Wikiposts

Testing times

Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:53 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Testing times

We moved to Melbourne last June - not a difficult decision to come as we always thought a change is as good as a rest. However, one of the things we did consider was my FIL and MIL who, whilst young at heart, are 74 and 70. They urged us to come and so here we are. They were booked to come out at the end of March but just before Christmas they admitted to us that FIL was not feeling too well and was awaiting test results - they then said that these were fine no problem with his prostate.

Anyway to cut a long story short - things are not ok and he had surgery for bladder cancer 3 weeks ago which did not come turn out as expected. The trip has got to be cancelled and he is starting a type of chemotherapy on the 1st March. Whilst they appear very upbeat and say everything is ok I feel that we should go back to see them, even just for a week to give them a hug and let them know that we love them etc etc. We will probably book our tickets for the end of March.

This is probably something all of us who have emigrated will have to face but never for one minute did we think it would be this soon after arrival.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Testing times

Originally Posted by Vanessa
We moved to Melbourne last June - not a difficult decision to come as we always thought a change is as good as a rest. However, one of the things we did consider was my FIL and MIL who, whilst young at heart, are 74 and 70. They urged us to come and so here we are. They were booked to come out at the end of March but just before Christmas they admitted to us that FIL was not feeling too well and was awaiting test results - they then said that these were fine no problem with his prostate.

Anyway to cut a long story short - things are not ok and he had surgery for bladder cancer 3 weeks ago which did not come turn out as expected. The trip has got to be cancelled and he is starting a type of chemotherapy on the 1st March. Whilst they appear very upbeat and say everything is ok I feel that we should go back to see them, even just for a week to give them a hug and let them know that we love them etc etc. We will probably book our tickets for the end of March.

This is probably something all of us who have emigrated will have to face but never for one minute did we think it would be this soon after arrival.

I think if you have the finances to get back then do it.

There is nothing worse than that feeling of distance to stop you being with a terminally ill or sick loved one.

As you say, we all know death is a part of the course, but you never think or at least, hope you wont have to deal with it for a long time.

When you do go back, always remember you can never love someone too much and never tell them that enough either.

Good luck
Old Feb 5th 2006, 12:04 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I think if you have the finances to get back then do it.

There is nothing worse than that feeling of distance to stop you being with a terminally ill or sick loved one.

As you say, we all know death is a part of the course, but you never think or at least, hope you wont have to deal with it for a long time.

When you do go back, always remember you can never love someone too much and never tell them that enough either.

Good luck
Between my hubbie and I we have lost a number of people close to us incuding my parents, his first wife and his sister when she was only 7 but it doesn't make it any easier.

We will go back, even if it is only for a week - hopefully things will work out ok and we will then see them here at the end of the year.

I agree that you can never tell someone that you love them too much.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hope it all goes well for you vanessa..........take good care
Old Feb 5th 2006, 9:13 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa

So sorry to hear about your FIL, as you have the means you should definitely visit him.

My mum is in hospital at the moment with a broken hip(although nowhere near as serious) and we do feel far away.

I Hope he gets well soon.