SW Scotland photos

Old Sep 19th 2015, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

The Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SW Scotland photos

being from the other side of the solway - Maryport, its great to see the views of the Cumbrian side
Old Sep 20th 2015, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Cumbrian
being from the other side of the solway - Maryport, its great to see the views of the Cumbrian side
It's nice to see the Lake District etc from our side too. We get a very good view towards Maryport from nr Annan (Powfoot golf course).
Old Sep 20th 2015, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

We used to live in Whithorn back in 2000.Both worked in Newton Stewart.Lived also in a farmhouse just outside Garlieston.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
We used to live in Whithorn back in 2000.Both worked in Newton Stewart.Lived also in a farmhouse just outside Garlieston.
Small world, we frequently visit all those places as the photos show. My wife's brother and his wife live in Newton Stewart so we visit there often too.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:49 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

it is asmall world.Used to picnic near the grey mares tail which,if i remember correctly was en route to newton stewart from dalbeattie
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
it is asmall world.Used to picnic near the grey mares tail which,if i remember correctly was en route to newton stewart from dalbeattie
Yep, there's 2 Grey Mare's Tails in the area. The one I know best is near Moffat and there is indeed one over NS way (Talnotry):

Talnotry - Forestry Commission Scotland
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:59 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yep, there's 2 Grey Mare's Tails in the area. The one I know best is near Moffat and there is indeed one over NS way (Talnotry):

Talnotry - Forestry Commission Scotland
It wasm't the one near Moffat I know that - going back 40 years
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It wasm't the one near Moffat I know that - going back 40 years
Yep, was just saying there are 2. We haven't been to the Wigtownshire one - yet. My brother in law was in the police and his first posting was at Moffat. One of his first jobs was to rescue a climber half way up the Grey Mare's Tail who had slipped and broken his leg. He had to go up with ropes etc and bring the guy down to the base for the ambulance which came later as he was first responder. He said it was a very hair raising experience! It's a very nice run by the Grey Mares Tail, past St Mary's Loch and over to Selkirk and into the Borders.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Today's photos, taken today, on a trip from Castle Douglas, to Auchencairn and on to Dundrennan before returning home.

There's a viewpoint near Dundrennan and here's 2 photos; firstly looking in a southerly direction over the Solway, the offshore wind turbines of Robin Rigg and over to Cumbria and secondly looking northwards towards Bengairn (hill):

I started out the thread with pics of Sweetheart Abbey in New Abbey, this is Dundrennan Abbey in Dundrennan. This was built in 1142 (wow over 600 years before 'Cookie') by Fergus of Galloway, King David 1 of Scotland (better say King of Scots!) and monks from Rievaulx Abbey. Mary Queen of Scots spent her final night in Scotland in 1568 at the Abbey. There's a Port Mary a mile away where she departed from.

As we were driving through Dundrennan we saw this chap fishing - a wide shot and a close up:

Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

God I hate those wind farms with a vengance. The stream was a lovely photo.Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by themajor
God I hate those wind farms with a vengance. The stream was a lovely photo.Thanks for sharing.
Yes and no; behind those wind turbines is the nuclear power plant at Sellafield and I can hear Kraftwerk singing Radioactivity in my head whenever the word Sellafield is mentioned!

Old Sep 22nd 2015, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Taken at the weekend - trip to Garlieston, Wigtown (preparations for the Book Festival starting this Friday underway), around Moss of Cree to Newton Stewart, along the main A75 to Gatehouse of Fleet and over the 'moors' to Laurieston and then home to Castle Douglas. Apologies but nice sunny day again and good cloud cover for the photos.

Garlieston - evidence of a declining rural community, bank shut and the village visited by the RBS mobile bank:

Low tide Garlieston harbour:

Wigtown - the council is getting everything spick and span and lots of flower baskets out for the Book Festival. County Buildings with bowling club in the foreground:

The sign says it all:

Entrance to the County Buildings:

The sign on the cycle path tells where this is, looking at the Galloway hills:

Through Gatehouse of Fleet and another view of the Galloway hills:

Looking back over Fleet Bay with the Isle of Man in the background:

And lastly, closer to Castle Douglas, looking to Screel and Bengairn:

Yes, plenty of hills!!
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

This how I remember Scotland.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 6:35 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yes and no; behind those wind turbines is the nuclear power plant at Sellafield and I can hear Kraftwerk singing Radioactivity in my head whenever the word Sellafield is mentioned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EBTn_3DBYo
I'mnot a huge fan but equally they are preferable to nuclear practces.

Photos lovele as always thank you - I do love the ruins and the history
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'mnot a huge fan but equally they are preferable to nuclear practces.

Photos lovele as always thank you - I do love the ruins and the history
It's not easy is it, you have to burn fossil fuels, use nuclear fission or erect wind turbines to generate power and there are strong lobby groups for and against each one. For example I've got one friend who works for Birdlife International (like the worldwide RSPB) who passionately objects to the wind turbines in our area because of the number of birds killed by the blades. I've got another friend who is director of a company which puts up the wind farms so he is much in favour. My wife was brought up in the shadow of Chapelcross Power Station (now being de-commissioned) and never thought much of the potential danger of a nuclear power plant within miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.