Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Swimming...in the ocean

Swimming...in the ocean

Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all
Default Swimming...in the ocean

So, I'm not so worried about sharks as I am box jellyfish. How prevalent are they...especially in the Cairns/Townsville area of N Qld? I love the ocean, but certainly do not care to ever come in contact with one of them.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swimming...in the ocean

Originally Posted by Brav
So, I'm not so worried about sharks as I am box jellyfish. How prevalent are they...especially in the Cairns/Townsville area of N Qld? I love the ocean, but certainly do not care to ever come in contact with one of them.
When I travelled from Port Douglas downwards, there seemed pretty good at putting up signs etc, when there are creatures that may kill/maim humans! So basically, if it says that it is likey that you are going to die from a swim, then just go swimming in one of the pools... Cairns had a good one..

If I remember rightly, at certain beaches they have nets to prevent the box jelly fishes coming in?? (Port Douglas from memory) and everyone was in the sea have a grand ol' time..

Em x
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

oh, and don't forget the crocs!

Em x
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:21 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You still wouldn't catch me in the ocean during jellyfish season even in a netted area.

The nets might stop the box jellyfish but they won't catch these guys that are just as deadly (if not more so).
http://www.irukandjijellyfish.com/

One documentary on box jellyfish and the Irukandji was more than enough to convince me not to trust the netting or even to swim in the water covered in a lycra suit.

It wouldn't stop me from living or visiting the area but I wouldn't be going in the ocean (in affected areas) during jellyfish season.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:31 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

If you love the ocean have you thought about living in Southern Queensland or northern NSW, You can swim in the ocean all year round, the only thing you have to worry about is sharks, but you more likely to be killed by a bee sting then a shark.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:56 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Swimming...in the ocean

Don't walk too close to the shoreline. They will leap out of the surf and drag you into a rip with their tentacles.

This has never actually happened, but THERE'S ALWAYS A FIRST TIME!!!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Obviously depends on the time of year when you plan to swim. They are more prevalant between November-May. During that time you swim inside the stinger nets.

I won't swim in the ocean, I like to see whats around me.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I swam in the ocean at Mission Beach a few months ago but now that stinger season has started, you won't catch me in there again until it's over!
The nets are ok but they don't keep out the irukanji which are tiny & very nasty & you are advised to swim with protective clothing on.
Lots of people do swim in the enclosures & just in swimmers. Your choice!
Swimming pool for me!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
If you love the ocean have you thought about living in Southern Queensland or northern NSW, You can swim in the ocean all year round, the only thing you have to worry about is sharks, but you more likely to be killed by a bee sting then a shark.
Apart from when the swarms of blue bottles drift in of course.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:03 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't even know what sea-lice were until we came here......not fatal but damned stingy and itchy

I tend to paddle alot here and save the swimming for pools.

Jan