Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are things really better?

Are things really better?

Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:49 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are things really better?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Six foot row boats, nicked from the park lake, are NOT worth 2 mill.
Then the mans a fool
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Was that THEE Irish guy?
No, his name wasn't vinnie....though he did do a fair amount of slipping
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:57 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No, his name wasn't vinnie....though he did do a fair amount of slipping
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:05 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You're a joke pal. Threads comparing $200k cars, threads asking for flats in Sydney in the $2-3million bracket, threads about multi-million dollar boats... who are you trying to impress?
You seem inflated with items for comparison? It may surprise you but off line there are people on BE interested in such things. Not everyone dwells on the joneses or life back in England.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
He let him live didn't he
Sounds about right to me too

Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:30 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just say that its nipple chillingly cold tonight, I just thought I would say that.

Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:39 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Can I just say that its nipple chillingly cold tonight, I just thought I would say that.

Brass monkeys out there tonight down to 1deg brrr
Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nice and warm in here. Mind you there's no-one here to notice one way or the other
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
You seem inflated with items for comparison? It may surprise you but off line there are people on BE interested in such things. Not everyone dwells on the joneses or life back in England.
I see your point. I mean this thread really dragged them in off the streets didn't it?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673659

Anyway, shouldn't you be spending that valuable time of yours better, other than wasting time talking to the peasants on BE... off kicking some poor people perhaps?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
Brass monkeys out there tonight down to 1deg brrr
Ive got a high Viz fleece on in reception, its so cold - I look like big orange 'thing' with nipples.

The joys of working in a workshop.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

I was thinking about the days before we had mobile phones (Mr PP and myself), in fact back in 1996, we didnt even have a landline phone in the house and had to go to the phonebox to make any calls.

My first mobile phone was quite a chunky thing and cost 50 pence a min to make a call and I remember yelling down the phone to my Dad 'Im calling from a mobile, cant speak long' and then hanging up. Why I felt the need to yell when I was on a mobile or even call him to tell him and then hang up I do not know.

Its a bit like when you first go abroad you have to call someone in your family - anyone will do, just so you can say 'I am calling from Turkey' and you adopt that loud, slow voice as though you are talking to someone that can't understand you.

The first time I got a computer and connected to the internet, I remember saying to Mr PP 'Thats it, we are on the internet now' and then feeling nervous about how much it would cost as we had a 'freeserve' account and were charged by the minute. 'Be careful' Mr PP said rather nervously and I would gaze at Internet Explorer and decide it was indeed dangerous and then disconnect feeling a bit 'naughty' for going on the world wide web.

Then I got a laptop and joined AOL - Oh how I loved their site, it was like a well designed living room and I had unlimited internet dial up and would be on there all night, having been sucked into the evils of the net and that was even before I had heard of BE so there is no hope for me now .

Mobile phones got smaller, cheaper, more efficient. Computers got cheaper and more accessible and that meant we could be contacted at any time.

The other night I was on the internet (BE and Facebook if you must know) and my phone rang and it was someone from work needing some info, I have a wealth of information on my crappy shitty 'big mistake' of a Nokia E72 (regret does not even cover it and Im stuck with the bastard for 2 years), so I was able to help my colleague.

Are our lives better for this technology? Did you prefer the days when a day off meant just that and you couldnt be contacted?

Or do you like the feeling that people can get in touch whenever they want?

I love new gadgets and am continually fascinated with how stuff develops and will admit to wondering how we managed without computers and phones.

But sometimes, just sometimes I do miss the days where you couldnt be 'found' and your day off was your day off and nothing could disturb it.

we have an "emergency mobile". It is for us in case we get stuck somewhere, nobody knows the number. I strongly believe that people do not need to contact when and wherever I am. I make the choice. Often mobile calls are difficult to understand anywhere so what's the point. I don't need to know what someone cooks for dinner when I'm in Myers or just try to choose fish at a fish monger. I also don't need to take picture of all and anything while I'm on the road , party or so on. I wouldn't not alow my kids to spent 3/4 of the day on the mobile.

Without a computer my life would be completely different. I would not be living in Australia if we didn't had this opportunity to connect with the world. The computer is in principle my life. I'm eager to learn about knew things or read about things which I otherwise would not be able to do. I'm not a member of facebook or any other chatterbox, bores me completely.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

My mobile is actually out of juice as I type ... do I look bovvered?

I got so bad (good?) that my pre-pay would expire and I'd need a new SIM every few months.

I love gadgets though, my iPod is a current fave and is useful and life-enriching in many ways ... sometimes I even play music on it.

I'd still rather read a decent book if I'm at a loose end though.

Generally it is not good to be always connected but this can be managed by the judicious use of the Off Button. Same goes for taking mobile calls ... mine is set to vibrate and no-one is in the least bit surprised if I don't answer it.

It's nice to have the option of all this fancy stuff but it is also nice to get some walking boots on and head off into the wilderness with nowt but a backpack containing stuff that does not require recharging.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:29 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive got a high Viz fleece on in reception, its so cold - I look like big orange 'thing' with nipples.

The joys of working in a workshop.
I'm warm and still in bed after a late night watching the football.

The joys of having a week off work
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a wealth of information on my crappy shitty 'big mistake' of a Nokia E72 (regret does not even cover it and Im stuck with the bastard for 2 years),

This is very relevant to me... I had an E71 and got an E72 a few weeks ago. The E71 was superb. I read reviews about the E72, went for it and it has been abysmal so much so that I've gone back to the E71.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
This is very relevant to me... I had an E71 and got an E72 a few weeks ago. The E71 was superb. I read reviews about the E72, went for it and it has been abysmal so much so that I've gone back to the E71.
I despise my E72 and I am stuck with it unless I can afford to buy something better - outright which of course I can't.

I wish I had bought the iPhone when I had the chance. I might tell Vodafone the E72 is shite, it wont do any good but it will make me feel a whole lot better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.