British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Tenants have changed the locks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/tenants-have-changed-locks-611434/)

Molko1974 May 27th 2009 1:45 am

Tenants have changed the locks

Not only are our tenants not paying their rent after telling the estate agent they lost their jobs (the estate agent called their employers to find out they are still working), they have changed the locks on our house. They haven't been answering the phone and haven't returned any calls so the estate agent posted a letter to say they were gaining access. All curtains were drawn and the agent couldn't get in. The agent has now left a note giving them 48 hours notice that they will be changing the locks and to see them to get a key and pay their rent.

Our house is sold and they are supposed to be moving out on the 6th but now I'm wondering if they will.

Broad Shoulders May 27th 2009 1:59 am

Re: Tenants have changed the locks

Originally Posted by Molko1974 (Post 7607401)
Not only are our tenants not paying their rent after telling the estate agent they lost their jobs (the estate agent called their employers to find out they are still working), they have changed the locks on our house. They haven't been answering the phone and haven't returned any calls so the estate agent posted a letter to say they were gaining access. All curtains were drawn and the agent couldn't get in. The agent has now left a note giving them 48 hours notice that they will be changing the locks and to see them to get a key and pay their rent.

Our house is sold and they are supposed to be moving out on the 6th but now I'm wondering if they will.

this happened to some old neighbours of ours who were quite a pain. They had been sent countless eviction notices by the real estate agents, who I happened to know through work. I asked them how they would get rid of them as they changed the locks and they had no way of getting in. She told me "we have aour ways" tapping the side of her nose. I found out later they told the police that they believed they were dealing drugs from their house, so the coppers raided them and the real estate agent tagged along to kick them out at the same time

DunRoaminTheUK May 27th 2009 2:01 am

Some people are such bastards. Job or no job they need to face up to their own responsibilities.

renth May 27th 2009 2:13 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 7607432)
Some people are such bastards. Job or no job they need to face up to their own responsibilities.

True, when I rented my house out in the UK I had some crazy witch (literally) who stopped paying her rent and then placed a curse on me when we had her evicted.

I will never be a landlord ever again, too much hassle.

Broad Shoulders May 27th 2009 2:17 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 7607463)

I will never be a landlord ever again.

is that the effect of the curse?

renth May 27th 2009 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 7607475)
is that the effect of the curse?

Well if it is then it's a good curse.

Molko1974 May 27th 2009 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 7607426)
this happened to some old neighbours of ours who were quite a pain. They had been sent countless eviction notices by the real estate agents, who I happened to know through work. I asked them how they would get rid of them as they changed the locks and they had no way of getting in. She told me "we have aour ways" tapping the side of her nose. I found out later they told the police that they believed they were dealing drugs from their house, so the coppers raided them and the real estate agent tagged along to kick them out at the same time

I'm glad the agent is taking action but why be so difficult. And if they have found somewhere else to live then I'm wondering about references.

SamSi May 27th 2009 2:36 am

God what a nightmare. I'm sure you know this already but make sure that your Agent has served the tenants with the correct notices (first is the notice Intending to Seek Possession which depending on grounds you base the Notice on you will have needed to give the tenants 2 weeks or 2 months notice to vacate) and then the Agent can apply for the Possession Order from the Court which will give the tenants 2 weeks to vacate unless they appeal against it. Best of luck with it all,

DunRoaminTheUK May 27th 2009 2:42 am

Personally, I would spend all my time, money and effort importing a Komodo Dragon and simply allowing it roam around the garden and also taking the time to install a "Komodo-Flap" in the front door.....

scottishcelts May 27th 2009 3:01 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 7607533)
Personally, I would spend all my time, money and effort importing a Komodo Dragon and simply allowing it roam around the garden and also taking the time to install a "Komodo-Flap" in the front door.....

haha,

Or you could always rely on the old faithful and get the boys round ;)

Luke I Amyofath May 27th 2009 4:54 am

Call your electricity supplier and tell them you want the line disconnected as you are putting a new board in and doing some renovation work, just dont give them a date for reconnection.
Turn the main water supply off and get a plumber to remove the tap.

DunRoaminTheUK May 27th 2009 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath (Post 7607720)
Call your electricity supplier and tell them you want the line disconnected as you are putting a new board in and doing some renovation work, just dont give them a date for reconnection.

..Then release the Komodo into the general populous?

kporte May 27th 2009 5:01 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 7607569)
haha,

Or you could always rely on the old faithful and get the boys round ;)

Move a weegie family in next door, they will leave in a few days.

Molko1974 May 27th 2009 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath (Post 7607720)

I don't pay for the utility bills, it's all down to them.

Luke I Amyofath May 27th 2009 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Molko1974 (Post 7607729)
I don't pay for the utility bills, it's all down to them.

Yes, but it's your property