Wikiposts

Technical help

Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:07 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technical help

Originally Posted by biggy
Fraser have you tried updating your windows?
Mate I've tried everything bar wiping my knob on the screen
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:11 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
try it lol if anything u mite get a cheap thrill lol
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

And that might be the solution to your problem! Well, you never know......
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:14 am

youve prolly tried this but here goes nuffin

This is a small quirk I have seen in Windows XP (several) times now: inability to drag and drop files (or icons) in the Windows XP user interface (Windows Explorer or the desktop. What causes it? Sometimes has to do with installation of new hardware (particularly mice), sometimes may follow installation of new registry editing software, sometimes the cause is unknown.

Here's a good solution that has worked for me every time now:

Create a backup of your registry!
Copy the text fin bold (below) into an instance of notepad (or another pure text editor).
Save the text as "dragdropfix.reg"
Double click on the file in Windows to merge it with the registry.
The drag-drop issue should be repaired.
CODE

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00:-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0000010e-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="IDataObject"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0000010e-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\NumMethods]
@="12"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0000010e-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32]
@="{00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="oleprx32_PSFactoryBuffer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\InprocServer32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ole32.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Both"
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:19 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

youve prolly tried this but here goes nuffin

This is a small quirk I have seen in Windows XP (several) times now: inability to drag and drop files (or icons) in the Windows XP user interface (Windows Explorer or the desktop. What causes it? Sometimes has to do with installation of new hardware (particularly mice), sometimes may follow installation of new registry editing software, sometimes the cause is unknown.

Here's a good solution that has worked for me every time now:

Create a backup of your registry!
Copy the text fin bold (below) into an instance of notepad (or another pure text editor).
Save the text as "dragdropfix.reg"
Double click on the file in Windows to merge it with the registry.
The drag-drop issue should be repaired.
CODE

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00:-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTInterface{0000010e-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="IDataObject"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTInterface{0000010e-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}NumMethods]
@="12"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTInterface{0000010e-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}ProxyStubClsid32]
@="{00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="oleprx32_PSFactoryBuffer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}InprocServer32]
@="C:WINDOWSsystem32ole32.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Both"

Only just tried that but when I double clicked on it it wouldn't allow it I got the mesmessagen not import to the regregistryd have to go in to regregistryitor and use binary code or some such

I've read all through that tech help and tried it all, I've even refreformattede drive ie a factory restore and still nada
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:36 am

Only just tried that but when I double clicked on it it wouldn't allow it I got the mesmessagen not import to the regregistryd have to go in to regregistryitor and use binary code or some such

I've read all through that tech help and tried it all, I've even refreformattede drive ie a factory restore and still nada

have u tried updating the mouse driver?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:37 am

have u tried reinstalling XP?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:43 am

have u tried reinstalling XP?
No I haven't but the factory restore will have done it.

I've also edited the registry manually and one of the folders was missing and I've put it back.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:49 am

No I haven't but the factory restore will have done it.

I've also edited the registry manually and one of the folders was missing and I've put it back.

**** it oot the windae
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:50 am

looks like u r gonna need to back everythin up and reformat
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried everything on that list and nothing, the only thing I haven't tried is a new mouse but it's a laptop and the touchpad doesn't move anything either even with the mouse unplugged

Thanks anyway Sean
Just wanted to clarify this Fraser. The problem exists whether you use the trackpad or the mouse - as in, you can't do drag any icons with either. Yes or no?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:54 am

looks like u r gonna need to back everythin up and reformat
I've done that already, still didn't work.

That's why I thought it was hardware but toshiba don't think so and will charge me accordingly if right.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:54 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Make sure none of your ALT, CTRL or SHIFT keys are stuck in. Give each one a tap and then try again.
I don't know why I read that as ALT CTRL and DEL...thought you were pulling a funny on Fraser....ROTFL!!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
Just wanted to clarify this Fraser. The problem exists whether you use the trackpad or the mouse - as in, you can't do drag any icons with either. Yes or no?
Yes correct mate
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Just a suggestion - search on www.microsoft.com and see if you can find a similar problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.