Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tax back after 12 month working holiday?

Tax back after 12 month working holiday?

Old May 17th 2009, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Kade9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax back after 12 month working holiday?

Hey, quick question for anyone who can untangle the web of rumours and confusion regarding applying for tax back after working on a 12 month working holiday visa.

I arrived in Aus on 24 July 08. I worked in Perth from Aug to Dec. I then worked in Sydney for a couple of weeks in March, and have been working in Brisbane since 30 April. I will finish my current contract on 4 July (Independence Day in more ways than one!), and will be leaving for the UK after 11 and a bit brilliant months here.

I've started to look at getting Super and tax back. The Super seems relatively straight forward (kiss of death?), but the tax situation seems less so. I've read and heard so many different points of view on what makes one eligible to receive a refund.

Please can anyone shed any light on this, and also recommend an agent to use (or is it best to do it yourself)?

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers, Ross.
Old May 17th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tax back after 12 month working holiday?

You need to be classified as resident for at least 6 months of your stay to be treated as a resident for tax purposes (i.e. have access to the tax free allowance etc). Non-residents are taxed at a basic rate of 29% I think which you dont get back.

To be classified as resident you need to have stayed in Australia for at least 6 months (which you have) and to have acted like a resident for at least 6 months. To have acted like a resident you should have lived continuously in the same place for at least 6 months. I'd go read the Oz inland revenue (or equivalent of) website. If you claim tax back through an agent you will simply have to fill out a form which you will state you these facts.

I used these guys, they were excellent mainly around the speed of response they kept me up to date with each stage of the process but the whole thing literally took 4 weeks from first point of contact to the money hitting my account i faxed them my wage slips and a banking IBAN number for the funds and they did the rest:

www.taxbackaustralia.com
Old May 18th 2009, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax back after 12 month working holiday?

Originally Posted by Kade9
applying for tax back after working on a 12 month working holiday visa.

I arrived in Aus on 24 July 08. I worked in Perth from Aug to Dec. I then worked in Sydney for a couple of weeks in March, and have been working in Brisbane since 30 April. I will finish my current contract on 4 July (Independence Day in more ways than one!), and will be leaving for the UK after 11 and a bit brilliant months here.
On a WHV and with the above work history you will be classed as non-resident for taxation purposes. Non-residents do not get a tax-free allowance, but pay tax on all their earnings. Therefore you will not get any tax back.

You will get your super back if you apply for that.