Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

There's a black dog on my shoulder again

Wikiposts

There's a black dog on my shoulder again

Old Jun 26th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's a black dog on my shoulder again

I'm amazed at how many of you who say you suffer from depression resort to alcohol. Alcohol is a depressive. If you really want to control the black dog you must not use alcohol.
I used to drink my fair share but since succumbing to depression I have gradually become almost teetotal. I love the taste of wine but apart from the occasional small glass with a meal it just isn't worth it. Depressive episodes are much, much worse than the enforced restriction of alcohol.
I've always been completely honest about my depression and never had any repercussions, and definitely no problems when emigrating.
The only advantage of having depression that I ever heard about was that it makes you ineligible for jury service in England. Mental illness disqualifies you.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 10:23 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Just googled. So London, Paris and Poland aren't up to much then?
Thats Christmas Island - I believe its nicer there than here. I am an Tarawa - its a beautiful atoll, and the people are nice, BUT they have an aid culture - 88% of the population work for the government, which is funded by aid money.

The money attracts people from the outlying islands, and now 50,000 people are crowded onto 21 Sq miles. The Tarawa population doubled between 1995 and 2000....

Most live in Aboriginal style humpies, the island is littered with rubbish and junk. Every street is full of scrap cars, old trucks, and piles of plastic waste. Mountains of it.

The lagoon is so polluted that most people end up being poisoned by their own shit. They crap in the still waters of the lagoon, bathe among the turds, and eat the shellfish from it. There are a lot of beggars and drunks. Alcoholism is a HUGE problem. Shiploads of VB arrive every week.

Really its no different to an aboriginal settlement in Oz. And it can only get worse.....

Cut the aid off, stop them from importing, make them go back to their islands and go back to a fishing culture. do it whilst they still remember the lifestyle.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Jun 26th 2011 at 11:11 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:42 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Thats Christmas Island - I believe its nicer there than here. I am an Tarawa - its a beautiful atoll, and the people are nice, BUT they have an aid culture - 88% of the population work for the government, which is funded by aid money.

The money attracts people from the outlying islands, and now 50,000 people are crowded onto 21 Sq miles. The Tarawa population doubled between 1995 and 2000....

Most live in Aboriginal style humpies, the island is littered with rubbish and junk. Every street is full of scrap cars, old trucks, and piles of plastic waste. Mountains of it.

The lagoon is so polluted that most people end up being poisoned by their own shit. They crap in the still waters of the lagoon, bathe among the turds, and eat the shellfish from it. There are a lot of beggars and drunks. Alcoholism is a HUGE problem. Shiploads of VB arrive every week.

Really its no different to an aboriginal settlement in Oz. And it can only get worse.....

Cut the aid off, stop them from importing, make them go back to their islands and go back to a fishing culture. do it whilst they still remember the lifestyle.
Sounds like Scotland to me or anywhere else in the UK where the public sector employs more than the private sector
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
thanks again for the interesting responses. I agree with those who've said that many (if not most) of us suffer depression, or at least depressive symptoms at some point in our adult lives. I can only see that trend getting worse.
The other thing is that a lot of you actually have stuff to be depressed about, ie significantly stressful things like illness or a relative being ill etc.

For me it is pretty much all about being dislocated from my home environment. I know that for sure because the last 2 times I was depressed were when I was living in Australia, and that when I went back home it was like a massive weight had been lifted off my shoulders...

I've also seen a psychologist here, and he was great. In fact I felt like I was doing a bit of a stand up routine (whilst sitting down) with my withering contempt for Geelong and life in Australia..I got the impression he kind of agreed! I'll always love him for that.
Best cure for situational depression is to remove yourself from the situation, otherwise you are banging your head against a brick wall and all the tips and tricks from the trick cyclists are just bandaids to stop you slitting your wrists.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:49 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
Best cure for situational depression is to remove yourself from the situation, otherwise you are banging your head against a brick wall and all the tips and tricks from the trick cyclists are just bandaids to stop you slitting your wrists.
Good advice quoll, would you follow it yourself?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:35 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes toe the pro line or we'll ban you. I like it here because you can say what you like without the mafia getting together behind your back.

Originally Posted by Agent Bauer
Afternoon Chris. Best way of alleviating Depression for the Oz-sceptical amongst us? - to walk away from forums which seek to silence us. Good to see you on B.E. mate.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:36 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice indeed and we are doing just that

Originally Posted by quoll
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:40 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes toe the pro line or we'll ban you. I like it here because you can say what you like without the mafia getting together behind your back.
AND, there are less racists, people can generally spell and formulate a sentence, no one bangs on about Florida or thinks sausages are hysterical...Nice to see you again Chris!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
AND, there are less racists, people can generally spell and formulate a sentence, no one bangs on about Florida or thinks sausages are hysterical...Nice to see you again Chris!
Please don't lets go down this road again guys .....all forums have their own rules, but if you want to discuss them can you do it by pm please
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:49 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Please don't lets go down this road again guys .....all forums have their own rules, but if you want to discuss them can you do it by pm please
Sorry miss.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:07 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Sorry miss.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:08 am

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

can I say sorry too? I feel a bit left out
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:24 am
Home and Happy

can I say sorry too? I feel a bit left out
and a pat for your little black dog......better now?

....and its nice to have your mates on BE too by the way
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:26 am

and a pat for your little black dog......better now?

....and its nice to have your mates on BE too by the way
oh thanks miss. my black dog just rolled onto his back and weed on himself with pleasure..he's a funny fellow
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:30 am
Home and Happy

oh thanks miss. my black dog just rolled onto his back and weed on himself with pleasure..he's a funny fellow
Bit like mine! i've had to shut him in his kennel for a couple of days in an attempt not to listen to him

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.