Are they for real?

Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are they for real?

Originally Posted by Burbage
No one is disagreeing that carbon dioxide levels have gone up. No one is disagreeing that the world is getting a bit warmer. There is also an exponential increase in the number of silicon chips over the same period. What has not been shown by anyone is a causation. You could equally say that a rapid increase in global temperatures is the result of the increase in silicon chips.

Here's an experiment. If the carbon dioxide change in the atmosphere can cause a significant difference to the greenhouse effect then the temperature on a cloudless midwinter night in the desert should be significantly warmer today than it was 50 years ago, since the only thing that has changed in that scenario is the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere (since the sun, the heat island effect of cities and water vapour have been eliminated). Have a look at some weather station data. There is no difference. This means that the earth is losing heat at night at the same rate, or possibly faster, as it has always done. Which means that the greenhouse effect (which is why our planet doesn't go to absolute zero when the sun goes down) is at the very least, the same, but certainly not "significantly" more heat retaining than before. And CO2 can ONLY affect the greenhouse effect. Ergo, it's not CO2 that is causing global warming.
You are confusing weather and climate. Weather is local, short-term. Climate is global, measured globally by many different methods (this is not modelling) and viewed over a much longer time scale. Looking at weather station data for a chosen location will tell you nothing about climate change.

The greenhouse effect of CO2 and other gases can be demonstrated in and accurately measured in a controlled laboratory situation. The effect increases with the concentration of CO2. CO2 concentration is increasing globally at a comparatively faster rate than a hundred years ago. It has happened before (not man-made) and had drastic effects, back on a geological time scale.

Here's a little history
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:12 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I keep thinking I should do that, but I'd rather do boat trips round Tassie with seals and penguins I know whales are amazing creatures but they don't really hold that magic for me! As you say, wouldn't do if we were all the same.
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Done them already but still love going back and doing them again. There's a spot on Bruny Island off Tassie where you can sit in the evening and just watch the penguins coming out of the water and walking up the dunes, totally wild and peaceful....time I paid it another visit I think
sounds like it
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>You are confusing weather and climate. Weather is local, short-term. Climate is global, measured globally by many different methods (this is not modelling) and viewed over a much longer time scale. Looking at weather station data for a chosen location will tell you nothing about climate change.<<

In any case, climate change in the context of "Global warming" has more to do with the overall amount of heat in the whole planet's mass than local or even global atmospheric temperatures. And the majority of that heat is contained in the oceans, which hold the key to global weather and climate. If oceanic temperatures change then the knock-on effects and their feedbacks can be dramatic, if very slow to be seen.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:25 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Those Miss USA contestants are sure cute, aren't they? The temptation to generalize must be resisted or the dumbest person in the world will surely be found in your own country. They should teach karma in school. Still it's remarkable (even allowing for their youth and the pressure of the contest) that so many girls that dense could be gathered in one place. Imagine what greatness they might be capable of as a team!

Last edited by caretaker; Oct 18th 2011 at 11:45 am.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:08 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This has gone on too far, I have given those that are taking the video as genuine, the benefit of the doubt.

There might be a bunch of nutty and stupid people in the states, but even dumber are people who do not see the video as satire.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 18th 2011 at 6:14 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:44 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
The greenhouse effect of CO2 and other gases can be demonstrated in and accurately measured in a controlled laboratory situation. The effect increases with the concentration of CO2. CO2 concentration is increasing globally at a comparatively faster rate than a hundred years ago. It has happened before (not man-made) and had drastic effects, back on a geological time scale.
"Climate change" is a complete scam!

These scientists know that if they do research and results are in no way alarming, their research will gather dust on the shelf and their research careers will languish. But if they do research that sounds alarms, they will become well known and respected and receive scholarly awards and, very importantly, more research dollars will come flooding their way.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:00 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
You are confusing weather and climate. Weather is local, short-term. Climate is global, measured globally by many different methods (this is not modelling) and viewed over a much longer time scale. Looking at weather station data for a chosen location will tell you nothing about climate change.

Here's a little history
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm
No I'm not. I'm specifically concentrating on the mechanism proposed by IPCC which is the greenhouse effect, and that is neither weather nor climate. And it is testable using long term averages. It is a single mechanistically testable variable, and it is only thing that carbon dioxide has any effect on.

The sun has far more effect on the climate than carbon dioxide, and it's not even included in climate models, simply because its energy output is impossible to predict.

If anything, it's the natural climate change deniers that keep pointing out the weather and saying things like "man made climate change has caused this."

And as for carbon dioxide in the past, it has increased as a result of global warming it has not caused it. As the planet warms up there is higher productivity, therefore more CO2.

Last edited by Burbage; Oct 19th 2011 at 2:03 am.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That youtube clip is so false it's not true. Not one of those women would be in a Miss US/Universe comp. America wouldn't allow it. Whilst I know they both hit at the same time, I can also guarantee the heavier one would land on my foot.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRtycwyE1kU

And I watched a programme the other day where an interviewer asked members of the public some questions about basic science with the most dismal answers.

Example - if a cannon ball and a football are simultaneously dropped from the same height in a vacuum, which will hit the ground first? Not a single person knew the answer- not one. And almost to a wo/man they refused to accept the correct answer.

And we are taxed billions to educate the young? Gimme a break
Tell us the bloody answer - can't be bothered to look at Youtube. And explain it to me too.

Is this all about the Jock in a cave who saw a spider building a web or the Pommie one who had an apple fall on his head? Hang on, did he shoot it off his son's head and get charged by the Family Court for his trouble?

Damn! I wish I'd paid more attention in school instead of spending all my time drilling a hole in the front of my desk with a compass point.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:34 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
Tell us the bloody answer - can't be bothered to look at Youtube. And explain it to me too.

Is this all about the Jock in a cave who saw a spider building a web or the Pommie one who had an apple fall on his head? Hang on, did he shoot it off his son's head and get charged by the Family Court for his trouble?

Damn! I wish I'd paid more attention in school instead of spending all my time drilling a hole in the front of my desk with a compass point.
If a cannon ball and a football are simultaneously dropped from the same height in a vacuum, they will hit the ground at the same time.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
And as for carbon dioxide in the past, it has increased as a result of global warming it has not caused it. As the planet warms up there is higher productivity, therefore more CO2.
Higher productivity of what?

CO2 used to at MUCH higher concentrations. It was the breakdown of CO2 that gave the earth the much of oxygen and water that we have today, which produced the conditions for life to start.

And it is testable using long term averages.

What is testable by averages of what? Please define long-term.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
Is this all about the Jock in a cave who saw a spider building a web or the Pommie one who had an apple fall on his head?
Why did you happen to mention those two things?
Is it subliminal activity at play I ponder?
Implants from my threads 2 days ago?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735928
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735929

Science is enlightening but the paranormal is intriguing.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:05 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not one of those women would be in a Miss US/Universe comp.
Maybe, but I bet Statler and Waldorf would.

Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:07 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Maybe, but I bet Statler and Waldorf would.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14njUwJUg1I

Renth and Amazulu?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:18 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Yep

And I enjoyed watching that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.