Tesco

Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tesco

If Tesco goes bust, I'm not moving to the UK. So there.

Tesco scraps profit outlook as accounting black hole deepens | Reuters
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 1:10 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Tesco

They have deliberately over-saturated for the purpose of gaining market share, and now their stores are cannibalising each other.

This is not an immediate problem because Tesco is big enough to sit tight and absorb some attrition while their competitors' stores are forced out of business.

When they're satisfied that their lead is acceptable they'll close the stores with the biggest losses to rebalance their books.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tesco

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
They have deliberately over-saturated for the purpose of gaining market share, and now their stores are cannibalising each other.

This is not an immediate problem because Tesco is big enough to sit tight and absorb some attrition while their competitors' stores are forced out of business.

When they're satisfied that their lead is acceptable they'll close the stores with the biggest losses to rebalance their books.
Badly managed for a long time after being the darling of the Stock Exchange. Disastrous expansion into Asia and North America; took their eye off the ball in the UK.

Aldi and Lidl have been giving a large sector of the population what they want and they've increased their UK combined market share from well under 5% to over 9% in a short space of time and this is predicted to rise to 15% and more within a few years - Tesco and Morrison's have been the main losers; Sainsbury's took note and introduced more 'basics' and competed on price but they've been struggling in the last year too.

Tesco have been more concerned with becoming a bank and financial services provider, an internet provider ..... etc and forgotten about their supermarkets. For a long time they have masking their poor sales performance by rapidly opening more supermarkets and convenience stores.

And now to heap more misery on their poor performance they have been grossly inflating their profit figures and then the extent of the exaggeration has been increased a 2nd time.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Never shop at Tescos, don't like their ethics! Try Asda or Morrisons, much nicer and great produce, and cheaper x
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 11:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

They won't go bust but might end up being owned by someone else - with new management

It's only a supermarket. There's plenty of other choise
Old Oct 24th 2014, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

When I I lived in the UK, I liked shopping at Tesco, very pleasant experience with nice stores and good product range. Couldn't be bothered with all that self righteous stuff about then being unethical, I am sure they are no different to any other big player.

Anyways went back this year, back to the same store I always used and what a deterioration in four years. Store looked scruffy, shelves weren't full and as for the wine selection, well, I shuddered. It was very apparent to me that they have not been looking after their supermarket business and I was not at all surprised to hear of their woes six months later.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 10:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Even the word 'Tescos' makes me shudder.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 10:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They won't go bust but might end up being owned by someone else - with new management

It's only a supermarket. There's plenty of other choise
Nope. Not going back. Stamping my feet.

I wasn't being serious, Zulu! When I'm being serious, I don't end my posts with 'so there' I do enjoy shopping there when I'm in the UK though, just as I do in Asda, Marks and Sparks, Saisbury etc. It's the huge choice and cheap prices compared with Perth that get me wide-eyed!
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You are not alone
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daisytreadlight
Never shop at Tescos, don't like their ethics!
I wonder if Coles have imported ex Tesco management people. Their practices leave a lot to be desired nowadays.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Tesco got it wrong when they started to blatantly rip off their customers doing things like pushing up prices for a week or two by 10% then giving a 5% discount. Prior to living in Australia I used to rely on their home delivery service which was excellent however when I moved back to the UK I found that you would order a weeks worth of food and all of it would be past it's best before within 2 days and the quality picked was always poor. I gave up on them and couldn't be persuaded to go back. I'm firmly in the Aldi and Lidl camp for both quality and price which are both excellent. Many other people are finding the same as well.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I wonder if Coles have imported ex Tesco management people. Their practices leave a lot to be desired nowadays.
If you got the Tesco management other than current/recent few years you'd be fine to be honest. They've only lost it recently. We've got a big Tesco in our town but we only go there occasionally; preferring to do our shopping in towns 20 miles away which have M &S, Aldi, Lidl and Sainsbury's. Alas we don't have Waitrose's, Edinburgh/Glasgow being the nearest.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
It's funny you should mention that Bix, when our relocation chap came to give us a quote to ship our furniture he asked us what our occupations were and said "Let me guess, you work for Tesco? We said no, we don't work for a supermarket what makes you say that? He said a big percentage of people who are now relocating to Australia are supermarket mangers or the like, mainly from Tesco and Sainsburys, but also some from Aldi and others.

Apparently according to this guy, Australia are lapping up all the main supermarket mangers,team leaders from the UK. The managers are being offered absolutely ludicrous relocation packages that they are unable to refuse. Thus leaving the UK supermarkets, i.e. Tescos without or with very little experienced staff in managerial positions.

This also ties in with what was said to me by a very bitter and angry Aussie ( understandably).
The day our furniture arrived one of the Aussie guys who was unloading our container said to me ' So have you come to work for Coles?" I said, "no, why?" He said most Brits come here to work for Coles now. I said, oh right.
He then went on a very unprofessional angry rant, which was quite awkward.
To cut it short he said his mates dad had worked for Coles for 30 years but a bloke had been brought in from the UK to replace him which he didn't even know was happening, following that, the bloke from the UK was offered double the salary the Aussie was on for doing the same job. Which in my eyes isn't right at all, and not exactly great for the Pom-Aussie relations.
I told the Aussie guy I thought it was out of order and that I didn't agree with it at all, he then calmed down a bit. Thankfully.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 6:14 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

The unnecessary pluralisation, or something more sinister?

S
Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
The unnecessary pluralisation, or something more sinister?

S
If there was only one I possibly wouldn't shudder so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.