British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   taking dog to oz, anybody done it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/taking-dog-oz-anybody-done-638421/)

lilly07 Oct 31st 2009 8:43 pm

taking dog to oz, anybody done it?

Hi guys we want to take our cocker spaniel to oz with us, has anyone done this and what company did you use and were they any good, cost is not a issue i just need to know she is safe.. it would be nice to get the process all done by the company, but i dont mind taking her to her own vet if necessary.

Centurion Oct 31st 2009 9:12 pm

Re: taking dog to oz, anybody done it?

www.airpets.co.uk

Then any domestic transfers from quarantine in Australia www.dogtainers.com.au

You will need to sort of the trips to the vet yourself. Be very very careful and make sure your vet understands the process and what vaccinations are required and what are NOT permitted (lepto for example).

My vet managed to screw it up which meant that my dog couldnt fly and had to wait 2 weeks in London before flying as they forgot 1 injection. This is despite me taking all the paperwork to them, going through it in depth.

I eventually threatened to sue the vet for negligence and they paid for the boarding costs but just shows you have to be very aware. Transport companies can only advise in that regard.

As to the transport process I cannot recommend airpets enough. The facilities were excellent and I personally inspected them. Dogtainers were amazing for bringing my dog from quatanine in Sydney to Brisbane.

If you search you will find a huge amount of threads on the subject.

MarkMC Oct 31st 2009 11:45 pm

x2 for aipets

Cheetah7 Nov 1st 2009 12:24 am

We used Ryslip Pet group and they organised everything for us, we just had to go to Byford and collect him on his release date.

Gordon was already microchipped but they organised the permits and everything and the vet check at the airport.

Cant recommend them highly enough.

breezeboylan Nov 1st 2009 6:56 am

We used golden arrow after numerous recommendations. Cant recommend them enough. Really friendly and helpful. www.goldenarrowshippers.com
As someone else mentioned be very careful if your dog is due his vaccines as he shouldn't have the lepto part of his boosters or he may be refused entry to Aus.
Tracie

sel Nov 1st 2009 7:14 am

Another one for Golden Arrow ... they were great :thumbup:

Bermudashorts Nov 1st 2009 7:20 am

I used Airpets to take my cats to Bermuda and will probably use them again for Australia.

They took all the strain away. They picked the cats up from home, took them to their kennels and kept them there for a month until we had found accommodation. Then we gave them a call, they sorted out the veterinary paperwork, booked the flights, got them on the plane and we were reunited seven hours later at Bermuda airport. It cost about £1,000 for two cats, pick up from our home in Hertfordshire, a months accommodation, provision of suitable travel container, the flights and paperwork.

We used them when we moved back to the UK too, they told us exactly what we needed to do with regards to getting all the rabies vaccinations and tests which were not required going the other way. We sent the cats on ahead so Airpets picked them up at Gatwick and kept them a couple of days until we got home and then delivered them back to us.

lilly07 Nov 1st 2009 5:57 pm

thanks everyone, have started the process of getting quotes... cheers.

Glasford Nov 2nd 2009 2:34 pm

We used Airpets to bring our two cocker spaniels out with us. We dealt with Naomi, who was very helpful & fortunately our vets were familiar with the Australian process.

We drove down to Heathrow with the dogs, only because we were in Scotland and it was easier. Dropped them off with bedding, toys and our leftover food. Were told that toys are not permitted on the plane, but that they could try and sneak a toy on each as they were soft ones!

Our youngest spaniel was all out of sorts with the journey down and hadn't eaten for the day, called Naomi the next day, before we flew to see if they had gotten her to eat & they had managed to temp her with some chicken! :thumbsup:

ronnie98 Nov 4th 2009 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by lilly07 (Post 8060638)
Hi guys we want to take our cocker spaniel to oz with us, has anyone done this and what company did you use and were they any good, cost is not a issue i just need to know she is safe.. it would be nice to get the process all done by the company, but i dont mind taking her to her own vet if necessary.

Were using parair and they are on the ball, we have a cocker and our vet has massed up as in given our dog a vaccine which she shouldnt of had 2 mths ago so the poor thing might have to stay here for a while until her levels are down so check and double check!
par air have been great though with all the advice