SW Scotland photos

Old Sep 12th 2015, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Scotland photos

Do keep them coming please.

Thank you
Old Sep 12th 2015, 7:24 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous thank you
Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

OK last lot for now:

This is a photo of a picture on the wall at the Visitor's Centre at Threave Castle near Castle Douglas:

This is a photo of Threave Castle on a lovely, crisp, winter's morning:

A view from Crossmichael, across Loch Ken towards Balmaghie churchyard:

Every Feb/March, Danevale House nr Crossmichael, nr Castle Douglas is open to the public to show off the snowdrops:

Keeping to the floral theme, the crocuses come out in Balmaghie Churchyard just after the snowdrops and Spring is definitely on the way:

Then a little later the daffodils come out (by Port William harbour):

Moving to an animal theme, talk is of acres to the cow in Oz, this is cows to the acre on a local dairy farm:

Deer by Loch Ken:

Who has been eating our grass?

Pheasant, near Crossmichael:

Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Rockcliffe near Dalbeattie:

Palnackie near Dalbeattie:

On the walking path between Kippford and Rockcliffe:

Looking down on the village of Gatehouse of Fleet (not mine, a scan of a postcard!):

3 of Kirkcudbright:

(Scan of postcard)

Taken from the golf course while waiting my turn to tee off - overlooking the very popular tourist town of Moffat in Dumfriesshire:

And finally the village of Moniaive north of Dumfries:

Old Sep 13th 2015, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Once again a very big thank you. We now wait for your next informative photographs. They certainly tell a story.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous photos of my homeland.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 6:32 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Fabulous photos of my homeland.
Mine too . They are wonderful once again. I have family in so many of these places. And then Moffat too - i used to enjoy trips up to there, the devils beef tub and then the park.

Arent the flowers just beautiful.

Look forward to the next batch
Old Sep 14th 2015, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

'Old Mortality' Balmaclellan churchyard:

View from Balmaclellan churchyard towards the village of New Galloway and the hills beyond:

Another view over Carlingwark Loch, Castle Douglas:

And for something different, some old rail posters extolling people to travel by train to and from the area:

Oppenheimer's painting of Kippford:

Red squirrel in Colvend garden:

Old Sep 14th 2015, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you so much. Nice to see the Red squirrel as there are so many greys. I always love love the Lochs.

Peter
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by themajor
Thank you so much. Nice to see the Red squirrel as there are so many greys. I always love love the Lochs.

Peter
Yes, red squirrels we see often locally but not as often as we used to. Like in many things the Americans (grey) try to take over.

Some very local ones - Castle Douglas:

The view from our garden if you like lochs (Carlingwark Loch and Lochside Park). In Winter:

In early Spring:

In Summer:

And in early Autumn (today - not a great day though):

Screel (hill to south of Castle Douglas; today):

Old Sep 14th 2015, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow what a view you have. A view to cherish. Takes me back to that bit of poetry...What life is this, if full of care. We have no time to stand and stare.

Thank you again.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 6:28 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Agree, what a stunning view. Didnt realise you lived in Castle Douglas. Glorious pictures again, love the squirrel. I often stay at the Clonyard when visiting now. Thank you again
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by themajor
Wow what a view you have. A view to cherish. Takes me back to that bit of poetry...What life is this, if full of care. We have no time to stand and stare.

Thank you again.
Thanks, yes one of my favourite verses and one of my favourite groups is/was Supertramp. The 'what is life' verse was written by W H Davies who literally was a tramp and his autobiography was entitled 'The autobiography of a supertramp' from which the group took its name (useless facts #367)

Yes, we do cherish the view each day.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Agree, what a stunning view. Didnt realise you lived in Castle Douglas. Glorious pictures again, love the squirrel. I often stay at the Clonyard when visiting now. Thank you again
Yep, CD. We used to live near Glenlochar to be close to the town and yet away from the hustle and bustle (and the children we teach!). However, last year we made the move into the town and really enjoy it. We are on the road out to Gelston/Auchencairn by the loch as the photos show. We're one of the relatively new houses up the slope in the photo of the CD sign.

The Clonyard Hotel is more popular these days. I think there has been a change of ownership (and cook) so friends who were there recently said they had a good meal there last week. We used to go there in the past when they had a monthly quiz night.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Taken this week at Wigtown. There is a bird sanctuary down by the old harbour (where the River Bladnoch runs into Wigtown Bay, now too silted for any sizeable craft). There is a bird hide with good views over the marshes, the town and to the Galloway hills beyond Newton Stewart and Creetown (the Merrick and Cairnsmore of Fleet are the main hills). In the County buildings (Town Hall) there is an area where you can view the Ospreys and their nest by a TV link to the nest which is somewhere nearby but for obvious reasons the location is secret. So here's some photos down by the harbour, from the bird hide, the view from the County buildings and one shot of a typical Wigtown street scene.

There's huge tides here as the mudflats indicate and when we were there the tide was coming in faster than the river flowing out so there was a bore which was almost strong enough to surf - inland!

(taken through a window with grubby paw prints on it!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.