Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Talk of Mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero

Talk of Mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero

Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:57 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk of Mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero

Originally Posted by fish.01
Western democracies hold themselves up as bastions of freedom and decency. That's why I think they are great. They should support actions that encourage the moderates of countries like Malaysia to become more democratic rather than allow the extremists to point at the discrimination of western democracies to help them gain the upper hand.
If there was growing evidence to show that our tolerant approach was working then I would support it.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
If there was growing evidence to show that our tolerant approach was working then I would support it.
If there was growing evidence that we should abandon our ideals and admit Malaysian extremists had it right all along I would support becoming like them
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
If there was growing evidence that we should abandon our ideals and admit Malaysian extremists had it right all along I would support becoming like them
Let's hope that the evidence becomes crystal clear before it's too late and we are all forced to adopt the Malaysian extremists ideals. But heyho by then it won't be our problem because we'll be dead and buried - it'll be our children's and our grandchildren's problem
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about

It is a tough one but I think it should be down to the people who live in that area to decide who can do what. If they deem it inflammatory, out of place etc then they should have the right to say no.

Just like trying to build an industrial estate in a picture postcard village would be judged on it's merits by local councillors the same should apply here.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
so if they won't raise their society to the same level as ours we should lower ours down to theirs.
Bollocks.

I really can't think of a more suitable response. I'm sure you will use that statement as a reflection of my intellectual capabilities but I thought "bollocks" summed up quite nicely what I thought of your comment.

You'e not related to this guy by any chance?

Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:37 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for a mosque at ground zero as long as we can have a water park in Pakistan...
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

So to those who disagree with the plan; if 2 blocks is too close, how about 3? Maybe 4? Or 5? Where do we draw the line? How close is too close? What if there is a mosque already inside the "small-minded man's mosque exclusion zone"? Do we knock it down?

I think perhaps Americans (and anyone else who takes issue with this plan) may benefit from looking a little harder at the reasons behind the 9/11 attacks. I'm pretty sure the USA wasn't targeted solely because it is a predominantly Christian country. It's foreign policy towards the Middle Eastern countries (not including Israel of course, who would never do any wrong....) was more of reason.

*** Disclaimer: I was as appalled as the next man by the 9/11 attacks and have no tolerance for extremism of any type. Do not take this post as tacit approval of 9/11, mosque building locations, U.S foreign policy, the "state" of Israel, Middle Eastern country's attitudes to "The West" or anything else you may like to read into it to justify jumping down my throat. I'd rather you just answered the questions...***
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Someone should open a gay bar next door called "You Mecca Me Horny"
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:05 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There was similar outrage about Japanese folks building Buddhist temples in California post WWII. Today, no one would care.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
So to those who disagree with the plan; if 2 blocks is too close, how about 3? Maybe 4? Or 5? Where do we draw the line? How close is too close? What if there is a mosque already inside the "small-minded man's mosque exclusion zone"? Do we knock it down?

I think perhaps Americans (and anyone else who takes issue with this plan) may benefit from looking a little harder at the reasons behind the 9/11 attacks. I'm pretty sure the USA wasn't targeted solely because it is a predominantly Christian country. It's foreign policy towards the Middle Eastern countries (not including Israel of course, who would never do any wrong....) was more of reason.

*** Disclaimer: I was as appalled as the next man by the 9/11 attacks and have no tolerance for extremism of any type. Do not take this post as tacit approval of 9/11, mosque building locations, U.S foreign policy, the "state" of Israel, Middle Eastern country's attitudes to "The West" or anything else you may like to read into it to justify jumping down my throat. I'd rather you just answered the questions...***
How close is too close... Turning your question round.. how about if they wanted to build it ON Ground Zero? Would that be too close for you... or is that fine as well?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There was similar outrage about Japanese folks building Buddhist temples in California post WWII. Today, no one would care.
I'll tell them to come back in 50 years then?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richie Redlands
Ok its NIMBY but what if we had Ground Zero here ? I would be interested to know if you would give it the go ahead or not and why?
President Obama reckons its OK. Its 2 blocks away from Ground Zero so why the uproar?
A complete failure of common sense and respect. No-one is advocating a breach of religious freedom but why decide to build in a spot so close to the worst terrorist act on US soil? Why not move it 20 blocks north where sensitivities will be spared?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I'll tell them to come back in 50 years then?
I think if avoiding controversy were the MAIN goal, the congregants would do better by choosing a different site. OTOH, not knowing the real estate market and dizzying amounts of regulation put in place by NYC, perhaps this is by far the "best" place for them to build. I don't think anyone could be swayed by that counterargument though.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Macca67
A complete failure of common sense and respect. No-one is advocating a breach of religious freedom but why decide to build in a spot so close to the worst terrorist act on US soil? Why not move it 20 blocks north where sensitivities will be spared?
Exactly. It seems almost designed to wind people.

Those who claim it's being built as a symbol of an Islamic victory might well have a point. Even if its not seem that way by its proponents, it certainly will be by the the extremist side to Islam.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think if avoiding controversy were the MAIN goal, the congregants would do better by choosing a different site.
Looking at it from distance, creating controversy seems to be the main goal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.