Wikiposts

Telling MIL

Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

denise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nice
Default Telling MIL

Long story cut short as possible!

We decided last January to apply for visa for Australia, my parents already live there but I can assure you that apart from giving us free holidays they had nothing to do with our decision. We're not going to be living anywhere near them.

We are now coming (hopefully) to the end of our visa application, meds done, bond lodged, etc and MIL still doesn't know. FIL does but has asked us not to tell her until weather gets warmer and she gets over SAD. Problem is that we are hoping to be off in July by the time the weather gets warmer she is only going to have about 2 months to get used to it.

Then, there's how! Hubby thinks he needs to drive all the way to their house to tell her face to face. I don't understand this, I told everybody over the phone. He hasn't got a clue what to say to her anyway and at least over the phone she can't throw anything.

Any advice anyone?

Denise
xxx
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telling MIL

Originally Posted by denise6372

We decided last January to apply for visa for Australia, my parents already live there but I can assure you that apart from giving us free holidays they had nothing to do with our decision. We're not going to be living anywhere near them.

We are now coming (hopefully) to the end of our visa application, meds done, bond lodged, etc and MIL still doesn't know. FIL does but has asked us not to tell her until weather gets warmer and she gets over SAD. Problem is that we are hoping to be off in July by the time the weather gets warmer she is only going to have about 2 months to get used to it.

Then, there's how! Hubby thinks he needs to drive all the way to their house to tell her face to face. I don't understand this, I told everybody over the phone. He hasn't got a clue what to say to her anyway and at least over the phone she can't throw anything.

Any advice anyone?

Denise
xxx
The only advice I can give you is , let your husband tell your MIL face to face, yes she will be terribly upset, but I don't think something like this can be said in a phone call.
Good luck (are you going to stay at home? !!!! at a safe distance!!!!)
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Any advice anyone?

Denise
xxx

If she is that scary..................land in Oz and send a post card!!!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

denise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nice

Originally Posted by curly
The only advice I can give you is , let your husband tell your MIL face to face, yes she will be terribly upset, but I don't think something like this can be said in a phone call.
Good luck (are you going to stay at home? !!!! at a safe distance!!!!)
Absolutely right, he's going to Cornwall to tell them and I'm staying here, keeping very, very quiet.

Denise
x
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
If she is that scary..................land in Oz and send a post card!!!
I thought about that too, but decided it wasn't fair. The sad thing is that she is actually quite a nice woman, heart is in the right place just goes about things the wrong way and loves to be the centre of attention. Plus the depression card gets banded around everytime things aren't going her way.

When we moved from Cornwall to Gloucester, she made a big hoo ha but decided that at least it wasn't Australia!!!!!! That was only 3 years ago.

Denise
x
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

thepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nice

I thought about that too, but decided it wasn't fair. The sad thing is that she is actually quite a nice woman, heart is in the right place just goes about things the wrong way and loves to be the centre of attention. Plus the depression card gets banded around everytime things aren't going her way.

When we moved from Cornwall to Gloucester, she made a big hoo ha but decided that at least it wasn't Australia!!!!!! That was only 3 years ago.

Denise
x
Hi,

We didnt quite know how to tell OH parents either and when we did go round to tell them they already knew cause our then 5 year old had heard us talking about it and had told them. Its been 12 months now since we told them and they still dont like to talk about it. We had to tell OH grandparents last week cause we hadnt told them but we got FIL to have a word first to get them over the shock but as it turned out they are very excited for us just wish it would rub off on OH parents. The other thing is that I am the australian and I felt I was getting the blame for us moving to oz until I had the chance yesterday to clear the air and tell them that it wasnt me that made the decision it was up to OH to make the decision on whether he could leave his family or not and he has made that decision now and he has visa and house up for sale. So I dont think how you go about it they will either see that you are making a great decision for your family or they wont. Just keep your fingers crossed that the reaction wont be too bad.

Good luck with it hope it goes well.

Tracey x
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:20 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice anyone?
Denise,

do it face-to-face. We had a similar problem with my MIL. We did it face-to-face with other family around (BIL plus wife, SIL). Having other people around helped as they were all positive. But even without them, we would have still done it face-to-face.

MIL then stipulated that it wasn't to be mentioned again as she didn't want to have to think about it. We decided that this was a bad idea - she *has* to get used to the idea; pretending it ain't gonna happen is not a good idea. So, whilst we don't "shove it in her face" in every telephone conversation, we try to bring it up naturally in the conversation.

Good luck!!!

Gina
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Denise
x

Jeez Denise, I think we are related!! That sounds just like my Mother. She has a Phd in "doing the guilt trip". I think she actually wrote a book on it called, Guilt - or how to get your own way without trying!

Besy of luck!!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
Jeez Denise, I think we are related!! That sounds just like my Mother. She has a Phd in "doing the guilt trip". I think she actually wrote a book on it called, Guilt - or how to get your own way without trying!

Besy of luck!!
My MIL was jsut the same in fact if you search for threads stared by me you can read all about it! She was a nightmare and has only jsut started to improve... Good luck, i say face to face but let your hubby do all the talking as it is his family. That way they wont be able to say "she has made him do it"
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Denise,

do it face-to-face. We had a similar problem with my MIL. We did it face-to-face with other family around (BIL plus wife, SIL). Having other people around helped as they were all positive. But even without them, we would have still done it face-to-face.

MIL then stipulated that it wasn't to be mentioned again as she didn't want to have to think about it. We decided that this was a bad idea - she *has* to get used to the idea; pretending it ain't gonna happen is not a good idea. So, whilst we don't "shove it in her face" in every telephone conversation, we try to bring it up naturally in the conversation.

Good luck!!!

Gina
That sounds like a parrot version of my story! She is just like that, won't talk about it because it doesn't suit her and what she wants. Will let you all know how he gets on.

Denise
x
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
My MIL was jsut the same in fact if you search for threads stared by me you can read all about it! She was a nightmare and has only jsut started to improve... Good luck, i say face to face but let your hubby do all the talking as it is his family. That way they wont be able to say "she has made him do it"
Well everybody.

News it, its done. He went to Cornwall on his own, and told them on their own. She is not talking to him and is refusing to eat! But its done, and its their choice if they don't want to know all the details. She won't listen to any of our reasons and basically doesn't want to talk bout it at all. As Gina said, if we don't talk about it, it won't happen - yeah right.

His dad is asking sensible questions about dog, etc which is good. So she has to listen to it.

I better get that visa now, if we get turned down for any reason she will laugh her socks off

Denise
x
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Well everybody.

News it, its done. He went to Cornwall on his own, and told them on their own. She is not talking to him and is refusing to eat! But its done, and its their choice if they don't want to know all the details. She won't listen to any of our reasons and basically doesn't want to talk bout it at all. As Gina said, if we don't talk about it, it won't happen - yeah right.

His dad is asking sensible questions about dog, etc which is good. So she has to listen to it.

I better get that visa now, if we get turned down for any reason she will laugh her socks off

Denise
x
Good luck with your visa quest. Don't worry about the MIL she'll get over it and if she doesn't you won't have to see her - you'll be worlds apart, well half a world anyway
Mx
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:43 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

:
Then, there's how! Hubby thinks he needs to drive all the way to their house to tell her face to face. I don't understand this,
Any advice anyone?

Denise
xxx
What a nice guy

It means a lot more being told face to face - its a higher level of interpersonal communication. By telephone is process orientated and suitable for practical reasons only - be it great distance or alot of calls locally.

With the distance coming up she needs to be reassured of their bond and this is best done face to face followed by a big hug.

Old Feb 4th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thebears
What a nice guy

It means a lot more being told face to face - its a higher level of interpersonal communication. By telephone is process orientated and suitable for practical reasons only - be it great distance or alot of calls locally.

With the distance coming up she needs to be reassured of their bond and this is best done face to face followed by a big hug.

Good point. Thanks for putting karma on the situation, its easy to moan about the MIL when quite rightly she has the right to be upset.

xx
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Well everybody.

News it, its done. He went to Cornwall on his own, and told them on their own. She is not talking to him and is refusing to eat! But its done, and its their choice if they don't want to know all the details. She won't listen to any of our reasons and basically doesn't want to talk bout it at all.
Well done for getting it over with - I bet it is a relief, even if she is acting like a child. Don't suppose she's menopausal is she? I swear my MIL (although I'm not married, but long-term-boyf's mum) has some serious hormonal issues. That or she is just devious and manipulative.... Either way, we'll be on opposite sides of the world soon! Certainly think it is best to let your OH handle it and stay out of the way as much as possible. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.