Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sweet jesus - the inlaws are coming for six weeks

Sweet jesus - the inlaws are coming for six weeks

Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sweet jesus - the inlaws are coming for six weeks

Originally Posted by Dazza49
We have just bought a house and they have been looking on realestate at properties in the same area absolute nightmare
Any chance you could have a word with immigration so that they don't get a visa?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazza49
Hi Hutch,
Count yourself lucky, mine are coming over for goodand I can't stand my MIL an absolute BITCH. really dreading it and gonna cause problems with OH and myself Six weeks will seem like a lifetime, but the sooner yours get here the sooner thay leave, wish I could say that.Goodluck

Allyson
I feel so sorry for all you folks that dont want to see your inlaws, we are one of those that came over for good, my son married a australian girl luckily we get on really well. I do a round trip of 3 hours every monday to pick up my grandson he stays overnight so my daughter in law can work and his other nan looks after him 2 days , they often ring to say they will be up for the weekend and we have a few bottles of wine and take it in turns to cook ,my hubby also gets on great with my mum she will be over for a holiday soon shes nearly 80 and she can stay as long as she likes, my dad passed away 4 months ago so make the most of them while you can.
Janet
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:39 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
I feel so sorry for all you folks that dont want to see your inlaws, we are one of those that came over for good, my son married a australian girl luckily we get on really well. I do a round trip of 3 hours every monday to pick up my grandson he stays overnight so my daughter in law can work and his other nan looks after him 2 days , they often ring to say they will be up for the weekend and we have a few bottles of wine and take it in turns to cook ,my hubby also gets on great with my mum she will be over for a holiday soon shes nearly 80 and she can stay as long as she likes, my dad passed away 4 months ago so make the most of them while you can.
Janet
That's because we're lucky mate
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:55 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Loving your folks and living with them are worlds apart.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Loving your folks and living with them are worlds apart.
Well iv been lucky and loved my mum and dad and would of had them live with me, and my hubby got on great with my mum and dad, and hopefully my sons feel the same way about there mum and dad
janet
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:07 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

That's great to hear , sadly a lot of us are in the same boat as Hutch. Even though he really sounds like the captain.

Some of us are lucky though the mother stated "I have no interest in seeing that place" hence the wife insisted on one way tickets.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother would never come but if she did we would all take a long trip somewhere far away whilst she was here. Not sure my brother knows where Australia is. My sister was coming one christmas but decided to go to NY instead. My SiL lives in Perth - possibly why we settled as far on the other side as possible.

The only rellies we'd like to see would be the MiL and FiL - they're great. Unfortunately because they are nice they feel that if they came to see us they would feel honour bound to visit the SiL as well and they have no intention of doing that ever again because the BiL is the biggest dick in the world so it's unlikely they will come over. Never mind, I can cope with all that providing my mother never appears on my doorstep.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:13 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Hutch, If you feel the need to get away for a few days (5.5 weeks), just let us know.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:41 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, obviously I'd prefer it if my wife's parents weren't the human equivalent of an extra-terrestrial vacuum, but what can you do? For the record, the missus dislikes 'em every bit as much as me, though obviously she still takes the "they're still family" line, which is why they're coming out to see her and my son at the end of the year. And it's not just us either, the brother-in-law has a collection of doll-like likenesses of the MIL that he stabs pins into of an evening while muttering African incantations.

Prior to meeting my wife's parents I thought that characters like Hyacinth Bouquet and Victor Meldrew were comedic inventions - so imagine my delight when I discovered they were real people. Though if anything Hyacinth and Victor are toned down versions of my in-laws. Did I mention that my father-in-law is so tight that he made his wife (six weeks out of surgery for breast cancer) catch the bus to her out-patients appointments because it was more cost effective than driving? Or that they've adopted a French family who they met through town-twinning and whose eight year old son they shower with gifts while their own grandson is lucky to get a card and a pack of felt-tips?

They say we're in for an El-Nino summer, well fear not, because the MIL's on her way and she can suck the light from the day.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:19 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea, obviously I'd prefer it if my wife's parents weren't the human equivalent of an extra-terrestrial vacuum, but what can you do? For the record, the missus dislikes 'em every bit as much as me, though obviously she still takes the "they're still family" line, which is why they're coming out to see her and my son at the end of the year. And it's not just us either, the brother-in-law has a collection of doll-like likenesses of the MIL that he stabs pins into of an evening while muttering African incantations.

Prior to meeting my wife's parents I thought that characters like Hyacinth Bouquet and Victor Meldrew were comedic inventions - so imagine my delight when I discovered they were real people. Though if anything Hyacinth and Victor are toned down versions of my in-laws. Did I mention that my father-in-law is so tight that he made his wife (six weeks out of surgery for breast cancer) catch the bus to her out-patients appointments because it was more cost effective than driving? Or that they've adopted a French family who they met through town-twinning and whose eight year old son they shower with gifts while their own grandson is lucky to get a card and a pack of felt-tips?

They say we're in for an El-Nino summer, well fear not, because the MIL's on her way and she can suck the light from the day.

Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

Feel for you, my parents came for a 3 month holiday just 3 months after we arrived, felt like they had only gone back, when 9 months later they came for 8 weeks.....to help with the kids over summer..............this was after me being blunt and saying anything over 5 weeks was too long.....they move over later this year.......need a base.....think hubby is moving out......
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

MERCAT will become famous soon enough

*weeps quietly into his hands*

Missus: They're definitely coming. Have told them they'll need to chip in with electricity etc.
Me: ****!
Missus: And my mum says she has learned her lesson!
Me: ****!
Missus: They are coming for ages.
Me: Define 'ages'.
Missus: 9th dec - 18th jan
Me: And they'll be in this house during that entire period? They're not like, buggering off to Perth for five of those weeks?
Missus: At least it's over christmas so loads going on.
Me: Yea, a double homicide for starters ....

http://www.mybloggingblog.com/wp-con...rustration.jpg
Congratulations. I'm sure you will have lots of fun.... My parents have just gone home having spent 4 months with my sister and 4 months with us.. Not too much of a problem. Dad did the garden for me. OH and me were both out all day at work. Have to say, after 4 months the house felt rather quite when they had gone (bearing in mind I have 3 teenage boys and OH). They have gone back to the UK and are considering moving here permanently.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MERCAT
Congratulations. I'm sure you will have lots of fun....
They've already been out on two previous occasions and I can categorically state that it will be about as much fun as anisthetic-free root canal surgery.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:51 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

They've already been out on two previous occasions and I can categorically state that it will be about as much fun as anisthetic-free root canal surgery.
Hutch, after the shit they caused last time, cant you put your foot down and say 'no'.

If my family had done that to us, no way would Mr PP allow them in the house and neither would I.

Do you really think they have learned their lesson?

Ive already told everyone I know that if they want to come and stay then fine, but we are 'not doing the guest house thing' but will help them find a rental.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:48 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

*weeps quietly into his hands*
I hear the UK is nice at xmas....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.