Wikiposts

Technical help

Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technical help

Originally Posted by Bob
hehe..aye, true...but gotta love those toughbooks...can even pee over the new ones, well sealed against water leaks...well maybe not pee on one as that's gross, but you can spill your coffee with confidence
Those the ones with channels underneath the keyboard to direct fluid away from the sensitive workings? First useful bit of computer design since the mouse.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Those the ones with channels underneath the keyboard to direct fluid away from the sensitive workings? First useful bit of computer design since the mouse.
Don't know, couldn't open the bugger that came in...well he didn't want it opened, just to remove dodgy spyware...contractor to a telco and didn't want them knowing about it probably
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:21 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What's the model? Had a couple where I volunteer that had duff pads...though they were old ones....but if you do want to get a laptop that could be chucked against a wall, get a toughbook

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/home.asp They rock, maybe you can't drive over one, but you can seriously hammer the shite out of one...feels great
It's a toshibe sattelite pro l10

Not sure I like the sound of that I like my stuff to smash when it hits a wall not fly back at me and knock me out

Not sure if it could be the keyboard as it's strange that the mouse stopped working at exactly the same time.

I do think it's a hardware problem rather than a software one as a fault would surely be showing.

I'll have to peak to them tomorrow as today is bank holiday
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser

Not sure if it could be the keyboard as it's strange that the mouse stopped working at exactly the same time.

I do think it's a hardware problem rather than a software one as a fault would surely be showing.

I'll have to peak to them tomorrow as today is bank holiday
could be, just some duff pins getting broken, though that usually is the case with Dell's...haven't played around with many toshiba's to know tbh.

okay, had a quick look, seems like it's hardware, duff touchpad, seems connections go on them, on a few of the toshiba models...if under warranty, you should be sorted..
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:53 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
could be, just some duff pins getting broken, though that usually is the case with Dell's...haven't played around with many toshiba's to know tbh.

okay, had a quick look, seems like it's hardware, duff touchpad, seems connections go on them, on a few of the toshiba models...if under warranty, you should be sorted..
Thanks mate
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:33 pm

Rachel has spoken to Toshiba who say they've never heard of it and must be a software problem.

So she phoned microsoft who have never heard of it and insist it's probably a hardware problem, but for $50 they'll get a top techy dude to phone me.

Toshibe are saying if we put it in and it isn't hardware they're going to charge $83 to access it plus any costs to fix it
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Toshibe are saying if we put it in and it isn't hardware they're going to charge $83 to access it plus any costs to fix it
It's a hardware issue, I'm pretty sure of it, those touchpads are a known for dying, do a google on them...but if they charge taht much, you could probably find a local place do it for less *l*
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a hardware issue, I'm pretty sure of it, those touchpads are a known for dying, do a google on them...but if they charge taht much, you could probably find a local place do it for less *l*
But the touchpad and the mouse both work, I can move a window around on the desktop, I just can't move any icons or drop them into the recycle bin etc.

I also can't move files within files for instance in my pictures I have loads of different folders and I can't drop and drag one out of a folder or in to a folder.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

But the touchpad and the mouse both work, I can move a window around on the desktop, I just can't move any icons or drop them into the recycle bin etc.

I also can't move files within files for instance in my pictures I have loads of different folders and I can't drop and drag one out of a folder or in to a folder.
If your able to back your puter up, it might just be easier to do a factory restore, or just install windows a fresh...depends how much stuff you've on the laptop though..
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Bob
If your able to back your puter up, it might just be easier to do a factory restore, or just install windows a fresh...depends how much stuff you've on the laptop though..
Already did a restore and it still does it, that's why I thought it was hardware.

Toshiba are saying it's a virus that's probably got into the hardware, but if I send it to them and it isn't I probaly wont be mortgage free any more
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Already did a restore and it still does it, that's why I thought it was hardware.

Toshiba are saying it's a virus that's probably got into the hardware, but if I send it to them and it isn't I probaly wont be mortgage free any more
does sound like hardware and if you've done a fresh restore that wipes the drive, shouldn't be any virus....
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
does sound like hardware and if you've done a fresh restore that wipes the drive, shouldn't be any virus....
Not according to toshiba
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:45 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fraser,
Might seem like a silly question, but have you checked the permission levels. I'm sure I read on one of your earlier posts that you could log on as administrator or yourself. Do you still get the problem if you log on as administrator?

Sass

Not according to toshiba
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sass73
Hi Fraser,
Might seem like a silly question, but have you checked the permission levels. I'm sure I read on one of your earlier posts that you could log on as administrator or yourself. Do you still get the problem if you log on as administrator?

Sass
Yeah I did say that, but that was before I used the recovery disc.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:56 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fraser,
It seems that your problem is fairly common. Try this

There are 3 reg keys relevant to this problems. Do a regedit and make sure that you have all 3, somehow the update deleted one of them on my computer.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Interface\{0000010E-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\NumMethods

SHOULD BE: unnamed Value of type REG_SZ which is set to 12.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Interface\{0000010E-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid

SHOULD BE: unnamed Value of type REG_SZ which is set to {0000030C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Interface\{0000010E-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32

SHOULD BE: unnamed Value of type REG_SZ which is set to {00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

Reboot and you should be good to go.

Here's the link to the website I found
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...=692319&page=1

If its not the registry keys, there are a few more ideas there on the webpage. See how you go with these.

Sass

Yeah I did say that, but that was before I used the recovery disc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.