Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Talking about hysteria...

Wikiposts

Talking about hysteria...

Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:38 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talking about hysteria...

But we can't sit back and say, we're doomed, we're all doomed, let's do naff all. We can say, look we may be doomed eventually but if there are things we can do to slow it down, why don't we do them?

edit: Yes that's the simplistic version, I'll leave the detail to you lot.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:40 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
But we can't sit back and say, we're doomed, we're all doomed, let's do naff all. We can say, look we may be doomed eventually but if there are things we can do to slow it down, why don't we do them?

Well there is a difference between the world getting warmer, and the world getting catastrophically warmer.

It seems to me that the former is true, not the latter.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:41 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
Sure we need to preserve our ecosystems, try not to pollute, not cut down old growth forest to make newspaper, stop killing whales, try to preserve animal habitats. I'm with you on all these things.

I just don't agree that "climate change" is man made. In fact the last couple of years it's getting cooler again.

A bit like with vaccinating kids, on one side you have loonies (the man made climate change lobby) and on the other you have respected scientists who have been getting very little funding and media attention..

BTW there are three things that smell like fish, one of them is fish...
As I say, it don't matter a bit if it is man-made, but the majority of scientists seem to think that way. The very few scientists who seem to think otherwise may well be being paid for their research by companies with vested interests, such as coal and oil producers.

And remember, climate change isn't necessarily global warming. For instance is it thought that the Gulf Stream may be diverted away from Northern Europe and the UK, which would significantly cool the area - potentially bringing on another localised mini ice-age.

We have all the natural energy we need in solar, wind, geothermal and one of the biggest energy sources - the ocean tides. Why hasn't Australia embraced solar, which we have so much of? Because of the vested interests in coal and uranium. And don't get me started on "clean coal" - what a joke.

It made me laugh on that original Telegraph article, when it said "The vast Antarctic ice-sheet is not melting, except in one tiny corner, the Antarctic Peninsula."
Tiny - haha! Are they on about the Larsen A ice shelf which collapsed in 1995, the Prince Gustav shelf which also went in 1995 or the Larsen B which went the same way in 2002? Maybe they're talking about the Wilkins ice shelf which collapsed in 2008 or maybe the Larsen C which is near it's "limit of viability?"
Maybe they're talking about the Filcher-Ronne ice shelf which at 430,000 square km is the size of Spain and has been spawning quite a few icebergs recently?
Maybe they're talking about the largest ice shelf, the Ross ice shelf which is the size of France and if it went would cause the world's sea level to increase 5 metres! It's still in tact at the moment, but suffering some cracks and break offs lately. In March 2000, a bit broke off and formed the largest ever recorded iceberg - it was the size of Belgium!

Some facts from the British Antartic Survey:
# Since the start of the Industrial Revolution the amount of greenhouse gases entering the atmosphere has increased beyond that caused by natural events.
# There is growing evidence that a large part of the recently observed rapid change is driven by human activity.
# The temperature in the Antarctic Peninsula has risen by almost 3°C in the last 50 years causing some of the smaller ice shelves to melt.

Although obviously, as you say, there are no scientists among the British Antartic Survey - they're just Loonies
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Because that prevents the developing countries from developing.

I think running out of oil is going to have a much bigger impact on mankind.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:50 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
As I say, it don't matter a bit if it is man-made, but the majority of scientists seem to think that way. The very few scientists who seem to think otherwise may well be being paid for their research by companies with vested interests, such as coal and oil producers.

And remember, climate change isn't necessarily global warming. For instance is it thought that the Gulf Stream may be diverted away from Northern Europe and the UK, which would significantly cool the area - potentially bringing on another localised mini ice-age.

We have all the natural energy we need in solar, wind, geothermal and one of the biggest energy sources - the ocean tides. Why hasn't Australia embraced solar, which we have so much of? Because of the vested interests in coal and uranium. And don't get me started on "clean coal" - what a joke.

It made me laugh on that original Telegraph article, when it said "The vast Antarctic ice-sheet is not melting, except in one tiny corner, the Antarctic Peninsula."
Tiny - haha! Are they on about the Larsen A ice shelf which collapsed in 1995, the Prince Gustav shelf which also went in 1995 or the Larsen B which went the same way in 2002? Maybe they're talking about the Wilkins ice shelf which collapsed in 2008 or maybe the Larsen C which is near it's "limit of viability?"
Maybe they're talking about the Filcher-Ronne ice shelf which at 430,000 square km is the size of Spain and has been spawning quite a few icebergs recently?
Maybe they're talking about the largest ice shelf, the Ross ice shelf which is the size of France and if it went would cause the world's sea level to increase 5 metres! It's still in tact at the moment, but suffering some cracks and break offs lately. In March 2000, a bit broke off and formed the largest ever recorded iceberg - it was the size of Belgium!

Some facts from the British Antartic Survey:
# Since the start of the Industrial Revolution the amount of greenhouse gases entering the atmosphere has increased beyond that caused by natural events.
# There is growing evidence that a large part of the recently observed rapid change is driven by human activity.
# The temperature in the Antarctic Peninsula has risen by almost 3°C in the last 50 years causing some of the smaller ice shelves to melt.

Although obviously, as you say, there are no scientists among the British Antartic Survey - they're just Loonies
Regarding you BAS points.

1. True.
2. True.
3. Possibly true

As for three the temperature could drop over the next twenty years. Local changes in temperature, even longterm, do not a global catastrophe make.

Here's a question for you then. Where is your cast-iron guarantee that reducing carbon dioxide will have any affect on the rate at which the planet warms?

You certainly seem to believe that you have this guarantee.

(and I'd like to see a quote from a scientist, not a politician or spin doctor)
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:52 pm

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Burbage
The dispute has nothing to do with the fact that the earth is warming. It has to do with the hypothesis that carbon dioxide from fossil fuels is causing abnormal and accelerated warming. The paper I linked to above disputes this. If the paper is correct then the following applies:
1. Increased levels of CO2 do not cause temperatures to increase.
2. Reducing carbon dioxide output will therefore have no effect on the rate at which the planet warms.
3. Elevated levels of carbon dioxide definitely encourage plant growth, which is the base of the food chain. Therefore it is very likely that if this paper is correct and carbon dioxide has no effect on global warming then it would actually be detrimental to the environment to reduce it.

In effect the paper is saying that carbon dioxide is not the problem.

It is not saying that the earth is not heating up.
I see what the papers saying, although one issue is that the full effect of the greenhouse gases hasn't been felt yet, because of the additional pollution in the atmosphere which is partly shielding us. In the days after 9/11 in the US where they didn't fly any planes for a few days, it warmed up enough for scientists to realise this fact. They reckon that as we reduce the other pollutants we're putting into the atmosphere there will be a period where it will heat up significantly, before the reduction in CO2 will take effect.

And no.3 is quite funny isn't it! Sounds a miracle that that plant life ever came about in the first place without us to chuck shed-loads of CO2 at it!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Maybe they're talking about the largest ice shelf, the Ross ice shelf which is the size of France and if it went would cause the world's sea level to increase 5 metres!
This 5 metres seems impossible to believe, is there a reliable source for this estimate? I've seen 5 metres estimated for the entire West Antarctic Ice Sheet, The Australian: Ross Ice Shelf could 'collapse quickly'.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:54 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Volcanoes produce lots more CO2 than man does, so do the oceans.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:56 pm
Demi-God

I see what the papers saying, although one issue is that the full effect of the greenhouse gases hasn't been felt yet, because of the additional pollution in the atmosphere which is partly shielding us. In the days after 9/11 in the US where they didn't fly any planes for a few days, it warmed up enough for scientists to realise this fact. They reckon that as we reduce the other pollutants we're putting into the atmosphere there will be a period where it will heat up significantly, before the reduction in CO2 will take effect.

And no.3 is quite funny isn't it! Sounds a miracle that that plant life ever came about in the first place without us to chuck shed-loads of CO2 at it!
You're obviously not a biologist. The carbon dioxide "we're chucking" as you like to put it, came from plants in the first place. That's what oil and coal are.

Our atmosphere was once composed of nitrogen and carbon dioxide. It wasn't until green plants evolved that they started to convert the carbon dioxide into oxygen. Without plants there would be no oxygen, there would only be carbon dioxide. And nothing bigger than a bacterium would be alive.

You haven't answered my question yet.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:58 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

But is there any point in spending a fortune in doing something that is not going to have a demonstrable effect on the end result - i.e. will not change the rate of warming.

I, like Burbage, don't dispute that there is something going on, one way or another. What I don't like is the application of pseudo-science and the heretical way that people who go against the populist view are treated.

The idea that warming is a naturally occurring mechanism, beyond the control of humans, is, by definition, the Null Hypothesis. Thus it is the responsibility of scientists to try and prove the Alternative Hypothesis (that warming is contributed to by man) and not to demonise people who, rightly or wrongly, support the null. Thus far, none of the 'evidence' that I have seen has been compelling enough to make me accept that the Alternative should be taken as gospel.

Sadly the vast majority of human kind have little or no concept of dilligent scientific investigation, and are more than happy to jump onto a dogmatic, religious style bandwagon.

S

Originally Posted by Burbage
Here's a question for you then. Where is your cast-iron guarantee that reducing carbon dioxide will have any affect on the rate at which the planet warms?

You certainly seem to believe that you have this guarantee.

(and I'd like to see a quote from a scientist, not a politician or spin doctor)
No cast-iron guarantees. But all the scientific evidence seems to point that way.

But do you need a cast-iron guarantee that you will get lung cancer before giving up smoking, a cast-iron guarantee that you'll get a nasty result from injecting heroin, or a cast-iron guarantee that your kids will get run over by a lorry before stopping them playing in the middle of the road?

The point is that we can reduce our effect on the planet, and not taking that opportunity seems a bit dumb.
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Volcanoes produce lots more CO2 than man does, so do the oceans.
Haha I take it this is a joke?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:01 pm
Demi-God

No cast-iron guarantees. But all the scientific evidence seems to point that way.

But do you need a cast-iron guarantee that you will get lung cancer before giving up smoking, a cast-iron guarantee that you'll get a nasty result from injecting heroin, or a cast-iron guarantee that your kids will get run over by a lorry before stopping them playing in the middle of the road?

The point is that we can reduce our effect on the planet, and not taking that opportunity seems a bit dumb.
But the scientific evidence does not point that way. It points the other way. There is no evidence at all that carbon dioxide causes global warming. It is a very small contributor at the very most.

Unless you have evidence?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:08 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Haha I take it this is a joke?
You should watch this, it's good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gre...arming_Swindle
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Seen it. But not really into conspiracy theories. I prefer science.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.