Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Things to buy before i move??

Things to buy before i move??

Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

KEVING is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things to buy before i move??

I’m going to be moving to Perth at the end of October is there anything I should really buy before I come – I’m also taking a container so its much easier to take things?

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all
Default Re: Things to buy before i move??

Hi All,

I'm sure I've read/heard that customs can be funny about new things in your container, in that they may end up taxing you for them.

I may be wrong (probably am).

Thanks all

M
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:17 pm
we're there!

AshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant future

generally anything in your possession for at least 12 moths will be exempt from customs duty...(receipts will prove ownership date)

anything newer may attract duty...
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to behold

Well, i will certinally be stocking up on bedding, have heard its expensive in Oz. Not heard of customs charging for extra on new stuff though, unless you had a hundred matteress in that looked like you were going try and flog em??
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:44 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I would suggest if you are considering buying one (or replacing an old one) that you should buy a Dyson hoover before you go as they are very pricey and a difficult thing to get discounted over here. But as with all hoovers you must make sure that you clean or buy replacement filters/bags and clean your hoover very thoroughly as customs will prob check for that- they charge you to clean them.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by KEVING
I’m going to be moving to Perth at the end of October is there anything I should really buy before I come – I’m also taking a container so its much easier to take things?

Thanks
We bought a brand new automatic washing machine and tumble dryer in UK before we left for Perth. I did use them for about 2 weeks before we left, but they got through customs fine, no probs. No extra fee.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by squeezzii
I would suggest if you are considering buying one (or replacing an old one) that you should buy a Dyson hoover before you go as they are very pricey and a difficult thing to get discounted over here. But as with all hoovers you must make sure that you clean or buy replacement filters/bags and clean your hoover very thoroughly as customs will prob check for that- they charge you to clean them.
My Dyson was filthy, i forgot to clean it. But it was packed and never checked at customs lol.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:21 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

lucky you-Its funny as I had packed all my xmas deccies and totally forgot about the pine cones etc- they didnt pick that stuff up but they did pick on my bicycle which WAS cleaned! they seem to go in fits and starts, but its probably best if you do clean up your stuff just in case
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by squeezzii
lucky you-Its funny as I had packed all my xmas deccies and totally forgot about the pine cones etc- they didnt pick that stuff up but they did pick on my bicycle which WAS cleaned! they seem to go in fits and starts, but its probably best if you do clean up your stuff just in case
Definately, i did clean almost everything, but forgot the Dyson. My Xmas tree got through fine aswell, even my decs which had cones in. Infact i bet my container didn't get checked at all
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:34 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

I’m going to be moving to Perth at the end of October is there anything I should really buy before I come

Mate, with the amount you're gonna be earning I wouldn't have thought that saving the odd $100 here and there would be of concern........

But seriously......... front-loader washing machines tend to be pricey here compared to top-loaders, but front-loaders are more economical to use, so that might be a purchase......

There is absolutely nothing else that we brought and are really grateful that we did, and nothing that we ditched and wished we hadn't.......

Don't quote me on this, but I think the thing with paying duty is this...... because you are taking the item out of the country (UK), you are entitled to claim back VAT (17.5%). But govts like you to have paid tax to someone somewhere, so if you do claim your VAT then the Aussies could ask you to pay GST - but this is only 10%. So I reckon the smartest thing to do is claim your VAT and wait and see if the Aussies notice what's in your container.....

I now fully expect someone to answer this post with 'what a load of sacs".....
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Definately, i did clean almost everything, but forgot the Dyson. My Xmas tree got through fine aswell, even my decs which had cones in. Infact i bet my container didn't get checked at all
i am positive my container wasn't checked - no bxs was opened at all all the boxs was as they were still as they were when they were packed

guess i was lucky
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
a Le Creuset Pot - they are double the price here at least.
j
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

adapter plugs, cos there are loads of plugs that you cannot change ie, mobile phone chargers etc.
We also bought over a few (and I now wish maybe a dozen), extension leads with 4 UK sockets on the end...that way we only changed the plug at one end and saved money on Oz plugs....cos they are not cheap, especailly when you are changing EVERYTHING (tis surprising how many electrical goods you have).

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by winedonju
adapter plugs, cos there are loads of plugs that you cannot change ie, mobile phone chargers etc.
We also bought over a few (and I now wish maybe a dozen), extension leads with 4 UK sockets on the end...that way we only changed the plug at one end and saved money on Oz plugs....cos they are not cheap, especailly when you are changing EVERYTHING (tis surprising how many electrical goods you have).

Hope this helps.

And we wish we'd have bought a couple of small flat screens for the kids, cos they all work fine, and we can't find them any where near as cheap as they where in the UK, and just for the record our big flat screen works fine, and more to the point it has digital in it , which picks up the digital channels here. All we had to do was hit the retune button!!!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:46 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by winedonju

Hope this helps.

Ha ha!! My OH's sole contribution to 'getting to ready to emigrate' was to go round and snip the plugs off everything!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.