Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Taking Ozzie mobile to UK?

Wikiposts

Taking Ozzie mobile to UK?

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Ozzie mobile to UK?

i stil have the english one that was in my phone when i came (2 years ago) will it still be active, allowing me to put credit on it?

And is there an easy way to transfer the contacts from my oz sim over to my old uk one?

Jazzys
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:55 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al150n
When we flew to Perth last year we both took our 3 phones with us & found that we could use our inclusive minutes & texts out there as we could still use the 3 network. I've got a feeling they've stopped that option now though but might be worth seeing if vodafone do anything similar.
This option definitely still exists with three au. It's called '3 like home'.

It's very handy when going back to the UK as SMS costs are still included in your cap plan so there is no extra to pay. Call rates while roaming on 3 UK are also very decent - $0.70/min (not included in cap). It's also free to receive calls which isn't always the case when roaming.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

When we went to the UK we bought a cheap phone from Tesco and used that, simple no hassles, then give it to one of the rellies to use, when we came back

Last edited by blackcountrygirl; Aug 22nd 2009 at 10:09 pm. Reason: forgot something
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 10:09 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
i stil have the english one that was in my phone when i came (2 years ago) will it still be active, allowing me to put credit on it?

And is there an easy way to transfer the contacts from my oz sim over to my old uk one?

Jazzys
transfer all your data from sim to phone change the sim then transfer from phone to sim

probably it will still be active but if it's not why don't you go on vodafone uk or whoever and order a free sim to be sent to your uk adress of where you are staying the first night
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 10:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's cheaper to use a UK sim in the UK to text Aus and UK and to use an Aus sim in Aus to text the UK and Aus. If you have an old UK sim, just stick that in when you get there and top it up as required.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 5:13 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently in the UK using my telstra contract phone with a 3 sim card in it, the credit with 3 lasts forever unlike some which run out after 6 months.

you can get a free sim from them http://www.three.co.uk/Home
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
This option definitely still exists with three au. It's called '3 like home'.

It's very handy when going back to the UK as SMS costs are still included in your cap plan so there is no extra to pay. Call rates while roaming on 3 UK are also very decent - $0.70/min (not included in cap). It's also free to receive calls which isn't always the case when roaming.
It's not available here in the UK anymore We were intending to keep hold of one of our UK 3 contract phones to bring out with us so we could ring back here but have just switched providers as they no longer offer it.

Alison
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Heres one for ya!

I have 6 months left on my 02 600 mins unlimited texts and unlimited tinternet left
Was gonna just pay em up and cancel contract in a month or so,but what about just keeping it going and using it in oz? But i imagine i would get screwed on the costs due to it being a uk 02 card in oz?
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:37 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Heres one for ya!

I have 6 months left on my 02 600 mins unlimited texts and unlimited tinternet left
Was gonna just pay em up and cancel contract in a month or so,but what about just keeping it going and using it in oz? But i imagine i would get screwed on the costs due to it being a uk 02 card in oz?

Ya you would get screwed, it will automatically use 2 service providers - you make a call(sim connects to Oz provider, then to Uk provider, then back to OZ provider)
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:14 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys

Jazzys
copy your contacts to the phone
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a contract with three, mainly because we are going back at the end of next month.

Three like home is the cheapest option, not sure what the options are for prepaid but my $49/month will allow me to make calls in the UK for $0.30/min. Much cheaper than the vodafone option and even cheaper than using a Vodafine UK simcard.