs Harbour. The road is not very scenic at all and full of speed cameras. Coffs Harbour was nothing special. We stopped at Byron for lunch which is lovely. We had the dog so did not do it slowly but still a boring journey.
Good Luck
I'm with Nicky.... Bellingen is lovely though they got a bit flooded recently I think but not in the main town, Bryon Bay - has an excellent tatoo artist () and gorgeous beaches... Big banana at Coff's - pull in, wind the window down, take picture, carry on going... Miss Port Macquarie... it's bland and Byron bay is far nicer.
Byron Bay's lighthouse is worth a visit. You can often see whales going past there if you're lucky. Might not be right season though.

Deffo stop in the Hunter... do a bit of a wine taste.

Long road to get there and going inland can be more fun. I went through Armidale last time and stopped off at this amazing steak restaurant in the town... if you go there, eat there. Fab.
The Wicklow
http://www.wicklow.com.au/restaurant.html
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:18 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

To us Brits Byron by day is just paradise IMO. By night it can be a bit dodgy, but certainly worth a visit.

I've only driven as far south as Coffs from Brisbane. Alot of the Hinterland of Byron is quite stunning and worth a trip inland
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney - Brisbane, a journey of 450 miles as the crow flies, and judging from the dearth of suggestions, bugger all to see or do.

Plenty to look at, in an 'I'm looking out of the window' sort of way, but nothing to see in a 'oh look I can see a castle' sort of way.

We went to Ballina / Byron Bay last year. Ballina is hellish boring, Byron Bay is nice. The scenery is nothing spectacular. And there's nothing to do, unless you have an unhealthy interest in macadamia nuts.

Last edited by spartacus; Mar 10th 2009 at 12:24 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.