Wikiposts

Technical help

Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:09 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technical help

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Is it just that your arms are tired from unloading all those containers
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:27 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I try to update my virus software AVG it says update file is damaged.

Shit may have to do a recovery :scared:
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
no I haven't tried it in safe mode, although when I did just try it it said it couldn't delete one and asked me to restart the computer so that it could run it on start up.

I only installed it in the last four months.
there are updates every few days or so, click the search for updates...

and err...then let it restart and do it in safe mode...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I try to update my virus software AVG it says update file is damaged.

Shit may have to do a recovery :scared:
ditch AVG and replace it with Avast, another free one, but better, it protects IM clients as well as P2P...errr....and less resource hog..
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Bob
ditch AVG and replace it with Avast, another free one, but better, it protects IM clients as well as P2P...errr....and less resource hog..
How do I do safe mode I just tried holding down f8 as I restarted but nothing happened.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

How do I do safe mode I just tried holding down f8 as I restarted but nothing happened.
well if the prog says it'll do a scan on restart, it should load up before windows fully loads, so almsot like safemode...but otherwise, yeah, press F8, and keep holding it, after the initial POST screen comes up with the ram test
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Bob
well if the prog says it'll do a scan on restart, it should load up before windows fully loads, so almsot like safemode...but otherwise, yeah, press F8, and keep holding it, after the initial POST screen comes up with the ram test
It did mate so that must be like safe mode as I thought.

I tried to go into safe mode f8 didn't work so I tried again and had two choices f2 for set up and f12 for booting options or some such I hit f2 and when I exited it I had an option for safe mode which I duly attempted and then it froze at the log in stage which asked me to log in either as Fraser or admin, I tried Fraser, should I have tried admin.....

oh and thanks mate

Oh and I didn't see any RAM test
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:23 am

Now windows firewall is trying to block stuff and It's not supposed to be on.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

It did mate so that must be like safe mode as I thought.

I tried to go into safe mode f8 didn't work so I tried again and had two choices f2 for set up and f12 for booting options or some such I hit f2 and when I exited it I had an option for safe mode which I duly attempted and then it froze at the log in stage which asked me to log in either as Fraser or admin, I tried Fraser, should I have tried admin.....

oh and thanks mate

Oh and I didn't see any RAM test
ram test, depends on your mobo...some do it, some don't...but basically after the cpu and ram size is listed, start hitting f8...the f2 is for bios options I thought, with dell's at least...

and you want to log in for each user and run the scans -spy/adware/virus on each user group you have, especially if your using winXP.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Bob
ram test, depends on your mobo...some do it, some don't...but basically after the cpu and ram size is listed, start hitting f8...the f2 is for bios options I thought, with dell's at least...

and you want to log in for each user and run the scans -spy/adware/virus on each user group you have, especially if your using winXP.
Mine is a Toshiba, surely if I have AVG windows firewall and virus protection shouldn't be running?
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:50 am

I keep trying to get into safe mode ad I get the log on screen and then nothing I can't log on or turn of the computer, looks like recovery time
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Mine is a Toshiba, surely if I have AVG windows firewall and virus protection shouldn't be running?
AVG would stop the windows virus thing, unless it was munted...as for firewall, unless you have firewall software, i'd just use the windows firewall that comes with service pack 2...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I keep trying to get into safe mode ad I get the log on screen and then nothing I can't log on or turn of the computer, looks like recovery time
ouch...if safe mode is munted, errr...windows recovery console could be your friend, though unless you've a slipstreamed copy of XP, will have to do all those fun updates again afterwards..
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:27 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure none of your ALT, CTRL or SHIFT keys are stuck in. Give each one a tap and then try again.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by wmoore
Make sure none of your ALT, CTRL or SHIFT keys are stuck in. Give each one a tap and then try again.
They're all fine mate, just been to coles and bought a load of cd-rw to back up all my stuff and then I'm going to use the recovery disc as it just isn't functioning right

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.