British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Taking your own passport photos (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/taking-your-own-passport-photos-755414/)

rubbeldiekatz Apr 19th 2012 6:48 am

Taking your own passport photos

Has anyone ever done this ?

(Sorry, I should have posted this is the Barbie forum)

LittleKittyCat Apr 19th 2012 8:24 am

Re: Taking your own passport photos

We used these people http://www.passportphotos.com.au/ for our childrens passport/visa photos. They were easy to do and were delivered within a couple of days.

moneypenny20 Apr 19th 2012 9:51 am

You can do it yourself, others have. You do have to make sure that you've followed their rules to the letter, they can be very anal so for me it was way easier and quicker to go Aus Post and let them do it.

Pollyana Apr 19th 2012 10:53 am

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz (Post 10013932)

Moved for you ;)

nicolac34 Apr 19th 2012 12:27 pm

Yes we did ours with our point and shoot camera, then went to a pharmany and had them printed. 8 photos for $12.99.

rubbeldiekatz Apr 19th 2012 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10014168)
You can do it yourself, others have. You do have to make sure that you've followed their rules to the letter, they can be very anal so for me it was way easier and quicker to go Aus Post and let them do it.

Quicker yes but when you take them yourself you can make sure you look half decent :-)

rubbeldiekatz Apr 19th 2012 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10014284)
Moved for you ;)

Ta :-)

Wol Apr 19th 2012 11:08 pm

How right you are!

I took my own, printed them exactly as per the rules on high grade photo paper and presented the application to the local post office.

She said my eyes were too small. Asked how much surgery would make them acceptable just met with a stare.

I re-took them: this time they were rejected because there was no white border around the photo. When I said the photo was exactly the stipulated size I was told that included a white border. The rules say nothing about a border, I replied. Ah, but it's a requirement even if the rules say otherwise!

I can't remember why the third attempt was rejected: suffice it to say I took the original set to another post office and my passport was made out in a few days.

Post office staff (and this is a generalisation, of course) the world over have a particular mindset that would have gone down well in Berlin 1940.

rubbeldiekatz Aug 14th 2012 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 10015688)
How right you are!

I took my own, printed them exactly as per the rules on high grade photo paper and presented the application to the local post office.

She said my eyes were too small. Asked how much surgery would make them acceptable just met with a stare.

I re-took them: this time they were rejected because there was no white border around the photo. When I said the photo was exactly the stipulated size I was told that included a white border. The rules say nothing about a border, I replied. Ah, but it's a requirement even if the rules say otherwise!

I can't remember why the third attempt was rejected: suffice it to say I took the original set to another post office and my passport was made out in a few days.

Post office staff (and this is a generalisation, of course) the world over have a particular mindset that would have gone down well in Berlin 1940.

Hmmm I wonder whether all the drama is worth it...but I might give it a go even though I can imagine this being really painful.

bcworld Aug 14th 2012 12:28 am

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz (Post 10226009)
Hmmm I wonder whether all the drama is worth it...but I might give it a go even though I can imagine this being really painful.

I would just let Auspost take them and scam you for the cash.

I took some with a booth - Auspost said no.

I went to a pharmacy who advertised a passport photo service - Auspost said no.

I let Auspost take them...I have a huge shiny white spot on my forehead from some lights above and I'm not looking totally straight ahead...of course Auspost said they were fine. Kerching!

Gems Aug 14th 2012 1:14 am

I would not use Auspost. The staff dont have any photographic knowledge and so the results are usually terrible.

My eldest had to go back 3 times as the staff had not followed their own passport photo requirements. eg lots of shadow, not right size....

I got mine taken at Auspost and they were so bad, I nearly cried.
Went around the corner and found a photo shop which had better camera and got twice as many photos as Auspost for the same price.

Gems

Amazulu Aug 14th 2012 1:19 am

Not worth the hassle. At set of 8 at Officeworks costs less than $10.

jad n rich Aug 14th 2012 2:27 am

Partner and one son had to have theirs re-done three and two times respectively. They were rejected due to 'shadows', where? under the chin, side of the face.. I really could not see anything.

The passports come back and they this holograph imprinted layer over the top of the photo. Partner has a kangaroo holograph, clearly on the side of his head. That I assume is OK:confused: laughable after the shadow fuss.

My drivers licence is the same, thanks to the holograph I have what looks like a southern cross tatt slapped on my face.

carolinephillips Aug 14th 2012 3:14 am

I don't care what I look like on my passport photo- after 24 hours of travelling it is inevitably flattering compared to what my face actually looks like when I arrive at passport control.

spartacus Aug 14th 2012 4:54 am

Yes.

They said "mouth too smiley' glasses too shiny". I mean WTF!

http://www.socialpicks.com/photo/nam...JPG?1213405861