Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Technology Thread & What's your favourite new electronico gadget & why?

The Technology Thread & What's your favourite new electronico gadget & why?

Old Jul 18th 2014, 8:14 am
Just Joined

JaswinderSingh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: The Technology Thread & What's your favourite new electronic/electric gadget & why?

Mine is Google Nexus 7. I like it much of it's lite weight and sleek.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 8:25 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: The Technology Thread & What's your favourite new electronic/electric gadget & why?

I use the iPad and iPod Touch every day. They do "just work".

I like my recently acquired Moto G too though. The Android flexibility rocks, portable hotspot+iThings = Happy Techie.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Mine is a Samsung Smart TV.

Because it is smarter then the old TV, which wasn't smart.
We're just thinking about getting one. Pros/cons for Samsung? Which model? Any comments about LG? Sony?

My current favorite is my Bamix stick mixer. Soups in minutes (on an induction cooktop). I mostly use it for cakes but my mushroom soup is yummy
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:24 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Tell you what, I reckon he best appliance I've ever bought is our induction cooktop and dual oven. It's so precise that I reckon you could sous vide with it and a temperature gauge.

You do need an induction cooktop, not only are they safer, they are cheap to run, very precise and easy to clean.

I will never be without one again. IE: If I moved to a house that didnt have one it would be the first thing I would change.

Oh and edit, faster than gas to boil and able to maintain a lower temperature, for Melting chocolate etc than gas.
When I get to have me 'dream kitchen' I am aiming for domino cooktops. 2 inductions and a gas (probably a wok burner) or one of these Wok burner If I was going for all gas, I would love one of these

I'm a bit of a kitchen appliance geek
Old Jul 18th 2014, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just got the new blackberry, it is a quality bit of kit, being my first smart phone I can't make comparisons but it's piss easy to get used to, the work and personal modes are great. Get reception where alot of phones lose it too
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
We're just thinking about getting one. Pros/cons for Samsung? Which model? Any comments about LG? Sony?

My current favorite is my Bamix stick mixer. Soups in minutes (on an induction cooktop). I mostly use it for cakes but my mushroom soup is yummy
Mine is the UA4F6400. It was on special at JB as the newer models were coming out.

I just read some reviews on it and it looked good, so I got it.

The smart remote also controls other devices that aren't Samsung e.g. my LG Blu Ray player. So all good.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
When I get to have me 'dream kitchen' I am aiming for domino cooktops. 2 inductions and a gas (probably a wok burner) or one of these Wok burner If I was going for all gas, I would love one of these http://www.hoover.co.uk/large-applia...oom/HF_7_1.jpg

Because my supposedly far better than average Qasair range hood doesn't clear 100 pct of the fumes from wok cooking, I've decided that wok cooking is probably best left to the burner attached to the bbq outside.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rasen78
When I get to have me 'dream kitchen' I am aiming for domino cooktops. 2 inductions and a gas (probably a wok burner) or one of these Wok burner If I was going for all gas, I would love one of these http://www.hoover.co.uk/large-applia...oom/HF_7_1.jpg

Check out the highland cooktops, they do gas and induction combined with a 22mJ wok burner (or 2 if you go for all gas). Unfortunately we have to smaller kitchen for the big highland and have copper pans so induction is out.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My new sous vide cooker

What a revelation
We got ours a couple of months ago and still use it most days. Perfectly cooked steaks, beautifully moist chicken breast and ribs to die for with no risk of over cooking because you took you eye off it for a minutes or 10.

Last weeks roast was 24 hour silverside, tender, with all fat nicely melted, and medium rare all the way through.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I've just got the new blackberry, it is a quality bit of kit, being my first smart phone I can't make comparisons but it's piss easy to get used to, the work and personal modes are great. Get reception where alot of phones lose it too
Wow. Didn't they go broke?
Old Jul 19th 2014, 7:19 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

my headphones at the moment (yes i know am easily pleased lol) been using those stick in your ear types for literally years and just upgraded to some massive dj style headphones... i think alittle blood came out of my ear !
Old Jul 19th 2014, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is the UA4F6400. It was on special at JB as the newer models were coming out.

I just read some reviews on it and it looked good, so I got it.

The smart remote also controls other devices that aren't Samsung e.g. my LG Blu Ray player. So all good.
Thank you
Old Jul 19th 2014, 10:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Tell you what, I reckon he best appliance I've ever bought is our induction cooktop and dual oven. It's so precise that I reckon you could sous vide with it and a temperature gauge.

You do need an induction cooktop, not only are they safer, they are cheap to run, very precise and easy to clean.

I will never be without one again. IE: If I moved to a house that didnt have one it would be the first thing I would change.

Oh and edit, faster than gas to boil and able to maintain a lower temperature, for Melting chocolate etc than gas.
We currently do not use our standard electic oven top, instead we have a couple od separate induction hobs, and a combi microwave, airfryer oven with a separate aircook/rotisserie oven. All use much less power than a conventional hob/oven, and cook quicker. We do use the conventional oven to bake bread as we are usually baking a loaf and bread rolls at the same time.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Kindle Paperwhite version 2. There is sure to be another out in a couple of months but currently this is the best ereader available.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:00 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is a Samsung Smart TV.

Because it is smarter then the old TV, which wasn't smart.
Oh I love, love, love my Samsung Smart TV.

Even if Middlechild does insist on sending programmes to the telly while I'm watching Antiques Roadtrip

I also love (in no particular order)

my kindle (although I still appear to be buying just as many paper books too) (and it isn't new, it's about 4 years old)
my quick/slow cooker thingy (this is, however, about 3 years old)
my new Samsung S4 (yes, I could have got the S5 but I would have had to pay extra and I don't actually get a phone signal here) especially as virginmobile sent me a case of wine for free, just for getting it.
My vivofit activity tracker. That red bar of death certainly helps me get my steps in for the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.