Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Taxpayers make private schools rich

Wikiposts

Taxpayers make private schools rich

Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Taxpayers make private schools rich

Originally Posted by spalen
You can take it off topic as much as you like,but fact is - paying for education is a sacrifice. Its money that could be spent on other things but some people make a choice that they prefer to spend it on schooling, others have boats, cars, holidays etc and some have nothing at all. Private schooling in this country is nowhere near as elitist as it is in the UK, at least judging by the jobs (and therefore 'class') of people that I see at our school. There are an awful lot of very very ordinary cars and a very very few bmw's.
Nice post Spalen. I make a lot of sacrifices to send my kids to a private school and I personally believe it is worth every penny.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If government contribution to education was stopped, there are many people who would no longer continue with Private education, as it would be too expensive.

Unlike the few high cost ones that get the small government contribution of around $2,500 that we initially mentioned, there are many others where the fees would rise too much.

eg: The Private Catholic schools that charge about $1,000 per year, would then be up to $10,000-$11,000. The average family on $50k-$60k could no longer afford private schools.

If our fees lost the government contribution, of about $5,000 per year, we would be looking at about $12,000. We would have to go State. The result would be an extra expense to the taxpayer to educate our child of about another $7,000 per year.
  • Does it really make sense to increase the TAXPAYERS cost of education from $5,000 per year up to $12,000 per year, just to stop private education. ?
  • Will the taxpayer be happy to cough up all that extra money ?
  • Why would anyone want to try to justify increasing education costs in such a way ?
So you can't afford private education unless it's subsidized by others?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IvanM
My kids would not be allowed in private either as they would take away resources from others.
By reducing the cost of your childs education to the taxpayer, by going private and paying part yourself, you would actually be INCREASING the available resources to all other State school children, NOT reducing them.

Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by debsy
Nice post Spalen. I make a lot of sacrifices to send my kids to a private school and I personally believe it is worth every penny.
...and if you can't afford it no matter how hard you sacrifice? You would still expect those people to pay towards your kids education in taxation?

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Sep 12th 2010 at 9:59 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

By reducing the cost of your childs education to the taxpayer, by going private and paying part yourself, you would actually be INCREASING the available resources to all other State school children, NOT reducing them.
You keep rolling that argument out... and I keep responding with the logical conclusion of that approach would be the abolition of State education and a return to only those who can afford it being educated at all.

...and I will say it again. YOU left.. YOU pay.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:56 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and if you can't afford it no matter how hard you sacrifice? You would still expect them to pay towards your kids education?
Mate. Seriously. Are you just choosing to ignore the facts that are being laid out in front of you so you can troll?

If you shut the private system - the state system does worse

If you reduce funding to the private system - the state system does worse

33% of people send their kids to these schools its not the great social divide you believe it to be.

You cease to make sense.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Too be honest I don't care. YOU left the State system, so why expect the State to continue paying anything at all?
That is where you have it wrong. This is not Britain.

Australia's Independent school system is a mixture of government funding and Parent contributions, so that the financial expense is reduced for those in the State system.

Those in this system have NOT left a system where they get 100% subsidised education, to go to ZERO contribution, but we have gone to a shared partnership system, with a smaller contribution from the government.

Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

...and if you can't afford it no matter how hard you sacrifice? You would still expect them to pay towards your kids education?
Who is "them"?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:58 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Another option is to introduce a graduate tax on degrees where there is no skills shortage and to make the students pay full fees payable post graduation. No buying your way in like with Howard. Everyone pays and the funds diverted to where it is needed ie ensuring all Australians have a shot education. English Literature and Social Studies are a luxury compared to providing children what is needed to enter life productively and contribute to the nations economy.

Private education is only so popular due to the lack of resourcing of public. This is not about robbing the rich but about maximising the wealth of the nation and providing equal opportunity. Whether that opportunity is taken is another matter.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:59 pm
ABCDiamond

...and I will say it again. YOU left.. YOU pay.
That only applies in Britain, not Australia.
It is a different system here.

The Private/Independents subsidise the State system.

Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:02 pm
ABCDiamond

...and if you can't afford it no matter how hard you sacrifice? You would still expect those people to pay towards your kids education in taxation?
If we couldn't afford it, the option is for the Government to pay 100% of the cost instead of maybe about 50% or even less in some cases.

You seem happy to spend the taxpayers money, instead of save it.

Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spalen
Mate. Seriously. Are you just choosing to ignore the facts that are being laid out in front of you so you can troll?

If you shut the private system - the state system does worse

If you reduce funding to the private system - the state system does worse

33% of people send their kids to these schools its not the great social divide you believe it to be.

You cease to make sense.
I am not advocating the closure of the private system.. I'm advocating that if you choose to use it then pay for it in full.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:05 pm

Yep then I think people would be happier to pay more taxes for education. Suddenly the middle classes will want proper funding for state education rather than hogging resources.
If we couldn't afford it, the option is for the Government to pay 100% of the cost instead of maybe about 50% or even less in some cases.

You seem happy to spend the taxpayers money, instead of save it.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

Bored now.. it beat talking about "will my fridge work in Australia" or "how much do I need to live in Sydney"... but not by much.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:07 pm

Exactly. Removal of the billions in subsidies will see a reduction in private, not a removal.
I am not advocating the closure of the private system.. I'm advocating that if you choose to use it then pay for it in full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.