British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Telstra TV or Fetch TV ... any good? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/telstra-tv-fetch-tv-any-good-915480/)

Lucas_Dad Jul 29th 2018 9:56 pm

Telstra TV or Fetch TV ... any good?

I'm looking at nbn packages right now. I keep flitting between nbn only, and a TV-bundle package. I can go nbn-only, then add Fetch (or Foxtel) later, but the decent Fetch TV box is $300... So for an extra $20 I'm back to considering Tel$tra whose nbn+Telstra TV package is (like other ISPs) only $20-$30 more than any ISP's nbn-only package.

But is it worth it? I don't have Netflix, Stan, etc. (and not bothered at the moment). I do have a laptop connected to the TV, but it would be good to have an easier way of accessing catch-up TV, being able to do timer and manual recordings (e.g. we have a cheap recorder box for things like recording just the Masterchef masterclasses) - I know taping stuff is a bit old hat but we find it handy still.

Have considered Foxtel Now + Foxtel Now box (handy that Foxtel now is an Android box, has Chromecase & Airplay), but by the time you add up the cost of the channels & the IQ3 box, I may as well go the $129/month Tesltra pack.

Sorry a lot of this is thinking out loud. A simple decision is feeling too complicated!! I'm happy I know enough about Foxtel to consider/discount it, but what about those Fetch & Telstra TV boxes?

Cheers

Amazulu Jul 30th 2018 12:52 am

Re: Telstra TV or Fetch TV ... any good?

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad (Post 12540535)
I'm looking at nbn packages right now. I keep flitting between nbn only, and a TV-bundle package. I can go nbn-only, then add Fetch (or Foxtel) later, but the decent Fetch TV box is $300... So for an extra $20 I'm back to considering Tel$tra whose nbn+Telstra TV package is (like other ISPs) only $20-$30 more than any ISP's nbn-only package.

But is it worth it? I don't have Netflix, Stan, etc. (and not bothered at the moment). I do have a laptop connected to the TV, but it would be good to have an easier way of accessing catch-up TV, being able to do timer and manual recordings (e.g. we have a cheap recorder box for things like recording just the Masterchef masterclasses) - I know taping stuff is a bit old hat but we find it handy still.

Have considered Foxtel Now + Foxtel Now box (handy that Foxtel now is an Android box, has Chromecase & Airplay), but by the time you add up the cost of the channels & the IQ3 box, I may as well go the $129/month Tesltra pack.

Sorry a lot of this is thinking out loud. A simple decision is feeling too complicated!! I'm happy I know enough about Foxtel to consider/discount it, but what about those Fetch & Telstra TV boxes?

Cheers

Xiaomi Mi Box - about $90 on Gearbest or Banggood

The best media box for the money - 4k capable and Netflix ready

Beoz Aug 1st 2018 10:07 am

I have Foxtel. Complete waste of money for me however the wife loves watching British soaps which are banned in the house when I am present so she records and watches when I am on the golf course.

From time to time I switch on and off sporting events and every now and again I phone up to cancel the thing and Foxtel give me 3 months free to keep me (the wife) on the hook.

ozzieeagle Aug 2nd 2018 1:10 pm

Chromecast could be an alternative, especially for the streaming TV services.