Taxpayers make private schools rich

Wikiposts

Taxpayers make private schools rich

Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taxpayers make private schools rich

Originally Posted by spalen
How about the other perspective - why should I pay tax for a school system that I dont use because I pay for my kids to go private.
You can take it off topic as much as you like,but fact is - paying for education is a sacrifice. Its money that could be spent on other things but some people make a choice that they prefer to spend it on schooling, others have boats, cars, holidays etc and some have nothing at all. Private schooling in this country is nowhere near as elitist as it is in the UK, at least judging by the jobs (and therefore 'class') of people that I see at our school. There are an awful lot of very very ordinary cars and a very very few bmw's.
I don't see how I was "taking it off topic". I was just using some stupid analogies in response to your ludicrous response of "why should I pay tax for a school system that I dont use".
Even if you are sending your kids private they are still being subsidized by other taxpayers, many of whom either don't have kids at all or couldn't afford private education for their kids, no matter how hard they sacrificed.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The quick answer is, because you'll benefit from them later.

I can expand on that if you wish.
Naaa, its largely a rhetorical question, but thanks for the offer
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

You can take it off topic as much as you like,but fact is - paying for education is a sacrifice. Its money that could be spent on other things but some people make a choice that they prefer to spend it on schooling, others have boats, cars, holidays etc and some have nothing at all. Private schooling in this country is nowhere near as elitist as it is in the UK, at least judging by the jobs (and therefore 'class') of people that I see at our school. There are an awful lot of very very ordinary cars and a very very few bmw's.
Agree - a lot of kids in Australia board at expensive private schools for no other reason that schooling isn't available in their community.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes but Scotch college probably has millions of bucks and does'nt need the taxpayers money but takes it anyway. Its like the government paying Rupert Murdoch an old age pension.
But the money goes to the parents in the form of reduced fees....

Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But the money goes to the parents in the form of reduced fees....
''The government is extending privilege to the already privileged"
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
''The government is extending privilege to the already privileged"
Not all private school kids parents are in the privileged class by a long shot.

And, Education is a right, not a privilege.

Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Not all private school kids parents are in the privileged class by a long shot..

Do you include the three schools in the article in that?

$20k+ pa in fees would, I think, rule out most Australians on average wages. Don't you?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:19 pm
ABCDiamond

$20k+ pa in fees would, I think, rule out most Australians on average wages. Don't you?
Actually I don't agree.
Two parents both on average wages, would be about $130,000. $20k of that is 15% of their income. That's near enough the same as the % we spend on education. And I am no-where near privileged.

What about the Scotch college kids who are on scholarships or part scholarships, and need that discounted fee from the government contribution.

Geelong Grammar, in that article, stated that almost all the school's yearly grants were used to fund scholarships.

If all government contributions to private schools were stopped, no doubt it would hurt those underprivileged kids who could no longer get a scholarship.

It would also put more kids into the State school system and cause massive budget blow outs in education costs.

Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:22 pm
ABCDiamond

On that same point.

Is it fair that a person who earns $150,000 per year and puts their child into the State system, and therefore benefits from about $11,000 per year of taxpayers funds to educate their child ?

You seem to feel that a person who only gets $2,559 in the same benefit should not get it.

Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think the private schools are better suited for this type of cash handout. The new facilities would be made full use of by the school unlike the state schools where they would most likely be trashed by the pupils that attend them.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:30 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I think the private schools are better suited for this type of cash handout. The new facilities would be made full use of by the school unlike the state schools where they would most likely be trashed by the pupils that attend them.
So state school kids would trash everything while private school kids are all little angels.l think you should read the links below.
http://www.news.com.au/prestigious-s...-1111117583829

http://www.watoday.com.au/national/e...1021-54zv.html

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 11th 2010 at 11:33 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

On that same point.

Is it fair that a person who earns $150,000 per year and puts their child into the State system, and therefore benefits from about $11,000 per year of taxpayers funds to educate their child ?

You seem to feel that a person who only gets $2,559 in the same benefit should not get it.
Logically then, you are saying that anybody who, in your opinion, could pay, should pay?

What I'm actually saying is that I don't see why the State should be providing a subsidy to those people who choose to send their kids private... and regardless of how you try to spin it, the majority of the kids at those three schools are likely to be from relatively wealthy parents.... you know, the ones who you think should be paying anyway.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

Prick
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Prick
Yes, you might grow one of those when you grow up.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Yes, you might grow one of those when you grow up.
Childish attempts to wind people up just make you look even more pathetic than normal. If you set out to deliberately inflame people at least make a reasonable intelligent stab at it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.