Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tax Return - House losing Money in UK, can I claim Relief?

Wikiposts

Tax Return - House losing Money in UK, can I claim Relief?

Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

cormaclynch will become famous soon enough
Default Tax Return - House losing Money in UK, can I claim Relief?

Hi Guys,

Been away for months so sorry if this has been asked already.

I have a house in the UK and its losing money. I'm currently living in Australia and have been for the full tax year. With rental income minus mortgage payments and repairs required by the tennant I lost approx 4000 pounds sterling over the year July 2010-2011.

Just wondering if I can claim this back as an investment property thats losing money, i.e negative gearing?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return - House losing Money in UK, can I claim Relief?

Yes! You can offset foreign property losses against your personal income in Australia. (unlike in the UK)

http://www.ato.gov.au/

You can phone them or look through the website.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Note that you can only claim the interest paid on the mortgage.

So great if you have an interest-only loan - you may be able to deduct the whole 4k UKP. Won't be able to deduct quite so much if some of the loss includes principal payments.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Remember to claim maintenance and management fees and if you travel to the UK for an "inspection" to claim a portion of your flight costs and accommodation.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:15 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
Remember to claim maintenance and management fees and if you travel to the UK for an "inspection" to claim a portion of your flight costs and accommodation.
Be careful with this one. It's either all or nothing there is no portion. If you have any "me" time on the trip then you can't claim even a portion of the flight as an expense.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rambi
Be careful with this one. It's either all or nothing there is no portion. If you have any "me" time on the trip then you can't claim even a portion of the flight as an expense.
It depends on your reason for going back who's to say that your main reason wasn't to inspect your property even if you did do other things while there

here are the rules anyway

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=6&H6
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

babysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nice

When you say "claim back" do you get money back or is this offset against your TFN and your pay less tax (like in the UK with a tax coding notice?)

We have a house we are renting, though not losing money yet (might if interest go up though) through an agent who i have to pay £90.00 per month for not doing alot, i registered this with the tax office before we left so we would not have to pay the higher amount of tax, but we still pay 17% vat on the management fees
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

cormaclynch will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replys guys.

Yes im on an interest only loan so should be able to claim the majority of it back.

I'm going back in September Primarily to check on the house etc......and as luck would have it my sister is getting married too, stroke of luck the inspection and wedding coincided...
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:16 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
It depends on your reason for going back who's to say that your main reason wasn't to inspect your property even if you did do other things while there

here are the rules anyway

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=6&H6
So I was right about the flights then.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:13 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

does this mean a UK mortgage holder who's losing money (negative gearing) can claim against this and pay less Tax in Aus? why would the Aussie Tax system let Aussie Tax payers pay less cos of losing money in the UK

Not having a go at the OP cos he's only taking what's his....just trying to understand why Aus would disadvatage itself
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
does this mean a UK mortgage holder who's losing money (negative gearing) can claim against this and pay less Tax in Aus? why would the Aussie Tax system let Aussie Tax payers pay less cos of losing money in the UK

Not having a go at the OP cos he's only taking what's his....just trying to understand why Aus would disadvatage itself
Yes, they only changed the rule a few years ago.

Since you have to declare worldwide income and can be taxed on it Oz (the profit), then it's only fair that you can claim back legit expenses if you don't make a profit against your income.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:37 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yes, they only changed the rule a few years ago.

Since you have to declare worldwide income and can be taxed on it Oz (the profit), then it's only fair that you can claim back legit expenses if you don't make a profit against your income.
oh wow....so if you make money in UK then you pay Aus Tax on it too. Didn't know that either

more chance of getting Tax relief than paying more tax I would have thought
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh wow....so if you make money in UK then you pay Aus Tax on it too. Didn't know that either

more chance of getting Tax relief than paying more tax I would have thought
If you make a profit on your house in the UK, HMRC will grab their bit first and because of the tax agreement with Oz, the tax paid in the UK can be offset against tax paid to the ATO on your tax return.

If a loss on your property is made in the UK, however, then HMRC won't pay you anything back. (You can only offset it to the next financial year). So this loss can be offset on your ATO tax return.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco
If you make a profit on your house in the UK, HMRC will grab their bit first and because of the tax agreement with Oz, the tax paid in the UK can be offset against tax paid to the ATO on your tax return.

If a loss on your property is made in the UK, however, then HMRC won't pay you anything back. (You can only offset it to the next financial year). So this loss can be offset on your ATO tax return.
what % of people gain profit Vs lose it d'ya reckon?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

what % of people gain profit Vs lose it d'ya reckon?
Probably not many, but I think the OP will be able to claim legit expenses back from the ATO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.